Coaches full techniques

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymashleyy

Hello!
So i'm going to be a level 8 for my first time next year and I got my full three weeks ago. i learned the way when you put one arm down to do the half and them after another second you put the other arm down and you twist. I switched gyms last week and they're trying to teach me to do it the way where you pull both of your arms to your chest to twist. The way I originally learned when you put your arms down is easier but my new coaches say that the other way is what most other people are doing. Is this true? What's the better way to do it?
--Ashely C.

Many coaches would be glad to answer your question...but it's in the "gymnast" forum. Would you like me to move this thread to the "skills & drills" forum...or are you just looking for answers from gymnasts?

it doesn't matter to me. i can do the full either but i was just checking to make sure both of them are correct and what works best for gymnasts.

I'm going to go ahead and move this to the coaches section; you'll get a lot more responses that way.

My thoughts: the twist should be initiated by dropping one arm to the side -- however, there are many different things that can be done once that twist has been initiated which will work.

From what I've seen, the single arm drop is great for the high controlled full. The skill is very pretty when it doesn't flip or twist too quickly and the first method you mentioned makes it look effortless. I usually don't go for bringing the arms in until you start thinking about twisting more than once. It still works but, to me, it isn't as pretty.

which ever way you understand the best from a haptic point of view. both techniques in concert work really well also when moving to double and triple fulls.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back