MAG Future stars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hello. I am wondering if it is worth the extra time and money to put my son in the future star program at his gym. He is seven years old and the coach wants him to join. It is an extra 60 a month plus 3 more hours a week. I have heard it is a good program but I have also heard that boys peak later than girls. Future stars only goes to 13 years. Boys peak later then that . Why risk burnout?? On the other hand they will develop skills earlier and get a chance to maybe make national dev. Teams and go to camps. Just wondering if anyone is a parent of a past future star gymnast who is 14 or older? I'm sure it helps them prepare for optionals , but there are optional gymnasts who were never in future stars and do very well now that their body is better developed to do the harder skills. I know that future stars is for talented boys who show above average strength and flexibility who have the talent to do gymnastics. But I also know that a gymnast can lose skills once they get older and grow . Then they have to relearn some skills. Why not just incorporate future stars into the daily training of all gymnast and the ones who can perform the more advance routines, do. Them in special meets. I have heard of some gyms already doing this. Thanks for the advice

My son does Future Stars and loves it, but at our gym it is just part of the regular work out. They use the FS routines as warm ups, conditioning and stretching. He competed last year as an 8 year old and made the region team, and is hoping to do the same as a 9 year old.

One thing with future stars is that the routines in general are more difficult than the JO routines. So it does push a little. D still doesn't do the high bar routine, but has the rest.

It is a fun program, and in general more laid back than JO. In our state, they don't really do places or medals or awards. Everyone gets a certificate and then they do announce AA order.

I think in the future (2013?) there will be some changes around how FS is incorporated into JO, but since I don't fully understand all of that yet, I won't try to explain it!

Good luck with your decision! What does your son think about it??

My son dosnt care which program hes in, as long as he's doing gymastics. He loves going to gym. Right now he's only going 3 hours a week. So the future stars program will double his time in the gym. In our gym, the future stars training is separate. I'm just wondering if doubling his hours and paying extra for the program is a good idea at such a young age since boys peak so much later then girls. I can understand the tops program for girls since they peak early and they try ti learn alot before their bodies change from puberty. Boys get batter after puberty ,when they can develipe the muscles and strength needed. They get better with age..So I guess I'm wondering if there is any strength routine that future stars do that they can just wait to do later in their career when they are stronger? I know the flexibility routines are very helpful and it is good for boys to start this young. But like you said, coaches can incorporate this training into regular team workouts. Future stars only goes up to 13 years old . Boys peak later right? Why all the focus on strength when it will come with age? Any parents out here who have 14 year olds that were in the program?? Did they have to relearn a lot of the strength routines and other difficult skills they do in the future stars routines once they went through puberty? Did your son have more inuries than other non future stars boys in your gym because of the training ? Just wondering. Thanks

just put him in the futrue stars program. you have alot of preconceived notions and inaccurate info. your kid is 7...let him have the fun if you can afford the extra $15 a week. carry on.:)

Be led by your child- He's seven and can give you some idea. First of all find out how the training is split and how it fits with your current schedule- If it's 3 times a week 7-9pm, for example, it might be a little late for him at the moment. Does he want to go more? As Dunno says if you can afford it and he wants to go give it a try. Watch how he copes, and review your decision every so often to make sure everyone's happy.

At the end of the day he's your child. As you say he has plenty of time, so if you think it's too much for him for whatever reason, or you'd rather he tried a range of activities before focussing on gymnastics, ask the coaches if you can leave it 6 months or a year. Or try it and see how he goes :).

My son is only 9, so I can't answer the puberty questions. I have seen some of the older boys who have done future stars in the past decide against it as they get older, but I think that is more a social thing. Derek just loves the routines and the meet. He finds them challenging and fun. We haven't seen any additional injuries or issues for him at this time, but we aren't adding to his work out since it is part of it. I would say give it a try if your son wants to. you cna always reevaluate later!

Thanks for all the replies. I am the first to admit I don't know much about the future stars program , that is why I am asking these questions. Please enlighten me dunno. The only thing that I can find on the subject is how it uses harder routines that focus on more strength and flexibity. They offer a camp for the gymnasts and coaches who finish in top 18 I think for 8 year olds. They have flexibility and strength routines and trampoline too. And it ends when they reach 14 ,the age right when most boys are in puberty. I was just wondering if there are any parents or coaches on this forum who have past future star gymnasts who are 14 now. I know this progam targets the talented when they are young, do you notice if the gymnasts who weren't in future stars catch up to them ,if they are the same level , once puberty sets in and boys gain strength and muscles. As long as the boys have the same determination to suceed. Talent at lower levels dosent equall talent at optionals I've. Heard . Or is this false?

wow. too much stuff. sorry. put him in the program. he'll love it. we do future stars and have since the beginning. they love it! if it's meant to be it is. and yeah...us males take a little longer to physically mature. we need the strength younger. just do it already.:) puberty be damned!:):) and your last statement is true. but the sport has SO many variables. and you're barely in it and already way overthinking. overthinking leads to overdrinking.:) this is tongue in cheek for those not familiar with my posts.

BOYS NEED SPORTS OTHER THAN BASEBALL, BASKETBALL, SOCCER AND FOOTBALL. PLEEEEAAAASSSE PUT HIM IN FUTURE STARS.:)

P.S. hey Bog, did someone REMOVE my chess humor?:)

Dunno, I love your posts!!!

One question I can answer...8 year olds don't do the Nationals or National team. They go to state and regional evaluations and can make the region team if they are in the top 6. that is it. they don't do nationals until 10.

It really is a lot of fun!! I feel like it is a good progression, albeit a hard one. My son still can't do the high bar routines, but he did finally get his spotted giant on p's! He was pretty excited. And I think the evaluations are fun!

the reason it ends at 13 is because it's basically so you can allow younger guys to compete L9 earlier than the regular system allows.

it's basically a fast track for elites like TOPS.

While boys peak later, they can still use the time to build technique. Especially on pommel and high bars as those events take the most time to develop.

If he can handle the training load, do it. It's not honestly that many hours.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back