Fears Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey! so i'm a level six optional gymnast in the E.A.G.L.E.S. Prep-Op program. I start competition in about a month and I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for getting over fears. I have three....

1. Front Handspring Front Tuck: I can do it into a pit but as soon as I hit the floor I freak out and kill my handspring
2. Back Walk Over on High Beam: I can do it as long as I know a coach is there but when they leave I freak out!!!!!!!!!!
3. Rod Floor Tumbling: Every time I get on the rod floor and try to back tumble, I freak out and all I can do is a round off!

Any suggestions would help soooooo much! I need the first two for competition!
Thanks!

On your back walkover, just try to picture your coach's hand always there. That's what I did and it helped me a lot! Also, try to think of "buzz words" that help you throw it like repeating - the coach is right there. It really helped me. And on the rod floor, if you tumble in a straight line then you will be fine. I picture a little line down the middle of the rod floor and whenever I'm upside down, I focus on it.

1) For fhs front tuck, the important thing is to just go for it. When I was learning it I had my coach spot me and a mat there. Both of that, and a confident attitude, should get you to flip.

2) I had a teammate who had that problem. Have your coach back away a little less every day until it's all by yourself. When you know they aren't there for good, it's still a little scary, but much less then if you skipped the little steps.

3) Spots, mats, and bravery!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get everything soon :)

For the handspring front tuck have you tried doing it into the pit but landing on a crash mat. You can build the mats up until you are landing on the mats higher or level with the floor. Should help you gain some confidence.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back