WAG Gabby Douglas reality show

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't know a lot (ok really anything) about gymnastics because my daughter just got into it, and is definitely not going for a super high level- but the tone of some of these posts really bother me. Is gymnastics only a sport for rich kids? if a family has to make different choices than you would because she has a single mom and this is their one chance to be financially secure, why does that make her a terible person? I definitely don't get the impression from any of those posts that anyone making them has been in a similar situation.
Whoops, I hit "reply" to soon. Anyway... Gabby's mom said a few things publicly in the weeks and months following the 2012 Olympics that soured many people toward her. The negative vibes you feel on this thread probably originate from that. I for one have never thought Gabby's mom was a bad person. I think her daughter's talent thrust her into a spotlight that her background had not prepared her to handle which led to some major PR missteps.

No problem with her making money but as an Olympic Champion she could surely get more lucrative endorsements than reality TV, and surely has. I'm not sure they're really poor anymore, but maybe. As far as I know reality tv doesn't pay off that big, although I guess it's a more steady source of income. People use reality tv in order to basically get spin off deals and endorsements, although I would assume super famous reality stars like the Kardashians get paid more just for their show. Still, I'm sure all the endorsement deals the Kardashians have gotten have paid off more than the show itself. So maybe it will work that way for Gabby but the odds seem against it.

We have Buckeye parents here. @aksaunders what do you think? DO you see Buckeye being a great gym for a reality show? Guess your kid would end up in it as she trains days.
I don't spend a lot of time in the gym but the mothers who do say that after the first week (when all our girls were star-struck) Gabby has not been a distraction. They all say that she is putting in the work as evidenced by her performance in Jesolo. To answer your questions though...no Buckeye would not be good for a reality show in my opinion. Personally, I can't imagine the head coach would allow a film crew in the gym. I would not want my DD in any episode and I imagine they would have to inform us about something like that.

I don't spend a lot of time in the gym but the mothers who do say that after the first week (when all our girls were star-struck) Gabby has not been a distraction. They all say that she is putting in the work as evidenced by her performance in Jesolo. To answer your questions though...no Buckeye would not be good for a reality show in my opinion. Personally, I can't imagine the head coach would allow a film crew in the gym. I would not want my DD in any episode and I imagine they would have to inform us about something like that.

That was my thought about Buckeye too. Kittia does not seem to be one to stand for this kind of distraction.

Gabby clearly has been working very hard in the gym, you do not get that level of performance without a lot of work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back