First time with grips....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter and her friend are just getting grips for the first time. We were uncertain on which size to order so talked to the lady who answered at US Glove. She told us if you are in between sized to go to the lower size because they will stretch out. Mine have not arrived yet but my friend said her daughter cannot stretch her hand out in hers. Is this normal? She said that when she curls her hand as she will around the bar they seem OK but did not know if they were too small? Just curious b/c mine should be getting here any time. So for grips when they are brand new how should they fit? Thanks for any tips!!

Before she does anything to them that would make them non-returnable, just have her bring them into the gym and ask the coach. To be honest, I have know idea how grips are supposed to fit. The coach takes care of all that. All I'm good for is writing the checks.

I asked this a few months ago and the response from coaches was that you should not be able to stretch your fingers straight. Dd prefers hers small so her hands stay in a "c" shape. And after reading about grip lock here, I'm glad she prefers small!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

yes. hand/palm in a "C" shape when opening the hand.:)

Did the coach not do any of this? At our gym, the girls were measured by the coaches and the coaches placed the order. We just paid for them when they came in. I get the impression they'd be very dubious of a parent buying them on their own.

You're not supposed to be able to stretch your hand all the way open, especially when you haven't even started breaking them in yet.

Did the coach not do any of this? At our gym, the girls were measured by the coaches and the coaches placed the order. We just paid for them when they came in. I get the impression they'd be very dubious of a parent buying them on their own.
Nope, here we are supposed to size and order them. Then have coach check them. I figure its the same as when I was in dance...you were responsible for buying your own tap/ballet/pointe shoes. Funny, now that I'm the mom, I cringe when dd stretches/sands/scrapes her grips-since they are so expensive. I suppose my mom thought the same thing when I used to get new pointe shoes and then proceeded to rip out the shanks and beat them against the wall to loosen them up!!! I'm surprised she didn't faint!!! lol :D

Thanks everyone. She apparently showed them to the coach today and he told her they are too small. I am kind of surprised because it sounds like they were fitting like everyone said they should? She ordered the next size up and I did tell her that it can be dangerous if they are too big. Guess she will see which work best!!

OK I am getting ready to just throw the grips out the window!!!! My daughter got hers yesterday and I had her try them on at home. They appeared to me from what I have read that they would be too big. She could open her hand all the way flat with them on with no problem. I told her to take them in and she did and the coach she showed them to yesterday said they were fine. Well today there was a different coach there who looked at them and she told her they are too small!! Told her she needs the next size up. I am so confused and annoyed to be frank. Why would one coach say they are OK and let her use them and another say they are too small? Who should I listed to? I frankly would rather them be too small from what I have read but actually would like them to be just right! Any insight here anyone? :)

Wow- than it explains nothing. Definitely should not be able to extend hand with dowel grips. I understand that in your gym it is the parents responsibility to order grips, (although why that is the policy is baffling,) but perhaps you could speak with the coach and explain your unfamiliarity with the process and ask if they could measure your dd and recommend a company to order from that they feel comfortable with to avoid this in the future.
Our HC orders several pairs in each size at a time and she personally measures and fits the gymnasts, who go home with their grips that night and the parents pay the HC, who then uses the money to replenish her inventory. Because she orders several pairs and gets a bulk and shipping discount- the cost to gymnasts is a few dollars less than if we had ordered them on our own.

I would have loved to have nothing more to do with the grips than to pay for them. Unfortunately that is not how it is done in our gym. I am just frustrated bc I am getting conflicting opinions on whether they fit or not and I don't want her using them if they are not right. Her hand when the grips are on can be held totally flat and straight. They is not a lot of excess leather with her hand held straight but her hand is definitely not having to be bent to any degree with them on. Now how do I decide whose opinion I should listen to?

Call the grip company, they are usually awesome at these things and are more than happy to help. Take a photo of your dd wearing the grips and email it to them, ask if it is correct. I would want to follow the opinion of the person who makes the product.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back