Front walk overs!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I CAN'T DO A FRONT WALK OVER! :cryingeyesout: This may sound silly but I can't because I never had to do them, so I never learned how to do one. I have been working on them with a spotter but I can't (at the moment) do a front walk over by myself. OK I know I'm suppose to look at my hands and don't go to slow either. Can you please give me some advice! Thanks sooooooo much! :tilt:

Last edited:
Well you have to look at your hands <Be Fast> Then pull yourself over Not head first or you'll fall back.Practice a backbend and rock yourself back and forth ,and try to pull yourself up:)

My daughter was recently evaluated by a coach at our new gym and she wanted her to do a front walkover. It wasn't going well and the coach said to make sure you keep your head back the whole way up. She was instantly able to do them better and gets them about 50% of the time now, as opposed to never before. Good luck!

This is similar to me. I'm very flexible and could easily do handstand to bridge and stand up but i never got a front walkover because it just wasn't something we were taught (wasn't in the routines so my old gym just didn't bother teaching it). I tried unsuccessfully for like a month to do them and just couldn't stand up on one leg. Then someone told me to look actually past my hands, so keeping my head back the whole way through and I got it straight away. So what I'd recommend is literally looking back as far as possible. One you get them you can start trying to bring your head back a little bit as it can look a tiny bit ugly, but in order to actually get the walkover this is what I did :)

Another thing that some of my found useful was doing it down a small wedge (like one the size of a springboard). The little bit of momentum just helped to get it going and then once they figured out the movements they got it on floor. The problem may be in the strength required to stand up (particularly on one leg) so work loads of standing up from a backbend realy slowly, just strengthening the muscles you need to move. Another big tip my coach gave me was to really think about pushing your hips up and forward as you stand up in the walkover. It helps to give you momentum and keep you square :) Hope that helped and keep trying! You'll get it :)

i myself cannot do a front walkover to save my self. i just keep trying and trying. my coach always says to me "make sure your bottom foot is flat" and some times on rare occasions i can do it. haha. well i hope it helps!

front walkovers just don't work 4 some ppl. it depends on how flexible ur back and shoulders are. i am really bad at them and don't do them. i have no need 4 them. try arching and opening up ur shouldres a lot. this sometimes helps. also, get spotted a lot, but with only a little spot. gradualy, u will get it.

All I can say is keep your head back.
I kind of need a FWO, (on a beam) because I have mega fear issues with anything backwards, and I can't do a FWO on the floor. I am stuck. I kind of have a BWO on a beam, when I go for it, it works.
Try it down a inclined mat. Also try it over an octogone of barrel mat.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back