WAG Great Women's AND Men's @ the Same Gym??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jago

Proud Parent
Is it possible for a gym to have BOTH men's and women's programs that are high-performing?

Compulsory and Optional women's teams. And at the same time a great men's team?

I know of gyms that have (or had) one or the other, but not both at the same time. Seems as though it splits the time/energy/focus of the gym, even though they are totally independent of one another, with different head coaches.

Thanks! :)

Yes it is possible (first-hand knowledge) but it takes a facility where you can do everything for everybody and essentially run two separate, high-caliber training programs that don't compete for resources (you can read that as two buildings and two head coaches).

I did read somewhere (must be here) that there are no Boys/Mens only gyms left in the US. They all rely on womens rec and or team programs.

The only gym/program in my area that I have seen be truly succesful at both is ENORMOUS. Meaning they have enough room/resources for 3 full sets of equipment (3 floors, multiple sets of men's and women's apparatus, separate rec area, etc).

Our gym is doing both very well. We are an elite gym and national training center for womens gymnastics and we have a strong (and growing) mens gymnastics team. The mens program hasn't been around long enough to have proven its track record but its on its way. I have children in both the boys and girls gym program and believe both are able to produce the highest level gymnasts. So, yes it is possible.

It is definitely possible. My gym is like that, but we are a fairly big gym as far as I'm aware. There are 3000 kids in our programs, though most of those are in the rec programs. We have two floors, with a women's competitive side and rec side, and the boys equipment somewhere in between. My gym even had two gymnasts go to the 2004 Olympics (Heather Purnell and Melanie Banville), and we have many boys go to the Provincial and Easter Championships. The boys coaches tend to only coach boys, and same for the girls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back