WAG Giant tutorial

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I teach low bar giants along with two drills on pit bar. My kids usually have their giant in 2-4 months. Coaching giants this way for 20 years. Most common question asked, "will they straighten their legs when they move to high bar?" The answer is yes! Only problem I have is when I get a much older gymnast who started gymnastics later than earlier. Low bar giants just won't work in that situation. And kids are more afraid than most think or realize. Most kids don't know they're afraid. I have one kid who can't admit she's afraid of a cast handstand after two years. Just my thoughts.

2 question for coaches:

Is it necessary or even more desirable to teach/learn giants by using straps?

How much spotting is needed with teaching giants (thinking about bigger kids and the challenge of controlling them when they weigh 100-130 pounds?

Yes, strap bar is very useful for teaching giants. You can teach a giant without the strap bar but it is certainly ideal to use the straps. The kids can practice lots is a safe manor with minimal spot. As with any skill we want lots of repetitions.

The amount you spot is up to you. If you are a smaller coach with bigger gymnasts then use as many drills as possible, like shown in the video. You can save your own body a lot as a coach by using different tools and setting up drills. Generally you should not spot a gymnasts for giants on the bar until their bodies are already fully ready to do them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back