WAG giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know the progressions for giants. You should have a kip cast handstand. Then you usually start with big tap swings in straps, higher and higher until you go over. Then you move to the pit, then to the real bar.

How long does it usually take to get from strap bar to pit bar to real bar without spot?
Do you think giants are scary to learn? Is it something a lot of girls are afraid of like the back handspring on beam?
Is it a skill with high risk of injury when you are still in the learning process?

Thank you

You should have a baby giant too. don't think you should try it with out a spot unless its perfect on strap bar (and your coach says you can).

Reactions: sce
Depends on the coaching and the kid. One of my top kids took forever (8 months) to get giants because her hands were the size of a 3 year old... It's hard to say an average because kids really do pick them up faster than others, and some coaches rush them. If we wanted we could probably teach a crappy giant in a few weeks (providing the kid could cast and tap), but I would rather take half a year to teach it correctly. So I cannot answer your question. :) Your DD will get them :) Slower the better.

Depends on the coaching and the kid. One of my top kids took forever (8 months) to get giants because her hands were the size of a 3 year old... It's hard to say an average because kids really do pick them up faster than others, and some coaches rush them. If we wanted we could probably teach a crappy giant in a few weeks (providing the kid could cast and tap), but I would rather take half a year to teach it correctly. So I cannot answer your question. :) Your DD will get them :) Slower the better.
Could you coach my kid?

Actually I am pretty sure, our coaches make sure they are ready to do it as opposed to rushing it.

I know the progressions for giants. You should have a kip cast handstand. Then you usually start with big tap swings in straps, higher and higher until you go over. Then you move to the pit, then to the real bar.

How long does it usually take to get from strap bar to pit bar to real bar without spot?
Do you think giants are scary to learn? Is it something a lot of girls are afraid of like the back handspring on beam?
Is it a skill with high risk of injury when you are still in the learning process?

Thank you

1. you can't predict.
2. they can be for some kids.
3. more are afraid of BWO & BHS than giants.
4. not when proper progressions are followed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back