Parents Flexible Spending Account and Gym Stuff?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lilmisssunshine

Proud Parent
It looks like we may have overestimated our flexible spending account needs by a lot, so I'm looking around for ways to use it up. I see "athletic supports" as one of the allowable expenses, so I'm wondering if any of you have used these accounts for basic gym expenses like grips.

The gym's already ordered them, so I don't even know if they could get me a separate receipt, but it would be cool if I could use my FSA.

Or any other things like this that you've used the FSA for? (Not counting hospital bills or physical therapy from injuries...)

Interesting. Although I will say for something else, just keep your receipts and it may just be at risk for review. I have had items selected for reviewmy receipts did not have a good enough printed descriptions, and so the spending was rejected after previously approved.

Not sure grips would qualify, they would be in the same category to me as a baseball glove or soccer shin guards. While they help protect the body when playing the sport, wouldn't consider them "athletic supports". Thinking only ankle braces, knee wraps etc would qualify as "supports". You can stock your medicine cabinet - sunscreen, bandaids, ibuprofen, allergy meds, hot and cold packs, etc.

We don't have a flex spend but we do have an HSA. I think they are pretty similar in terms of the athletic supports area. We have bought athletic tape, pre-wrap, wrist guards (tiger paws), braces for wrists, ankles, knees and grips. The grips is the only one of the list that could possibly be denied if we were ever auditing but I am doubtful. It is a preventative/supportive item.

Reactions: sce
As a former HR benefits person, I would say grips would most likely not be covered under a flex spending account.

I thought the rules changed a few years ago, and you could no longer use FSA for over the counter items like Advil and band aids? Not sure about knee supports and the like, but I feel like thhe stipulation is that they are "medically necessary"

I thought the rules changed a few years ago, and you could no longer use FSA for over the counter items like Advil and band aids? Not sure about knee supports and the like, but I feel like thhe stipulation is that they are "medically necessary"

I think you are right, that all medication might now need a prescription from a doctor to qualify to be deducted. I do believe that all first aid supplies are still ok though, as they are considered medically necessary to treat injuries. Here is an interesting search engine:

https://dtg.adp.com/FSAFEDSExpenseViewer#/search

When we have excess, this is when we get the sports glasses or prescription sunglasses for driving.

It looks like we may have overestimated our flexible spending account needs by a lot, so I'm looking around for ways to use it up. I see "athletic supports" as one of the allowable expenses, so I'm wondering if any of you have used these accounts for basic gym expenses like grips.

The gym's already ordered them, so I don't even know if they could get me a separate receipt, but it would be cool if I could use my FSA.

Or any other things like this that you've used the FSA for? (Not counting hospital bills or physical therapy from injuries...)

Me too! Someone please let me know if this changed again.

You can usually get a doctor to prescribe knee, ankle, wrist supports. My pharmacy is awesome (small town pharmacy and all) they would have been willing to order tiger paws/ golden hands for us if the doc wrote out a script (I was bored when was getting my flu shot and asked a bunch of questions - knowing they had ordered me a custom ankle brace once). They would probably have done the same with grips (with a script... Rx - for skin tearing protection and prevention).

You could also ask your pediatrician to write prescriptions for your OTC meds explaining that your FSA will cover it that way...our office does this all the time for patients with these accounts

Jealous that your FSA still has money! I always burn through it by around 8 months in lol! That being said, one of the things I use it for is chiropractor and massage for my daughter. As a Level 10, massage has really helped her! So I buy a package and save money instead of individual visits. Chiro visits are covered to 12 by insurance. So I buy a package from her chiro, too.

We are very lucky. Our insurance is ridiculously good and I feel very fortunate. Before my husband was hired on by his company, we had a plan that had an $11,000 deductible. Now, we pay basically nothing, except for dental work. After a surprise $2,000 bill last year (with recommendations for a lot more work), we increased the FSA, but then we switched to a more conservative dentist who doesn't recommend any work.

I was asking my husband if he had any things he wanted to take care of, and he mentioned a few...but I'm pretty sure all of those are things that would be fully covered, aside from the $10 co-pay.

We are very lucky.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back