WAG Grips Bunching Up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I take an adult gymnastics class, which is only offered for an hour a week--not enough time to build up calluses for bars. I quickly found that I rip very easily when practicing swinging skills, getting 4 or 5 rips in a matter of minutes. My coach initially recommended tape grips, which worked pretty well for about a year. Starting a few months ago, however, they started tearing very quickly--often on my second or third tap swing, which was terrifying when I was starting to work on flyaways. Looking for something a little more durable, I got sized and bought a pair of palm guards from Gibson. I haven't had any issues breaking them in or feeling the bar, but on the back swing they always bunch up under my fingers as I regrip. One layer of leather doesn't bother me, but with three I constantly feel like I'm going to peel off, which means I won't swing as big. Is this just something I need to get used to, are the grips too big, or could it be another issue? Thanks for any possible advice!

At my gym, someone had that problem. All they did was get their own single bar at home and they trained until they had calluses. I'm not really sure about the grips as I don't use any.

I take an adult gymnastics class, which is only offered for an hour a week--not enough time to build up calluses for bars. I quickly found that I rip very easily when practicing swinging skills, getting 4 or 5 rips in a matter of minutes. My coach initially recommended tape grips, which worked pretty well for about a year. Starting a few months ago, however, they started tearing very quickly--often on my second or third tap swing, which was terrifying when I was starting to work on flyaways. Looking for something a little more durable, I got sized and bought a pair of palm guards from Gibson. I haven't had any issues breaking them in or feeling the bar, but on the back swing they always bunch up under my fingers as I regrip. One layer of leather doesn't bother me, but with three I constantly feel like I'm going to peel off, which means I won't swing as big. Is this just something I need to get used to, are the grips too big, or could it be another issue? Thanks for any possible advice!

yes, the grips are too big. try cutting the feet out of some tube socks. roll up the 'tube' inside the other so that they double up. then put them on your wrists. making the wrist band larger in diameter pulls the palm strap of the grip more taut. if it doesn't work you need to get re-sized and get new grips.:)

I had this same problem with palm guards. And they were NOT to big. Every time I'd regrip the bar they'd bunch up. I ended up to just not using them. I went bare hands. And I eventually got dowel grips, which was my solution. They guard your palms (Mind you I do still get rips, they don't get rid of them completely, but they help a LOT) and after you get used to them and wear them in, the dowel really does help you feel more comfortable swinging, especially if you're working fly-aways.

Yes grips too big, you shouldn't be able to open your palm fully when wearing them, if you can they are too big.

Not sure dowel grips are worth the expense for only an hour a week but if money is no object then they probably would be better for you but make sure you get measured properly and go down to the lower size if you are in between, not up to the next one.

I quickly found that I rip very easily when practicing swinging skills, getting 4 or 5 rips in a matter of minutes.

I've had the same problem. With me it was caused by the bar being covered in lumpy chalk making it very rough. A strip of velcro can be used to remove the chalk build-up making the bar smoother so it doesn't rip your hands up.

our gym doesn't even do palm guards they go right to regular grips instead. Maybe you just need a regular grip

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'm going out at lunch today to get a smaller size and hope that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I'll donate them to the gym and ask about trying dowel grips or experiment with making double-thick tape grips.

Palm guards aren't really meant for someone the size of the average adult to do tap swings and such as far as I can tell (I've never used them). I certainly can't swing with any force without dowel grips (i.e. can't swing aggressively or do giants, except on a men's rail). On women's rail it's not great at this size, the force on the bar from an aggressive tap is a lot. So that said I don't know if the sizing is really an issue.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back