Gaining the confidence in oneself after acheiving a skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I am a 17 year old competing level 8 but working several level 9 skills for next year. I have so many skills and I am solid on most of them. I rarely ever miss. But I have trouble going for some of them once mats are taken away. For example My tsikahara vault. I know i can do it really well and I always land on my feet, but wheneveer we take away the resi and put an 8 inch in, i freak out and baulk most of the time. My coach is constantly telling me they are some of the most solid vaults in the gym when I go for them, but I just seem to have a block when we take away the resi and at competition. Also some other skills are my front tuck on beam, always right on, but taking away spot or the chicken pad, i just wont do it and handspring stepout layout stepout on beam, perfect landing everytime but once there is no chicken pad, I cant seem to do it anymore. Anyone have any advice for this problem?

Also, since i have just changed from a YMCA program to a USAG program, I have been experiencing nerves taking over at meets and I freak out and have mental breakdowns and I never used to experiance that. I love the sport of gymnastics and I dont want it to be hard for me. Is there any advice for this problem too?

Like your sig says, you need to believe. If you go to Doc Ali's website, there's lots of advice. Visualization really helps. Also find positive statements you can say to yourself everytime, like "I can do this." "I'm good at this." In the end, repetition is what really builds confidence so just keep putting in the numbers.

yeah jkust as ZJsmom said just believe in yourself and you can do it.visualization helps a lot to. just be patiant and you will get those "scary"skills. i would deffinatly chack out doc ali too i tihnk they have some of her stuff on this site.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back