Parents Fly-away meet tips/suggestions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Earlier this week our gym sent out an email saying that Platinum gymnasts had the option to go to a meet in Florida, but we had to respond by the next day at 5pm. We said yes, and now we have about a month to book flights, and we don’t even know what time she is competing at yet! This is also our first fly-away meet in general, so please, any tips?

1. Make a long weekend or mini vacation out of it if you can, leaving a day before and after the meet so you don’t have to worry about booking a flight around a meet time that you probably won’t know until closer to the meet.
2. Make sure her leotard, warm up, gym bag, and grips are part of your carry on so they end up in lost luggage.
3. Find something fun to do to make the trip memorable. My daughter’s memories of our travel meets are the memories made with friends or family, not the medals or routines performed.

If you live in or are changing planes in a part of the county that may impacted by winter weather fly out earlier in the day on the day before the meet. Don't book yourself on the last flight of the day, even if it's the day before.

Reactions: JBS
If you live in or are changing planes in a part of the county that may impacted by winter weather fly out earlier in the day on the day before the meet. Don't book yourself on the last flight of the day, even if it's the day before.
We’re planning to do a non stop from a bigger airport early morning the day before, so hopefully going to avoid any weather problems!

Make sure she has her grips in her bag BEFORE you leave the gym on the last practice before the meet! She “always” has an extra set of broken in grips in her gym bag but left both at the gym before her first meet and the gym was closed on the day we were leaving!

I was totally reading this thread wrong… I thought @Susrose was asking where the Gasparilla meet was at. Sorry… totally read this wrong… I was confused.

This is something I've only come to understand after participating in big out-of-state flyaway meets, especially those of the 'Invitational' type: sometimes, the scores from these meets don't show up anywhere afterward (on myUSAGapp, mymeetscoresonline.com, or meetscoresonline.com). It's frustrating for athletes and/or parents to invest so much effort in practicing, spend time and money on travel, and miss school to attend these competitions, only to find that their scores are not recorded anywhere. All they receive is a scorecard. We recently attended an invitational meet out of state, and our girls performed well. However, it's frustrating to see that even though the scores are available in PDF format on meetscoresonline.com, they haven't appeared on any of the websites. In our state, all meet scores (except for Intrasquad meets) show up either on the myUSAG site or mymeetscoresonline.com, so not having this visibility came as an unpleasant surprise. It's not directly related to travel meets, but it's something to keep in mind.

mymeetscores has a form you can use to submit a link to the meet's scores on meetscoresonline, and they should eventually add it to the site. It's unusual for a meet to be on meetscoresonline and not show up on mymeetscores, try submitting the link to the page where they are published and see if they add them.

mymeetscores has a form you can use to submit a link to the meet's scores on meetscoresonline, and they should eventually add it to the site. It's unusual for a meet to be on meetscoresonline and not show up on mymeetscores, try submitting the link to the page where they are published and see if they add them.
Thank you! I actually emailed them about a week ago, but still do not see them yet. They seem to have removed the form now, unfortunately.

As I understand it, Mymeetscores basically scrapes data from other sites - so if it's not available elsewhere you won't find it on MMS. I don't think they are concerned about accuracy as demonstrated by the numerous posts over the years on here complaining missing/incorrect data and no resolution- It is free because it is loaded with adverts.

Certainly, I understand that relying on a free website may not always be reliable. However, it feels unfair to the dedicated athletes who have invested time and effort into their training and participation in meets when only specific results from certain levels receive visibility on the myUSAG app, while others are excluded as if they did not participate in the meet. It's particularly puzzling that all Level 3 results are excluded and only partial Level 4 scores are displayed. Considering that we pay membership fees to USAG, I can't help but feel that this treatment is unfair. This was a sanctioned meet. Am I mistaken in thinking so???

Certainly, I understand that relying on a free website may not always be reliable. However, it feels unfair to the dedicated athletes who have invested time and effort into their training and participation in meets when only specific results from certain levels receive visibility on the myUSAG app, while others are excluded as if they did not participate in the meet. It's particularly puzzling that all Level 3 results are excluded and only partial Level 4 scores are displayed. Considering that we pay membership fees to USAG, I can't help but feel that this treatment is unfair. This was a sanctioned meet. Am I mistaken in thinking so???
From my understanding, the meet host has to upload the scores to myusag. It has nothing to do with usag itself.

Thank you for the information! I contacted the listed meet host too, but unfortunately, no reply was received to this date (I used the contact form on the meet website).

Thank you for the information! I contacted the listed meet host too, but unfortunately, no reply was received to this date (I used the contact form on the meet website).
I would never contact a meet host as a parent. At the 2 gyms my kid went to, you could be kicked off the team for doing that. It was written in our handbook and everyone knew it was not allowed. I feel like I remember a discussion on here once about it and most people agreed.

I would never contact a meet host as a parent. At the 2 gyms my kid went to, you could be kicked off the team for doing that. It was written in our handbook and everyone knew it was not allowed. I feel like I remember a discussion on here once about it and most people agreed.
Oh my goodness, really!? I never realized sending a simple request would cause such a stir. My heart is pounding like crazy right now... What do you think I should do? Should I apologize for reaching out to them and beg them not to report me to the gym we're at? I still don't fully grasp the intensity of this sport even to this day. All I requested is for the scores of the participants to be up... No cheating, no ill intention... This wasn't even a complaint. PDFs are already there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back