Anon Recruiting - June 15th coming fast! Any tips or scoops?

• Thread starter Anonymous (7600)
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I think this whole thread is incredibly helpful for anyone hoping to compete at the collegiate level. Please keep sharing, and good luck to you and your daughter! I'm sure the perfect fit will be found. :)

This is super helpful. My kid is not in the same boat as yours, but we're hoping she'll get a spot on a team that she's happy with and this info is really valuable -even for a parent of a kid who won't be getting a D1 scholarship. It's great having these insights!

Your Updates are informative, helpful and Interesting. I am especially curious about what your learning about the changes due to the law suit and how that affects the future of the college gymnastics teams. From the information my daughter has received it seems that some school programs could be in trouble. It seems there is talk about it leading to the cutting of some “Olympic” sports depending, in large part, on how successful and lucrative the schools money making sports (ie football and men’s basketball) are. We were told it is really up in the air at the moment. They aren’t sure how title nine will affect things yet either. There are theories that some school may have enough money to give an entire team paid spots while others will have to cut non profiting sports to make up the money owed from the settlement . The only thing anyone seemed to know for sure at this point is recruiting will look different then it has in the past.

I dont think recruiting is going to look too different, just maybe the number of scholarships offered. I think the difference is going to be the widening gap between the haves (power conferences: SEC and Big 10 really, even the ACC and Big12 are at a disadvantage) and the have-nots (all the other conferences). Reading more about the settlement, there are 2 parts that can affect programs like gymnastics. The first is the $2.8 billion payment to past athletes. The NCAA will pay $1.2 Billion while the other $1.6 billion is footed by all the conferences with the larger conferences footing more. From the NY Times article
"Big Ten, Southeastern, Big 12, Atlantic Coast and Pac-12 — would pay about 24 percent, and the remaining five conferences that compete for the College Football Playoff would contribute about 10 percent.
The Football Championship Subdivision, which includes conferences like the Big Sky and the Ivy League and historically Black colleges and universities, would pay about 13 percent. And Division I conferences that do not play football, like the Big East, would foot 12 percent of the bill." So ALL programs are going to have to figure out how to scrap up this type of money to pay over a 10 year period (this seems really troubling for a program like Oregon State which did not get picked up by a conference so no conference $$$ to offset the payment).

The second part is the revenue share part and this is where they are talking about eliminating scholarship limits. ANY school can CHOOSE to share UP TO 20% of the revenue with athletes. So it is completely voluntary for the school. Of course, all the major conferences with huge TV contracts will share that maximum amount seeking competitive advantage with other teams. How this might affect gymnastics is a huge question. Because it is not clear how much Title IX will come into play here. If Title IX is fully followed then 1/2 of that 20% will go to female athletes. I spoke with an agent for college athletes, he believes that female athletes will see some of this revenue share, but more on a sliding scale so something like 5-10% of the total revenue share amount. So how do programs make up that 20% of the budget that they now have to share with athletes?! SEC and Big10 schools will have plenty of TV money to absorb most of it. The other conferences will probably resort to some sort of sponsorship revenue (cant wait to see the Gatorade leos lol, or the Staples Valerie Kondos floor) and/or perhaps not as much revenue share or as you mentioned, as a last resort, possibly cutting programs (I really am worried about Oregon State, but definitely schools like Illinois State, GW, etc). As I said at the beginning, the gap between schools in the SEC/Big10 from the others is going to get wider, even in gymnastics. These schools are going to become very attractive to the best recruits, this is tangible money we are talking about, above any regular scholarship and not even counting adding NIL on top of that.

So bottom line, I speculate that gymnastics programs in the SEC, Big10, Big12, and ACC should be fine. Programs outside of that could get interesting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back