Parents Floor music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
Since it’s been kind of slow here.. My daughter needs new floor music this season. She has no idea what she wants, other than not jazz/big band because that’s what she’s always had and she’s “sick of it”. :D

She’s 15 and level 10, so not looking for cutesy. But she’s not super powerful, or super graceful and she’s rather shy and inhibited. So as you can imagine, floor is a struggle. Her last routines were pretty pose heavy and that’ll probably be the same with this one. Any ideas? I don’t think she needs custom music yet.. That’s not really much of a thing at her gym. And the choreo is done by her coach, so she doesn’t need that. Just looking for types of music or specific pieces that might work for her.

What about something with a bit of Latin flair to it? I think you can do lots of pose heavy moves to it and maybe have some fun, and its not too little kid you dont have to go full salsa but I think if you look in that category on the sites you can find some stuff that could work. I also think movie/TV soundtracks are a good place to find something fun...some of them can be over done but there are some out there that could be good. Game of Thrones could be a good pose heavy routine I think (and we are a year or two away from peak popularity?). What about something from the new Wednesday netfix show I think she did a really cool version of paint it black you might be able to find. Stranger things theme song? Maybe some broadway tunes?

Floor music time of year is great and awful all at the same time. I can never find exactly the right thing sometimes the beat is good but the sound is too "synthesized" or its great sound quality but not a fan of the actual song. DD wanted something "fun" this year but that can be hard to do without being to "young"

If she’s looking for inspiration, this is a great place to start browsing. It’s a comprehensive list of pretty much every piece of music that had been used in international competition over the last decade or so (if you click on the gymnast number it’ll tell you which gymnast/s used it and when and then if she hears one she likes, she can find a YouTube video to see how it could look.

We recently went to our first competition of the season (Australia), and the music very much followed two trends - there was a lot of what we called ‘pirate music’ (theatrical orchestral, lots of dramatic drumming), and there was a lot of Latin rhythm. So after a while, when something a bit different - Eastern European folk, or an 80s pop song - started playing you could feel the energy in the room rise.

(the 80s pop song was Crocodile Rock, which managed to be fun without being too young!)

My daughter likes Broadway or movie music. Her current thing is some sort of Star Wars she just can’t seem to actually get it done, though

I would say go for “older” retro music (70s, 80s), try out some video game or movie soundtracks she likes, or to go try something super out there (DD wants to try and find “clown music” for next year)

One of the things I notice about lots of low level musical routines, and it doesn't really matter what activity: Dance, gymanstics, figure skating, synchronized swimming:

The music is distracting if the player's moves are not somehow in step with the music. music with irregular complex rhythms, (tango, samba) can both be very challenging, but also allows moves of different timing.

One inspiration may be ballet music -- it's designed to be danced to. Also look at choreographed dances in musicals.

Take it a step further: Film the routine in slo-mo, so you can get accurate timing (iphone has a slomo resoltuion of 0.004 seconds. Now use an audio editor to do the same with music.

Good audio editors can change the length of music without changing the pitch.

So: Take your music. Develop a routine that fits it pretty well. Tweak the music to fit the routine better. Practice the routine to the tweaked music.

Look at the dance of the knights in Prokofief's "Romeo and Juliet"
Look at Stravinski's Rite of Spring

There are so many options it can be difficult! I always tell my DD to make sure she chooses something that she can stand to listen to repeatedly for months without getting tired of it. She generally looks for something with a solid consistent beat to follow. She usually looks for a song she really likes and then goes to YouTube to look at different remixes. Trap remixes of classical music can be really interesting!

It's been months and you probably found something already, but I want to share.

We looked at TV show theme intros. They're 1-1.5 minutes long, no vocals, have good drops, swells, and final notes. Many tell a whole story in that time.
We ended up with the Succession theme last year and will use it this year as well. We also liked Gravity Falls and a few pieces from the Loki soundtrack.

Good luck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back