Grab Bag Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My meet this past Saturday (In which I qualified all-around in :p...) was a grab bag music meet. In case you are wondering what that is, it means you get up on floor and you have no idea what music is going to play-but it's not going to be yours! you do your own routine but to someone else's music. Your job was to make it look as best as you could and not make a fool of yourself;). This is my first year as an optional so this was my first time doing that but my optional team has been doing it for a long time. I was just wondering, do any other teams out there do this? I am still trying to figure out the point but overall it was a lot of fun and some were very funny!

sounds like fun! I guess the point, other than fun, is to make sure you wouldn't be thrown if say your music didn't work during a 'real' meet, or you'd brought your old music or something - happened to a girl in our county champs a couple of years ago!

When I was a dancer, we used to have competitions where there were 'impromptu' rounds. Basically all those entered would stand on the stage and listen to the music once through (it was made especially for the competition and nobody had heard it before) then go off into a small room - no practicing allowed - then you would be called onto the stage and you'd have to perform a routine to the music that you basically made up whilst listening to the music on the stage! - it was a lot of fun! There were rounds for ballet, jazz and acrobatics. You were awarded marks for musicality (how well it matched the music), stage coverage, high and low elements etc etc. It has helped no end with choreographing floor routines!

Yes, that is probably why and that actually happened to one of the girls on my team in a preseason meet too! It was a real meet but since everyone was qualified (for Regionals) on floor, the coaches decided to do something fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back