WAG Finger injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lynn

Proud Parent
I'm curious if anyone has ever dealt with a sprained pinky. What is the recovery time ( I am aware everyone recovers differently, just looking for generalized timeframe)? We have a meet a week from Saturday and state at the end of the month. My DD fell over the weekend and currently has to wear a splint. She practiced yesterday doing all that she could.

DS had a minor buckle fracture (also pinky) and was supposed to be off of all equipment for six weeks. He ended up being back on everything at 4 weeks out. Some of it depends on what they are doing, but it's hard even to do things like a handstand on a balance beam (or five million mushroom circles) with a pinky injury. DS buddy taped the finger for about a week after he started doing stuff. He had this injury at the end of October and had no issues afterward.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess about your daughter -- sprains can encompass a wide range of territory, and some of them can have longer healing time frames than fractures. What did the doctor say?

Minor sprain, not too long. Probably feel better in a week. Swelling might stay around for a few weeks. Someone here sprained her pinky but didn't effect anything she did after about 3 days. But, take caution. As with any injury, it's vulnerable to getting hurt again, and worse than it was. It may only be a pinky but it is important!

Dr said if pain persists after 7-10 days wearing the splint, she needs to have another xray. The Dr told us that the xray didn't show a break but her growth plates are still open and sometimes fractures can hide in or near the plates. They are going to look at the xray a little deeper to double check but she was pretty confident it wasn't broken.

Knowing my kid, and the fact that she has already had an injury this season that kept her sidelined somewhat for 18 weeks, if she can be back in just a few days, she will be in heaven. Her knuckle is purple and it does have swelling around the middle.

A few days sounds overly optimistic to me based on what you are reporting. I'd press her to be honest about the pain and make sure she knows that injuring it more seriously will increase the time off.

we can do gymnastics with finger and toe injuries. you didn't say how old or what level. i will tell you that i had an athlete dislocate and fracture her little finger 'stabbing' the rail on a Jaeger. she competed 4 days later. level 10 and about 120 pounds.

so, she'll have discomfort but as long as she feels she can hang on she'll be fine. fingers and toes are the least of a coaches concerns. so many fingers and toes...:)

for historical sake, we all competed with broken fingers and toes. i can report that everyone from my generation is fine. even those that play musical instruments professionally for a living today. :)

So maybe I can now let go of all the guilt I have about letting my beloved but irrepressible son get back to gymnastics two weeks early against doctor's advice. :)

I sprained my middle finger, pretty seriously as it swelled so much you couldn't see my joints. I couldn't bend my finger either. A week later I was able to do almost everything but bars. It took another week to be able to hang myself without pain. I could've done bars earlier (the pain wasn't that bad), but as it was summer training, we took it slowly.

I think it will be about how much pain she can handle and push through if it is a sprain. A break - might not want to push through, but it just depends. Gripping the bars might be a problem with either one, but depending on the level she could possibly still compete other events.

to clarify, i'm not speaking about a 'displaced fracture'. just a crack or sprain. :)

She's competing level 4. We have a meet a week from Saturday and then state at the end of the month. I'm thinking next week is iffy but that call will be between her coaches and her. I know how she would feel if she has to scratch but she would eventually understand it's for the best.

I'm curious if anyone has ever dealt with a sprained pinky. What is the recovery time ( I am aware everyone recovers differently, just looking for generalized timeframe)? We have a meet a week from Saturday and state at the end of the month. My DD fell over the weekend and currently has to wear a splint. She practiced yesterday doing all that she could.
I know this is a really old post, but I am literally in the same boat and curious to know what you ended up doing and how it went? Hoping you’re gonna see this

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back