Parents Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tooootsie

Proud Parent
My lil Jo3 gymmies came home excited that they will start learning giants in a week.... my girls told mr they needed wrist bands for this skill. Anyone know this to be true? This is a new one on me. Thanks :)

Ok atleast I know they aren't lying. Is 3 kinda early to learn giants? Maybe just uptraining for 5? What level do you compete giants?

Ok atleast I know they aren't lying. Is 3 kinda early to learn giants? Maybe just uptraining for 5? What level do you compete giants?
Some coaches like to introduce skills needed 2 or 3 years down the road. The more difficult the skill the longer it takes to polish and perfect.

It may be that they're learning the drills for the giants. They need the the extra long wristbands for the straps, so it doesn't hurt their wrists. I like the thick ones at Sports Authority.

Yeah im.sure its for the straps. They have strapped them on the high.bar and swung them. I think they are trying to polish their skills early, according to the hc they are the youngest team they have ever had.

Giants are difficult for some kids - I think starting early with drills is a great idea - properly trained, of course. DD never was allowed to touch the strap bar before training for L7 and it really shows - its taken her 2 years to learn her giants (which had she been drilling them would have meant starting when she was a young old L5) and although she has almost all of her other L8 skills already she is still inconsistent in her tap on giants....

On the other hand her older brother just go both front and back giants on high bar in 2 weeks....its nearly killing her!

I wish our gym would introduce future skills at some point before needing them regularly. Typically, the kids only work on skills for current season..not a whole lot of up training. I should say, until this past yr when the coaches said..we just want you to try it..don't expect perfection right away..just try. Old coach would have died before letting the kids try.

So for me, as someone else mentioned, seems like a good thing to get started early. In case some don't catch on right away and need a little extra time to work the skill.

Oh! And the wristbands have been a lifesaver for my DD. We get ours from 10.0. My DD has tiny wrists and they fit her well.

Yes, DD finished L3 and has done strap bar giants.....it is a skill that will take some time.
I would think the earlier the better!

They start the littlies in our club on giants pretty early too. They work on the strap bar on supported scoop giants and big swings with good form for quite a while. They move on to baby giants, 3/4 giants, bigger swings and all the way to starting clear hip drills. When they've been doing giants on metal bar by themselves (which they have to for our level 4 comps at age 8/9) with good form, they move on to the wooden bar - so it's a longish process and good to get started early.

It's an exciting journey and doesn't seem to have quite the frustration level of say beam skills. I loved watching my dd work her way through that one, so enjoy :)

Sorry for dragging an oldish thread up...

My youngest dd has been training drills for giants for a few weeks now on the strap bar, dd informed me today that the coach wants to start them doing giants training on the wooden bars soon, as has been mentioned it is a very exciting skill.

They have been doing loads of really high swings concentration on from and shaping (same thing?), they have been using the strap bar every session until a week ago where they reverted back to working on the strap bar one session and the wooden bar the next (not giant training yet).

No new progress.. just them being strapped.

I think dd's group started on the strap bars at the end of April, beginning of May, I have no idea have much further along they are now but they must be making progress if the coach wants them to start training them on the wooden bars soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back