Parents Frustrating meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gwenmom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Thankfully DD was oblivious but it seemed like other than vault, her scores we significantly lower than then her teammates but no big difference in how the routines looked.

Maybe I am missing something but my DH felt the same way.

Forgot to mention I am not frustrated at the coaches. I am just baffled at what was so lacking in her routines compared to the others.

I keep saying that no matter what I think I have learned about gymnastics and what things are supposed to look like, I will never understand how the judges score. :-)

Which level? I have found that in Level 4, the routines can look similar but the scores are vastly different. For example, on bars I saw some decent routines that looked "clean" but the casts weren't connected or high enough and the scores were 1-2 points lower than other routines that looked almost the same to an untrained eye. Same with vault - they can look similar but score very differently. The deductions also seem higher for each little mistake in Level 4, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Yeah, I am no good at trying to guess what score should be given. I have no idea why one girl got a 9.6 and one got an 8.925 on floor. Beam is a little easier and so are bars, but I'm hopeless with vault. I also think, per ECGM, than L4 is getting a bit pickier with deductions.

OP, was this the first meet of the year? Ours was very rough, but DD has made great improvements in 3/4 events. She's hopeless with vault too.

Yeah, I am no good at trying to guess what score should be given. I have no idea why one girl got a 9.6 and one got an 8.925 on floor. Beam is a little easier and so are bars, but I'm hopeless with vault. I also think, per ECGM, than L4 is getting a bit pickier with deductions.

OP, was this the first meet of the year? Ours was very rough, but DD has made great improvements in 3/4 events. She's hopeless with vault too.
It's level 3 and first meet of the year. I'm not saying she was perfect because she wasn't. The frustration for me is I know eventually she will ask me and I have no answer.

It's level 3 and first meet of the year. I'm not saying she was perfect because she wasn't. The frustration for me is I know eventually she will ask me and I have no answer.

Did you take video? I promise, that by the end of the season you will look back and see so many deductions in those first routines and be amazed in the improvement over a few months. Hopefully her coach will let her know what she needs to work on to improve her scores.

Vault has always been a mystery to me. I know in theory what the judges are looking for, but I can't tell if a gymnast is delivering it!

I had gotten really good at estimating score ranges for bars, beam and floor when DD was in old level 4 and 5. I could tell where deductions were happening. Now that she is in new level 6, I am a bit lost again because I don't remember all the things she needs to do to get credit for an A or B skill, or avoid deductions (I'm talking about cast angles, connections, split leap angles etc.). I'm back to being a little bit lost lol.

Thankfully DD was oblivious but it seemed like other than vault, her scores we significantly lower than then her teammates but no big difference in how the routines looked.

Maybe I am missing something but my DH felt the same way.

That is what I thought at my DD's meet too. Seems to be a common observation from everyone. Maybe because things are new for this season the judges have to get use to things!

As you will see from my lowest thread, my DD scored much lower than she expected and lower than her teammates at her first L5 meet. It willl be interesting to see how it goes from here. Good luck!

I know. It is really weird. My DD's bars actually looked better to me this meet, but she scored a good bit lower than in the previous meet. And with these compulsory routines, they all look about the same to me unless there is a glaring mistake. Who knows?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back