Parents First L6 Meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm so sorry to brag...really. But I couldn't be openly super happy for my dd at our home gym's Meet. yesterday. And I'm just so freaking proud of her I want to shout it from the roof tops! Sadly, the parents at my gym get really pissy or annoyed when any one girl outshines the rest. So I just smiled politely and left the meet.

This was my 9 year old's first L6 meet and she cleaned house! First on vault, floor, and beam. Second on bars. First AA! Her AA score was 35.6 (which I'm told is very good for L6 which is notoriously hard in terms of scoring) and the second place girl scored a 33.45. So it was a HUGE margin.

Granted, this was a small meet and the "heavy hitting" gyms weren't there. But still, it was a great confidence booster for my kiddo. I just wish others in our gym would let those who win celebrate.

Thanks for letting me share it here.

That's awesome when they have a good day! Great results! DD deserves it, it comes from hard work! Congrats:)

35AA is reason to celebrate. My 11 yr old is in the 33's at her first two L6 meets. Congrats to your DD, she is clearly doing great!

That's a really good floor score...at the couple meets I've been to so far, the highest L6 floor score I've seen was a 9.1, and I saw plenty of what I thought were really strong floor routines (like I'd be thinking now *that* has got to get a 9, and then the score comes up 8.1! :(). I've seen some really high beam scores (9.6+), but they were extremely well deserved. I still havent seen a 9 on bars, and people are placing w/ high 7's even in the though/larger age divisions. My daughter is also in the 33's...and she was in the 35's in L5. I'd say pretty much her whole team seems to be experiencing about 2 pt drop from their typical L5 scores last year :/.

Last edited:
That's a really good floor score...at the couple meets I've been to so far, the highest L6 floor score I've seen was a 9.1, and I saw plenty of what I thought were really strong floor routines (like I'd be thinking now *that* has got to get a 9, and then the score comes up 8.1! :(). I've seen some really high beam scores (9.6+), but they were extremely well deserved. I still havent seen a 9 on bars, and people are placing w/ high 7's even in the though/larger age divisions. My daughter is also in the 33's...and she was in the 35's in L5. I'd say pretty much her whole team seems to be experiencing about 2 pt drop from their typical L5 scores last year :/.

Yeah, that 8.0 on bars was good enough for second place! Scary! I've warned my dd a million times about how low the scoring is in L6. I'm worried that this first meet was somewhat inflated in terms of scores. Our next meet is a BIG meet with a lot of the big name gyms in the region. So the scores at that one will be very telling. My dd skipped L5, so I can't compare to that. She was in the 37s and State Champion as a L4, so I am really trying to prepare her for the differences.

That's awesome!!! I'm sorry you can't feel free to celebrate, but I would have been high-fiving DD as soon as we got in the car! Way to go!!!

That's awesome!!! I'm sorry you can't feel free to celebrate, but I would have been high-fiving DD as soon as we got in the car! Way to go!!!

Thanks! Yup that's exactly what I did! We were cheering and screaming and whooping it up in the car...lol! It was funny!

It is VERY hard at my gym. Everyone just does this tight-lipped smile thing...super fake. I cheer loudly for ALL of the girls on the team. But there are several moms in the gym who (I guess?) don't like my daughter because she has only been doing gymnastics for 2 years and consistently wins whereas their kids have been doing the sport for years...started in rec, then pre-team and so on.

And one went as far to say that my kid keeps "stealing" her kid's gold! Because her kid often comes in second after mine, so if my daughter wasn't there, her daughter would be winning. I don't know. They annoy me..,lol. I just smile and keep my mouth shut!

That sucks!! At our gym we make a point to cheer quite loudly for ALL of our girls. The moms are all pretty close and we want the girls to feel like part of a team even though it's an individual sport. If one of our girls wins or does well, we all cheer as if it was our own kid. I hate that you have those issues with the other moms.

On a side note, I went on a field trip this week for my son's gifted and talented program at school. I just thought CGM's were bad. The gifted kid moms were OUT OF CONTROL!!! Little Suzie is reading Chaucer at 8 years old......Little Johnny is being monitored by Duke University......We don't allow TV in our home. We went to a mock 1800's Cajun village. One of the mom's kept asking detailed questions and taking notes because apparently she is planning to start making her own soap and whittling toys for her kids like the ones they had there. I'm sure she'll do it all using tools that were forged from iron ore she found in her own backyard! lol. It was out of control. I had to do a lot of private eye rolling.

I'm so sorry the vibe is like that. DD has a couple of teammates who are super, super awesome and were regularly scoring in the 36-38 AA range at L6, and we were all absolutely thrilled for them. One reason I'm so glad DD managed to move up to L7 is that we get to watch these fantastic athletes compete for one more year before they move on quickly to upper level optionals.

Congratulations to your DD. It sounds like she's setting herself up for a great year.

It is VERY hard at my gym. Everyone just does this tight-lipped smile thing...super fake. I cheer loudly for ALL of the girls on the team. But there are several moms in the gym who (I guess?) don't like my daughter because she has only been doing gymnastics for 2 years and consistently wins whereas their kids have been doing the sport for years...started in rec, then pre-team and so on.

That is funny--among our pre-team moms the situation is currently the exact opposite. The moms whose girls have been in the program for the past year are openly resentful towards the kids who just moved up because the new girls are apparently stealing attention from their more talented and deserving children--despite the fact that two more coaches have been brought in to ensure that everyone gets enough attention. Mine is the smallest (but not the youngest), so I get a lot of comments to the effect of, "Oh, she is so tiny! Isn't it so cute that she can't [insert skill here]?" My only strategy is to cheer for all of the girls at every opportunity.

And congratulations to your daughter! If she were on my daughter's team, I would have celebrated with you.

That's unfortunate and I've been in that situation. DD's previous gym was full of parents like those you are dealing with. The tight lipped smile lol. I know that one well. I could write a book on this subject. DD is at a different gym now and to my shock it is the complete opposite. I assumed that all gym mom's were awful. For the first 6 months I spoke to no one at DD's gym. Once I got to know some moms and the season started I was so surprised how different it was. The experience was so positive, everyone is great and sweet. At first I thought it was because my DD was more middle of the pack at this gym and not the top kid so nobody felt threatened. Then when she started inching her way up and was one of the top scoring kids the attitude never changed. Our girls were truly a team and we were more concerned about our team score than our kids individual scores. All I can say is that gymnastics should be this way and not what you are experiencing.

I could be totally off base on this, but the old gym was smaller and didn't have much of an optional team etc. The new gym is very competitive with huge level 9/10 teams with almost every kid making nationals, lots of college scholarships to the top tier schools, a few elites etc. I thought going to a more competitive gym would mean cut throat parents. It's actually the opposite. There are so many talented kids that the parents are humbled. Nobody has the attitude that their kid is better or entitled to something more than the next kid.

Good luck to her the rest of the season. My DD just finished her level 6 season!

So interesting! YES, we are a small, small gym with very few optional girls. No one even close to making nationals.

We are considering making the switch to a bigger, more competitive team...with lots of girls in the 9/10 range and lots of girls going to to college, etc. I would move in a heartbeat, but it means a commute (current gym is 5 minutes from home) and a really tough schedule. She would get home at 9:30 on school nights...and at age 9, that just seems too much right now.

Would her gym let her move up to Level 7... that way she can't steal the other girl's Gold? She definitely has the score to move up in most gyms.... of course that would really burn the moms that don't like that ur daughter has only been there for 2 years :D

Good luck either way.

And one went as far to say that my kid keeps "stealing" her kid's gold! Because her kid often comes in second after mine, so if my daughter wasn't there, her daughter would be winning. I don't know. They annoy me..,lol. I just smile and keep my mouth shut!
Those people are everywhere. Don't worry too much about it. There are probably some good families in there as well - just stick with them.

That sucks!! At our gym we make a point to cheer quite loudly for ALL of our girls. The moms are all pretty close and we want the girls to feel like part of a team even though it's an individual sport. If one of our girls wins or does well, we all cheer as if it was our own kid. I hate that you have those issues with the other moms.

On a side note, I went on a field trip this week for my son's gifted and talented program at school. I just thought CGM's were bad. The gifted kid moms were OUT OF CONTROL!!! Little Suzie is reading Chaucer at 8 years old......Little Johnny is being monitored by Duke University......We don't allow TV in our home. We went to a mock 1800's Cajun village. One of the mom's kept asking detailed questions and taking notes because apparently she is planning to start making her own soap and whittling toys for her kids like the ones they had there. I'm sure she'll do it all using tools that were forged from iron ore she found in her own backyard! lol. It was out of control. I had to do a lot of private eye rolling.

Oh I absolutely LOL'd just now! Too funny! As a teacher I have had a lot of experience with ultracompetitive parents and you're exactly right, they exist and are ridiculous no matter whether you're dealing with gymnastics or academics or whatever.

OP, congrats to your DD, you both have every reason to be proud. Don't let the haters get you down. :cool:

I don't often ACTUALLY laugh out loud when I read CB but this made me spit my coffee!! Thanks for that!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back