Good coaching or dangerous?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a question. My coach has everyone learn their back walkovers without training them on the low beam first. Some of us (like me) have done them on the low beam before, but not consistently. Some of the girls have never trained a back walkover on low beam ever. He reuses to spot us and tells us to go, which I understand is the best way to avoid mental blocks, but is it dangerous to have girls go straight to high beam, or is it just a coaching technique.

When I was learning cartwheels on the beam, I did them for about a couple of months on the low and medium beam. Just a few weeks ago, my coach told me to go and do it on the high beam by myself and after working out in my head that it wasn't dangerous at all, I just went for it and actually got it!:)I think in that case (doing it by myself) it helped me evade a mental block, but that was only after practicing multiple times on the low beams. It doesn't seem like that is a very good technique, especially if someone never did it before on the lower beam.

Good job on your cartwheel!
But I'm talking about back walkovers, which I think could be a little different, since they are blind when going back and are also a little harder for most gymnasts on floor. I'm not sure if the same coaching techniques apply, but I'm honestly very worried. He's having girls who barely have their back walkovers or girls with inconsistent back walkovers do them on high beam without training them!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back