future stars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello. I was wondering about the boys future stars program. My son started gymnastics when he was six and now he is 7 . He has been moved to the pre team level 3 after a year I have a few questions. First off let me say that he is very strong and somewhat flexible. He can do high swings on the rings high bar and p bars. He can even almost swing to a handstand on pbars. His coach said he can do the level 4 routine for pbars floor rings and vault. He has his pullover on highbar and the only thing he needs for pommel is his mushroom circles. He also almost has his front and side splits.I was wondering what he would have to do to be considered for future stars program. They have it at his gym. Has the coach not asked him to be in it because of his age? He's not 8 and I know the testing starts at 8. Is he to old? He's strong and flexible and picks up skills easy so I don't know. Why they haven't asked him. I don't want to ask the coach I'm afraid they'll think I'm pushy. My next question has to do with the new boys JO progam starting next year. If my son isn't in future stars program will he automatically be in division 2 and not 1? How does a kid get into division 1? Will there be a qualifing process?

This right from the USAG page with the info on this

The Future Stars Program is an athlete development and education program. The Future Stars Program consists of five age groups 8-9 year olds, 10 year olds, 11 year olds, 12 year olds and 13 year olds, who perform selected skills and compulsory routines on the six men’s events plus strength and flexibility evaluations. The 8-9 year old division participates up to the Regional level while the 10, 11, 12 and 13 year old divisions can qualify to the National level.

Based on this I would say he isn't old enough yet to join.

here is a link for you to read more
:: USA Gymnastics :: Men's Future Stars Program Overview ::

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering, since there are 7 year olds at my sons gym that are in future stars. I quess they already start training the routines so when they turn 8 they will be ready to compete them??? Also if anyone can tell me if the new division 1 and 2 tracks in mens JO is split up of future stars and non future stars. Do the gymnasts who are in future stars atomatically compete division 1 and then stay in that division through the levels? If so, then how do gymnasts who aren't in future stars get to compete in division 1? is there a test to see if their good enough? is there a qualifing score that gymnasts have to get in a division 2 meet to be able to move up to division 1 or are the kids stuck in a lesser field of gymnasts who's chances of ever getting 1 of the few mens college scholarships out there 0%? Just a few questions i've been having. Seems to me gymnasts who are division 2, who pay alot of money for coaching should be able to qualify to compete at top meets even if they will probably never be near the top. Lets say one day everything clicks and a gymnasts wins every division 2 meet, will they have the chance to get into division 1. I don't like the splitting up of boy gymnasts. there aren't that many of them as it is.

Here is a link for the new JO program proposals. My sons coach was telling about the changes a couple months ago. He said they will be having two diffent tracks gymnasts will go through, division 1 and 2. the future stars boy will already be in division 1 and I guess they'll stay there . The two tracks begin I think with level 8. I think they are on page 4 and 5 in this link. There are more up to date drafts but I haven't found them yet. My question is, how can a gymnast get into division 1? besides future stars. Are there tests? will it be up to coaches or meet scores at first to be placed in either division 1 or 2. Can a gymnast move up from division 2 to 1 and vise versa? The division 2 sounds like a lesser pool of talent and they don't get scholarship offers since they can't compete in division 1 .
http://www.gamensgymnastics.com/age_group_structure_proposal_7-29-10.pdf

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back