Getting used to a new gym....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For those of you who have switched gyms I am just wondering how long it took your kids to adjust to the change? My daughter just had her first "real" day at the gym we switched to yesterday and it was a rough day. This gym works much harder than her previous gym and although that is what she wanted there was some frustration and tears in the car on the way home yesterday. Just wondering if this is normal and if so how long it takes to get used to a more strenuous level of training? I must say I was a bit surprised at the tears b/c she has never cried after practice before. She really loved the days where she tried the new gym and seemed excited about the challenge. Thanks for any advice!!

Sometimes it takes kids a little while to gather their thoughts. I find DD has a better idea of what she's thinking at bed time or even the next day. The car ride home is a vent (both positive and negative) that just floods out.

We switched about 16 months ago, and it was somewhat nerve wracking, but after a few practices she was comfortable. They've worked hard to get to where they are, and they want to feel like they have something for it (ie, they're good at what they do). When they're in a new gym that does things a different way, the things that they're good at might not get a chance to show depending on what the gym does that day.

My kids are 7 and 8. I'd say in the past, when they have had a schedule that was physically more demanding, it took about 2 weeks to stop feeling it. I don't know about 10 year olds yet :)

DS switched as a 10 year old, the training intensity was about the same so he didn't need to adapt to any changes in that regard. To feel like part of the new gym, part of the team, settle into new friendships, adapt to new coaches - took around three months, that part of it was a much bigger change than any of us was expecting.

It won't take long. It's almost like going to a new school. You pick up on the new system, coaches, teammates. It's amazing how fast the human body adapts to it's environment.

The first day is always the roughest. Each day will get better. Your DD will get stronger and stronger and be able to handle these harder workouts. It's just that she's not used to it yet, give her time to get in shape.

As a parent, all you can do is support her and listen if she wants to talk. If she doesn't want to talk about it, let it go. After a hard day's practice, she may not want to relive it again in the car on the way home. Just show your support and be patient with her during this transition.

For those of you who have switched gyms I am just wondering how long it took your kids to adjust to the change? My daughter just had her first "real" day at the gym we switched to yesterday and it was a rough day. This gym works much harder than her previous gym and although that is what she wanted there was some frustration and tears in the car on the way home yesterday. Just wondering if this is normal and if so how long it takes to get used to a more strenuous level of training? I must say I was a bit surprised at the tears b/c she has never cried after practice before. She really loved the days where she tried the new gym and seemed excited about the challenge. Thanks for any advice!!

Give it a month or 2 and I am sure she will adjust. With my girls there was an adjustment period, and there were a lot of reasons for it...they missed their former coaches/teammates, they were tired/sore due to a more strenuous workout and higher expectations, they went from being big fish in a smaller pond to a bigger pond with lots of big fish already there ;)

Has she been able to articulate exactly what was frustating or why she was crying? Is she just generally overwhelmed or missing old teammate?

The way that I helped them through it was to make sure they were eating healthy food (this is very important in our family) and to make sure they were getting plenty of sleep so their body was ready for the next practice. I also listened to their frustrations and reminded them to be patient with themselves. The new coaches were well aware that their former gym environment was more casual, so they did cut them a little slack in the 1st few weeks, but not much-LOL. One of my girls adjusted well within the 1st week and the other took a couple of months. They are both fully adjusted now and couldn't imagine not being where they are :)

It's like going into any new environment where you don't know anyone, have no friends, and the boss/teacher/coach is new. Everyone is different as to how they will handle the changes but usually within a few weeks you will start to see bonding with the other gymnasts and within a month or two she will be an old hat at being there. She just needs time to adjust and learn the ropes.

The crying too may not be about the practice being harder either - she may just be a little sad and missing her old gym and teammates and just realizing this change is for real - the practice at the new gym and not the old one is for real. Kids are good at adapting to the changes and you will see it doesn't take as long as you might think for her to get use to things.

I'm finding this thread really useful. My DD is in the same position, having had her first session at her new gym last night. She was fairly quiet and a bit crabby afterwards, so we didn't really talk about it but I get the impression it didn't quite go according to plan because she normally can't wait to fill me in.

I think she was keen to get stuck in and show them what she can do but as Wallinbl said they do things a bit differently. They don't seem to do some of the things she can do, they do things she has never tried before and some of the things she thought were familiar are done in a slightly different way, so she wasn't really able to get going. I felt for her when they started roudoffs and she normally has great roundoff. She set off and did her very best and the coach shook her head and said 'okaayyy, not bad'. DD looked a bit deflated but it turns out but she's learned to start with a hop and they start with a jump. She so likes to please and it must be so tough having to play catch up all the time.

It's more than double the hours too, which again she wanted but I'm wary that by the end of the week she will be pretty tired!

Several of the other mums reassured me they had been there and come out the other end that they had switched and it took a couple of months to learn to do things their way and to feel like part of the fabric. Good advice about the eating and sleeping. I was also told that she is no longer just being taught to 'do', she's being taught to 'win' and that went down quite well when we had a little chat today :)

Good luck xx

DD switched 11 months ago, she was 10 at the time. For her, it was more the physical demands than the social aspects, that took getting used to. She went from 15 hrs (really more like 10 if you count the slacker time) to 20 hrs with more conditioning and stricter workouts. She loved the extra time/work though but she was "tired" for about 2-3 weeks.

Well it is good to know that this is normal. I am sure it is hard for her going from being one of the better kids at her previous gyms to a gym where she feels like she is not as good. She was frustrated mainly because by the time they got to vault she was so tired that she could not make it over the big mats they were vaulting over. She has never been strong at vault and the coach apparently acted like he did not understand what her problem was. She is feeling better now but I was just a bit discouraged to see her in tears the first day!!

Our transition was relatively easy. Unbeknownst to us, an older girl from our old gym switched at the same time we did. My daughter walked into gym for the first day after an open gym visit that cemented our decision to switch and there was a familiar face and a big hug. It also helped that our gym was just forming a Level 3 team so everything was new to everyone on the Level 3 team.

Since our experience is rare, I think gyms should have programs where a team member is assigned to be a new student's "buddy" who introduces them to people and procedures. This will take careful selection but will also provide leadership opportunities for gymnasts who have been at the gym.

As for the physical issues- plenty of rest, good food and anything to help the discomfort (we still give my daughter frequent massages and occassional ibuprofin) are the order of the day.

I think gyms should have programs where a team member is assigned to be a new student's "buddy" who introduces them to people and procedures. This will take careful selection but will also provide leadership opportunities for gymnasts who have been at the gym..

That's pretty much how we do it if we get somebody new at our gym. The coach will have them be with one of the gymnasts to help them through the workout, introduce them around...show them the ropes (literally) :)

I am sure it is hard for her going from being one of the better kids at her previous gyms to a gym where she feels like she is not as good. She was frustrated mainly because by the time they got to vault she was so tired that she could not make it over the big mats they were vaulting over. She has never been strong at vault and the coach apparently acted like he did not understand what her problem was. She is feeling better now but I was just a bit discouraged to see her in tears the first day!!

I'm sorry your DD is upset and the coach is not recognizing the issue. Please reassure her that she is not the only one who has has to deal with this.

One of the things that new HC said to me in the early weeks was that "It is humbling for kids who are very good at their old gym, to go to a new team where all of the other kids are just as good or better, and it is normal for her to feel intimidated but she will be fine". It was wonderful that he did realized that kids have these feelings of frustration.

I hope things are better for your DD soon :)

I've moved my daughter twice...the first time it took her a few days to feel comfortable with the girls but a few weeks to get used to the increased level of conditioning that they did...when I moved her this year, she knew one of the coaches pretty well and said "after an hour, I felt like I've been here all along" so that was a pleasant surprise!! But my point is, don't worry about it , the comfort level will come in time...

My Daughter switched gyms at the end of Feb. I stayed and watched practice the 1st day and she seemed fine. (She did know several girls at the gym) so when we were walking out and in the parking lot and she burst into tears I was really surprised. She Sobbed the entire way home (an hour's drive) cried herself to sleep, and was so upset the next morning that she actually missed school :( I was thinking, OMG what have I done to this child. LOL

The very next day she had off from practice and I was dreading her going back on Thursday. I told her to give it some time and if at the end of the month she still "hated" it then we woudl figure something out.

2nd practice I again stayed and watched. I was walking on egg shells when we left, as soon as we hit the parking lot she looked at me and said, I really think that I am going to like it here. :)

It's been a month and you would never know that she is the "new " girl anymore. She is so happy, loves the gym, the girls and most importantly the coaches. Change is hard but it really does work out.

It is normal to be sad, to miss old teammates and coaches but It really will get better and in a month you will be surprised how well your DD has adjusted.

My DD switched gyms a few times because we moved. However, when we made our most recent move, and she was still miserable after almost 2 months, and I didn't agree with how the HC treated the girls, I pulled her. In past moves, she adapted quite well. There were usually tears and expressions that she missed her friends from her old school and gym, but this time was different. She was regressing as a gymnast and the coach was less than positive. So we switched gyms for her well-being, so she could be away form a bully coach. It was the best thing for her. She cried the first few weeks because she hadn't had to condition so hard in months, but last night she told me that she was able to do her conditioning without help for the first time at our new gym. She's happier now and bonding with the other girls. Only you know your child. It could be that she misses her friends and just needs to give the new gym a chance. That can take a few weeks, in my experience. I was a kid who moved a lot because my dad was constantly moving. I always adapted quickly - and I was shy. But if it takes longer than a month to feel like she's fitting in and adapting, I would talk to her coaches to get their input and help.

My DD is currently going thru growing pains at her gym. She has not changed gyms but has changed groups, coaches and hours. She has gone from the "star" to the underdog :) After reading some of these posts it makes me feel better to know that some of the feelings that she is having is normal :) So....thanks to all of you!!!

Thanks so much for all the advice. Yesterday practice was much better. She got to show off her better events which made her feel better after her vaulting fiasco. It's just hard to struggle over a gym decision and then have your child in tears the first day. I really feel the change is for the best and so does she.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back