Coaches FHS vault, where to look

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gopuckgo

Coach
Proud Parent
Should the gymnast be looking at the springboard or vault table when running down the vault strip on a FHS vault? There have been mixed answers to this at our gym. Wondering what y'all think?

At our gym, there is a line about where they should take their last step... they look at that line, glance at the line on the springboard on their way to looking at the vault table. I know... not much help, lol... but that's what they do.

from beginning to end, vaulting has a 'horizontal/linear field of vision'. the athlete should see everything. this includes the board and table together. :)

from beginning to end, vaulting has a 'horizontal/linear field of vision'. the athlete should see everything. this includes the board and table together. :)

Excellent points above. Dunno does not need my cheers, but I do appreciate the concise rsvp. Cheers.

My opinion and what I coach: The above and - Point of focus changes during the vault. General broad vision during early run phase, clearer board/table focus during mid phase. Pre-contact focus depends on type of vault and experience/performance of athlete. WAG L7 HS point of focus moments before board is board/vault, pre-flight is hand placement anticipating the shoulder elevation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back