WAG Flexibility

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

j5flip

Gymnast
Just looking for some advice. I'm probably the most non flexible gymnast ever. I stretch all the time, and have been doing gymnastics for years. But I still don't have my splits. I've been trying for years to get my flexibility to were it should be, but that clearly isn't happening. Is there anyone else who has this problem, or someone who could give me some advice? I've tried about every stretch out there, I'm just running out of options and I need this flexibility. Thanks y'all!

Omg I have the exact same problem!!! I've been doing gymnastics for years and stretch all the time, but I can't get my splits. One thing I try to do is do stretches, and then also come up with stuff that stretches my legs.
I would suggest stretching as much as you can until you feel loose, then hold each split for 30ish seconds. Then, stop for maybe five minutes and then hold each split for a minute. Try this everyday. Sometimes exercising beforehand can help too.
And if your daring, try putting your socks on and doing splits on the woodfloors. It hurts but it helps!!!!! Good luck girl!!!!! :)

'I'm probably the most non flexible gymnast ever.'
No, that would be Kali! I use a brick to demonstrate to her what flexibility looks like, for conditioning the other girls do the limbo under her middle splits, her pike stretch looks like she is slouching at the dinner table! ;) So, no you probably aren't the most inflexible. :)
Having said that, as I'm sure you know, some kids are just more naturally flexible than others. However, you might be one of the girls that are more naturally strong, so they are jealous of you for that. :)
Years ago I had a young class girl come up to me and ask if she could be on team. I told her I thought she had everything it would take, but she was no where near any of her splits which were required, and tryouts were in only two weeks. To this day I'm still inspired by her. She got all three down to the floor and made team! She used that same drive and determination to go on to be an outstanding gymnast and she's a pretty great person besides. :)
Point is, if you have the drive and determination you can and will get them. Doing them at gym is never enough, so a lot of time has to be spent doing them away from gym. After a hot bath is a good time. I also tell my girls if they watch TV, every time commercials come on, sit in your splits for the entire time. It either makes their splits really good, or gets them to quit watching so much TV. I win either way! ;)
Also, talk to your coach about it, as I will force stretch girls that request it. Good luck and never quit. :)

Just looking for some advice. I'm probably the most non flexible gymnast ever. I stretch all the time, and have been doing gymnastics for years. But I still don't have my splits. I've been trying for years to get my flexibility to were it should be, but that clearly isn't happening. Is there anyone else who has this problem, or someone who could give me some advice? I've tried about every stretch out there, I'm just running out of options and I need this flexibility. Thanks y'all!

I think it's really great when people really dedicate themselves to their flexibility, but I would just offer one word of caution: don't go too hard or too fast. Sharp pain in a stretch means you've hit the stretch reflex, which will set you back in your flexibility.

Flexibility is all about consistency. Make sure you're doing your mobilization exercises every day, but do rest when your body asks you too. Rest (even though it may not always feel this way) will help your muscles/tissues adapt to the changes--and kind of seal the deal so you loose less of it over time.

There are a few "problem" spots for front splits--namely the front of the hips and the hamstrings. If you can get a really great release on both of these before even attempting your splits, you'll see much greater gains. Practice deep lunges (emphasizing the hip flexor) and forward folds (straight legs, standing, hanging your head toward the ground). Also, roll on a foam roller to find any tight spots, and either roll or massage those away (this helps more than you can imagine).

If you're not familiar with PNF stretching, get to know it well! It will be your best friend in this endeavor. I typically recommend 4 rounds of 10 second contraction followed by 5 seconds release (yep, that's 1 minute).

Also, remember that your muscles are meant to move your body in many different ways--and they're all connected. Only stretching your legs forward and back in your front splits stretches only those directions. Try this one: start in your left splits, and try to keep your feet exactly where they are and rotate through your middle splits to your right splits, then go back. Try doing this back and forth 3-5 times.

I've been working on some training-related progressions for middle split flexibility. It's not quite finished yet, but you can take a look at the work-in-progress at training.captziti.com

Good luck, and please contact me if you want more info or if you'd like me to clarify anything!

you're a former gymnast? i'm 3 times your age and a former gymnast and my Jap splits are closer to the floor than yours!!! hahahahahaha lol :)

you're a former gymnast? i'm 3 times your age and a former gymnast and my Jap splits are closer to the floor than yours!!! hahahahahaha lol :)

Not sure you have to be able to do something before you can coach it. If so, I think Bela and several others might be in trouble. ;)

I used to be just the same when I did gymnastics! I did get it eventually though - what worked for me is only pushing yourself every second day. When you stretch you create tiny tears in your muscles which will (hopefully) heal a little more flexible then when they started, but if you're tearing your muscles everyday then your not giving them a chance to heal which makes your stretch become more and more painful and you less likely to push yourself as far. You can stretch everyday, but only to the point you've already achieved - then only every second day work past this e.g. stretch for splits (lunges etc.) every day but only actually go into splits every second day. I used to alternate between hips/legs one day and shoulders/back the next for flexibility. Hope this helps :)

Not sure you have to be able to do something before you can coach it. If so, I think Bela and several others might be in trouble. ;)

Bela can only straddle far enough to straddle his tractor. lol! :)

Have a look at Lisa Howell's videos on YouTube and the ballet blog site. Flexibility isn't just about stretching muscles, and restrictions are not always where you think they are.

Use a door frame and do standing split, and hold on to it...every other day pull yourself closer to the wall..thats what my DD did and can now SLEEP in her straddle, all the way flat against the floor..puts me in pain everytime I see her as I am not flexible at all lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back