Parents Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am glad that this takes a long time to learn properly, I wouldn't be too happy if they were rushed through this and dd ended up having an accident, I hope that dd is given enough time to build up strength to do these correct land safely, there is one girl in dd's group that is able to go right over on the strap bar with spotting from the coach but she is four years older and has been in the group for 2 years and I should imagine been working on them for a lot longer then the rest who started the group in January.

Looking back at things, this time last year my dd was in a one hour a week rec class and was no where near trying the things that dd does now, I am so happy that she got moved up to the development group and has been given the chance to train, build strength and flexibility and gaining confidence thinking for herself instead of waiting for the coaches input all the time (for example getting a block to stand on if she cannot reach the bars).

My daughter who is 8 just started doing giants on strap bar on her own this week. She can do 10 in a row before she stops. How long does it take to go from doing them on strap bar to a regular bar. She is training to get mobility scores thru levels 4 and 5.

Starting to train giants probably means working swings in the strap bar, which all gymnasts should be doing at level 3.

Took DD 2 years to go from strap bar giants to real bar giants - but she didn't work them half the time and didn't touch the strap bar until L7....one more coaching choice I have discovered didn't work well for her!

Hopefully not a year. DD goes in early before practice a few times a week to work on bars. I was shocked yesterday to see her going around and around that bar several times. Put a big smile on my face!

I think it definitely differs for each gymnast and how their gym goes through the training for it! Starting in April, my girls were consistently on the strap bar doing big tap swings and then giants! Then, once they had the proper form, they went to the real bar with a heavy spot from HC. They did this for a long time as well as continuing on the strap bar! DD1 just got hers for the first time yesterday with no spot, so, 4 months!! Now, she just has to connect her whole bar routine together and that might take a bit of time as well! DD2 is probably a few weeks away from getting hers with no spot, so maybe 5 months for her?? Like I said, each child is different! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back