Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coach makes us wear grips but I absolutely hate them especially when going to the high bar because I am always slipping (peeling) off so I was wondering if anyone knows why this happens and how do you chalk up your grips ?

Huh. I think my grips help me to NOT peel off the bar. Before I got dowel grips I was always holding on for dear life in the back of my tap swings. Do you wear dowels or just palm guards? My palm guards were a little slippery on baby giants and tap swings and clear hips.

I chalk mine just by rubbing them in chalk. I don't use water, and they work fine.

Huh. I think my grips help me to NOT peel off the bar. Before I got dowel grips I was always holding on for dear life in the back of my tap swings. Do you wear dowels or just palm guards? My palm guards were a little slippery on baby giants and tap swings and clear hips.

I chalk mine just by rubbing them in chalk. I don't use water, and they work fine.

Without grips I am perfectly fine,, never feel like I am going to slip.
I use dowel grips, and i squirt a little water one them and tthen actaully rub a block of chalk on them

Grips are supposed to help you grip the bar better. After wearing your grips for a while you will like them so always use them, even if you don't want to.

Wear dowel grips and make sure the dowel is over the top of the bar. Your grips might be the wrong size so I would probably ask your coach about that. I chalk up my grips with water and chalk. Don't use to much water though, then you really are in danger of peeling because the excess water will make all the chalk just slip off onto the bars. Just the right amount will make the chalk stick to your grips great.

I just started using grips this summer due to not being able to hold on during long kips. I hated them for a while, because I couldn't feel the bar beneath my hands! I'm still getting used to them, mostly I'm just working up to the skills I used to have.

Try long swings, and making them bigger and bigger - until you feel comfortable doing your biggest swings and skills without peeling off! I spray a little water on them once in a while during practice, and use a block of chalk once they are slightly damp. The more I used them, the more comfortable I felt with my old skills and not flying off the bar!

Oddly enough I was still perfectly fine with my fly-ways with grips, but was scared to death of glide kips and long kips! It'll come eventually, I promise; I was the last person I ever thought could ever get used to grips, seeing as I'm 18 and have never ever used grips and don't like not being able to feel the bar in my hands, but they're okay now.
Good luck :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back