Parents First L8 Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymmom14

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Well overall not great!

Stated on bars- Train Wreck! She had been doing so well in practice. Tried her piourette 3 times. Went over on cast to handstand. But, she did not lose her cool. Kept smiling. (you don't want to know the score!!!)

Beam- only got a 9.5 start value. Connection too slow. But it was a nice routine. A bit cautious, but she stayed on. (which I was glad about after bars!) (Score: 8.45)

Floor- nice routine. good tumbling. Nice switch leg leap. (Score 8.9)

Vault- we were not sure if she was going to try the tsuk or just do a fhspring. First vault- she DID it! Landed low and squatty, but none the less did it. Second vault- run was off and she did a timer. Then the controversy.... long disucssion....no score flashed. Later I found out one of the judges thought our coach touched dd, which now results in a 0! He tried to talk to the judges and even show them my video, but no luck! I told dd it was no big deal. People make mistakes. I saw her do her vault, her coach saw her do her vault. I told her just let it go! ( I am really maturing with this attitude lol)

Overall, I would chalk this meet up as a learning experience.

Last edited:
It is always great at times like these to remember all the hard work that got them where they are. Gymnastics is such a long journey and just as they master one level they are thrown a curveball and have to develop a whole new skills set. MOst other sports are not like this. For her to just go out and compete is amazing, she should be proud that she has got to a level that most gymnasts do not.

Every meet will show some improvements. Try to help her see the things she did well, and take the focus off the other stuff.

Judging can really bite sometimes!

She knows she did it. That is all that matters. Well done for getting through her first level 8 meet. Good luck for the next one! Sounds like floor and beam went well.

Glad she got through her first L8 meet. Sorry about the judging, that really stinks. WTG on doing the Tsuk :)

She did a great first L8 meet! She got through it, she competed that vault (regardless of what judges said) and bars will continue to improve! The i mportant thing is.... that first meet is done with!!! I think they work out some of their jitters with the first meet of the season. Judging... well, it is what it is... that's all we can say about it! Tell her "job well done!"

Thanks for the support. She is proud of herself and she knows we are proud of her. I don't blame the judges at all. Things happen in life and you just have to accept it and handle it with respect. I told my dd the story of the poor mlb pitcher that had a no hitter going this past summer and the ump at 1st made an unintentional bad call in the 9th inning. No one felt worse than the poor ump. It was replayed on national tv a million times. That pitcher handled it respectfully. So did dd. Neither got a video review!! lol.

I agree with getting the 1st meet over. Beam, vault and floor went pretty well. All have room for improvement. Bars, funny, that was the event I was least worried about. She had been doing that event pretty well. Oh well!

She was suppose to move to L8 mid Jan., but 2 weeks ago coach asked her to go to this meet. So she did well on short notice.

Next meet in 2 weeks is at L7, since we were already registered and our L8's are not going to that meet. It should take some of the pressure off her and let her train and get confident at all the skills.

Sounds like our gym's 1st L8 meet last year. One mom was thrilled they got to start on bars. It was one disaster after another. My gymmie who is usually the one they look to for a decent score had 3 falls. None of the girls really knew what happened---the coach said their warm ups had been awesome(they warmed up in another gym).

To give you some hope, at states everyone of them scored over 9 on bars The 3 scores that counted for our team were a 9.65, 9.5 and 9.475. She'll turn it around too.

Big accomplishment in just going and doing it. Sounds like you're all handling the tsuk issue with grace----hey you have the video so she knows she did it.

That sounds like she is off to a great start. Hitting all 4 events every time at the higher levels is so difficult. Mid 8's is a great way to start. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Other than the hiccups on bars and the bad judgement call, it sounds like she did great. 1st time at any level is always tough. Now that she is competing @ L7 at least for one more meet, it may be a good idea to perfect that L8 routine. It will give her a head start when she's moved to L8 for good. I believe everything she's doing in L8 is legal for L7.

With that said, I'm clueless about the coach touching gymnast rule. Can someone explain why a gymnast would get a 0 for being touched?

Sounds like she did really well for her first l8 meet!

And I'm with Not A Mom--don't they normally just give a deduction for the coach touching/spotting, not zero out the routine (I know our state's High school rules have it zero'd, but not club)?

Our coach told me that a coach touching a gymnast resulting in a 0 is a new rule change for this year (USAG). Anyone else have more info?

I have no info about the deduction, but just wanted to post to say congrats to your dd on a good start to her Level 8 season. I know how hard bars is at this level and I'm sure it will only improve from here on out. Beam and bars sound like they were great and once she gets more comfortable with her series, she will be scoring well on beam.

Sounds like the coach really did not touch your dd on the vault and she is going to be fine at the next meet. There is not a whole lot you can do about a judging call like that. We have had a few parents hot about judging calls when their video shows otherwise, but I guess there is no such thing as instant replay in JO gymnastics, though I think they do use it at some elite meets?

Anyway, yay for the first meet being done and the jitters out of the way!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back