Grips on bars...a must not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
My daughter is now doing her cast to handstand on bars and moving into "tougher" elements or so I think as I really am not very knowledgeable about gymanstics.

I have noticed that most of the "provincial" gymnasts and some of the "national" gymansts wear grips when doing bars. Our group which is the pre-novice national group is being trained to not use grips and if they have any rips they are just using tape if requried.

Can someone shed light on this change in training? Is there a reason that they may feel that it is better for the younger generation so to speak to move away from getting used to grips?

I know on the IGC website they mention that they recommend that they gymansts bring grips and I would think that you would have to be used to them rather than using them for a camp and not always.

Learning as I go and appreciate any input!

DIfferent clubs have different philosoplies on grips. This would be a great question to ask your gymmies coach as I am sure they can tell you exactly when your child will begin to use grips. It may well be that they do not want to introduce then during the competition period as they do take some time to get used to. SOme clubs do not let gymmies wear them until they have their kips solidly either.

As to IGC many girls do go without them and do fine, tape works great for rips.

as bog said every gym is different with the girps. My current gym they can get them at L6 and are required at L7 optionals. My old gym from L4 and up they could get them but were required by L6. I've seen some optional levels compete without grips - don't know how they do some of those really hard moves without ripping the skin off but they do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back