gym hopping discussion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it would be impossible to set a number of gym changes when the reasons can be so varied. If I could advise a parent who had just moved I would suggest you need a year in a program to really get the feel of it and give the gymnast time to know her coaches and team mates. Obviously if there are safety problems that does not apply. I know of a family who switched between 4 gyms in under a year but have been at the last gym for a year now. The gymnast was very inconsistant with skills and had wild level differences across the pieces.
As a coach it is always very difficult when a gymnast leaves, especially if you were close and had long-term plans for the future. You can only hope that they continue to be happy and enjoy the sport.

We loved our gym for years until new owners took over. The new owners are gym-hoppers who finally bought a gym for their daughter--the future Nastia, so they would not have to gym-hop any more. I think they went through 3 gyms at least. Sadly, they RUN the gym like gym-hoppers and cater to the parents who sit there with pursed lips and feel they can coach better than the coaches. We (sadly) left with quite a few others and we are pretty happy at the new gym. I guess that makes us hoppers! Who is it hard on? The friends who stayed and the friends who left as there is a terrible sense of competitiveness. Sadly, the pursed-lip parents seem to be the ones fostering that. It sure isn't healthy for the kids.

We gym hopped with older DD, but it wasn't because we were 'looking' for what 'we' wanted persay. The first time we left a gym with her was because I as her mom had had enough of the abusive coaching, but sadly DD was subjected to it for over 5 years. I took her to an awesome gym, but after 2 years and a lot of positives we had experienced a lot of emotional problems with our DS that made it difficult to drive DD to and from the gym. We had to find a closer gym in order to take DS back and forth to weekly Doc. appts. DD didn't care much for the gym that we moved her to, and so we hopped again. She was with a great coach then, but sadly after a year he was let go in order to make room for the same abusive coaches that DD had 3 years prior. Hence, we hopped again. We were not interested in going through that ever again! After a year, DD was in no emotional state to remain in gym. I regret all of the gym hopping I did with older DD and therfore never plan on 'hopping' with little DD. She has been at her gym since she was 3.5. I might have 'thought' about it once or twice, but every time I remember what happened with her older DD and I always come to the reconciliation that with regular communication with her coaches all will be well. Gym hopping, in my personal opinion, does more harm than good for all involved. I really could careless about the "talking/gossiping" that other parents and coaches do/will do about the gym hopping. What concerns me more is the emotional state that the child is left with. All though the initial two moves were out of my control, I still feel extremely guilty and will bare that 'evil' forever. I do live with 'what ifs' when I think about what I allowed to happen to older DD. All I can do now is support her and realize that she has grown up to be a beautiful, young woman in spite of all she experienced in her past. I do not want little DD to experience that and will do all I can to prevent it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the real difference between gym hopping, even once a year, and classes changing once a year, is the long-term plan in different gyms is not the same. Different gyms are going to have different "development plans", different philosophies, different schedules for skill aquisition and the like, while all of that is pretty consistent within a school. I.E., you do English 9 this year, English 10 next year, English 11 year after, and take one of several offered courses the year after. Yes, there are level progressions in gymnastics, but each gym handles them differently.

I think this is probably the most significant difference between gym and school, considering that in a school with more than 2,000 students, like mine, it's pretty likely that you're not going to know most of your classmates one year to the next. And most of the time you're going to have completely different teachers except in a subject like music.

As for gym hoppers, I haven't known of any in the area, which is possibly because it's pretty rural out here in the Midwest so the drive would be a big issue if you wanted to change gyms. Some of our girls have switched to a newer gym in town, but I don't know if that'll last...their equipment isn't as good and they're going through a coaching change, but they have ties to a university team which might look good for parents of kids considering a scholarship. But that's only one gym switch.

This is actually kind of personal for me because one of my teammates who I've had a love/hate relationship with for several years recently switched to a gym which doesn't perform as well as our gym, especially at the optional level. This girl has been struggling for years with the basics, and was working level 6 at our gym, but switched because her mother felt that our gym was not dealing with her needs sufficiently. To be honest, I think perhaps gym was just not a good sport for her. She didn't always apply herself unless there was a level change at stake (esp. in strength)...but I don't think being in a gym that doesn't perform as well will put her "on par" with the other girls.

We loved our gym for years until new owners took over. The new owners are gym-hoppers who finally bought a gym for their daughter--the future Nastia, so they would not have to gym-hop any more. I think they went through 3 gyms at least. Sadly, they RUN the gym like gym-hoppers and cater to the parents who sit there with pursed lips and feel they can coach better than the coaches. We (sadly) left with quite a few others and we are pretty happy at the new gym. I guess that makes us hoppers! Who is it hard on? The friends who stayed and the friends who left as there is a terrible sense of competitiveness. Sadly, the pursed-lip parents seem to be the ones fostering that. It sure isn't healthy for the kids.
One gym change is not a hopper. And it is hardest on the relationships you've built with the people. After all, we spend as much time at the gym as at home (sometimes more).

We came very close to changing gyms last year. It was really a problem with just Pickle’s coach and I was intimidated to talk to the owner about the issue. In fact, that’s the reason I joined Chalk Bucket, to get advice. She was a very negative person and also extremely unreliable (wouldn’t reply to emails, said she gave us info when she didn’t). I reached the point where I just didn’t trust her – which is not a good situation when she is spotting your child.

There was finally an incident that the gym owner was made aware of by a third party. Pickle’s coach didn’t show up for a scheduled private and the woman running the front desk told the owner. The owner called me to apologize and all my frustrations came tumbling out. The owner (off the record) assured me that Pickle would not be with that coach the next year so we decided to stay.

Good thing we did since the coach we had the problem with ended up moving to the gym where we were going to go. Funny how things work out.

We are very happy at the gym this year with a different coach.

We came very close to changing gyms last year. It was really a problem with just Pickle’s coach and I was intimidated to talk to the owner about the issue. In fact, that’s the reason I joined Chalk Bucket, to get advice. She was a very negative person and also extremely unreliable (wouldn’t reply to emails, said she gave us info when she didn’t). I reached the point where I just didn’t trust her – which is not a good situation when she is spotting your child.

There was finally an incident that the gym owner was made aware of by a third party. Pickle’s coach didn’t show up for a scheduled private and the woman running the front desk told the owner. The owner called me to apologize and all my frustrations came tumbling out. The owner (off the record) assured me that Pickle would not be with that coach the next year so we decided to stay.

Good thing we did since the coach we had the problem with ended up moving to the gym where we were going to go. Funny how things work out.

We are very happy at the gym this year with a different coach.

Trust is a big deal for me. If I can't trust the coach, then why should I expect my child to trust him?

I wouldn't call changing gyms once or twice gym hopping. Not every gym will be a good fit. Gym hopping is multiple gyms in a short time. The family I was referring to clearly will never be satisfied with any gym that doesn't perform miracles and get their kid to the top as fast as humanly possible.

Some kids do great on the fast track, great form, consistently scoring well at meets, no issues with fears and injuries. For others the fast track concept is brutal and when parents don't back off the results are not something to be proud of.

Many, many parents here have moved gyms a couple of times, no big deal, but really 8 times in under three years is certifiable. iMHO of course, each to his own madness.

Wow - this thread really brought out the responses. DD started at a rec gym when she was 4. I picked her up one day and there was a new person there who said he was buying the gym and had been observing the girls and he wanted to put dd on pre-team when he took over. Her first meet was at L5 when she was 6 (she was 7 that season before the cut off date.) and now she is 18 and 2nd year L10. Same gym, same coach. He is like a member of the family now. Oh, by the way, DD got 3rd AA yesterday at a meet with 16 in her age group so I think I can say that staying put and being with the same coach for 14 years has been good for her and her sport.

WOW... what interesting responses. I don't mean to offend, but this is just my take on this gym hopping thread. It seems to me that the term "gym hopper" is someone (i.e. parent) who is continually switching gyms because they always believe that the next gym/coach/environment/whatever will be THE ONE who can miraculously change their daughter into that college scholarship hopeful/elite Olympic potential gymnast. I'm just wondering too, if the gym hoppers are parents of younger girls, maybe 7 to 9 ish? I would think that the older girls would tell you how they felt about all of this switching.

Sometimes you just want to tell parents that more training hours does NOT equal higher level skills, rushing through the levels is not a good thing for most gymnasts, and that switching these girls over and over again is going to kill any joy they have in this sport. NOT every girl will become an elite athlete, no matter how much you, as the parent, may want that to happen!!!

This is the child's sport and she needs to be the one to set the tone of her training.

It just occurred to me.... Imagine having to buy all those team leos. That is a serious amount of cash!

And speaking of trust, it is very important to trust the coaches but at the same time it is equally important for the coaches to trust the parents (and the gymnast). The coach needs to know that the parent is going to "commit" to the program and work with them with any decisions regarding their dd. Not every situation is perfect but good communication and some compromise and PATIENCE will usually remedy any situation. Olympians are NOT created overnight, and it takes trust on BOTH sides for the experience to be a pleasurable and successful one for the gymnast. As many people would like to think, there are NO SHORTCUTS to get to elite.

As a coach--

Most people know who the hoppers are. Gymnastics is small. We know that if we get a kid who's been in every leo in the area, they're not going to stay with us.

That doesn't keep me from teaching that child. If they're my athlete at that time, they're going to get the same instruction & in practice attention as every other kid I work with. But there's less bonding--our gym is kind of different in that it's got a close knit community extended family sort of atmosphere, & it's hard to develop that with kids who you know are going to be gone in a few months. You just don't develop a bank of shared experiences, & it takes a while for them to be on the same page as the girls who've been there since the dawn of time.

I see it as an attempt to get the most fast-tracky path to high levels, which are not a bad goal by any means, but it deprives them of a lot of the good stuff that gymnasts of any level learn & experience.

The old gym we were at had seven gymnast leave last year and all have gone to the same "new "gym. Some have "hopped" before or have been at other gyms in the area. I believe many of us were talked about when we left but now it seems those that talked negatively about us are now visiting the 'new" gym. If you stay at a gym for awhile especially the higher levels that is an accomplishment in itself. Gymnastics is a very tough sport mentally and physically. Any length of time in this sport builds character and discipline.

WOW... what interesting responses. I don't mean to offend, but this is just my take on this gym hopping thread. It seems to me that the term "gym hopper" is someone (i.e. parent) who is continually switching gyms because they always believe that the next gym/coach/environment/whatever will be THE ONE who can miraculously change their daughter into that college scholarship hopeful/elite Olympic potential gymnast.

This is what I think of when I think of "gym hoppers" too. Families who have had to switch gyms a few times for varying reasons don't really fit that term for me. There will always be legitimate reasons to move on, and sometimes these reasons occur more than once to the same family.

A certain amount of trying out gyms to find the best fit for a certain gymnast isn't unreasonable in itself, but at some point (I don't have an exact number in mind) you have to wonder whether it's the family's expectations that are unreasonable rather than the gym not being right for that gymnast.

A certain amount of trying out gyms to find the best fit for a certain gymnast isn't unreasonable in itself, but at some point (I don't have an exact number in mind) you have to wonder whether it's the family's expectations that are unreasonable rather than the gym not being right for that gymnast.

You hit the nail pn the head with that explanation. And I don't think there is a number, it's in the attitude of the hopper - and the fault almost always falls on a parent.

Have we gym hopped? No. Daughter started with these coaches at 3. Stayed out a couple of years to try other sports and came back to gym. There are 2 other options in the mid part of our state. One is a gym that is like a mass market gym. In and out. Injuries occur all the time and pretty serious ones. The other is a smaller gym but the equipment is very old, very very old. It does not appear safe. So no real options. I am quite happy with daughter's gym and coaches. Thankfully. :)

We met a girl who is currently on the jr national team several years ago who was training with a coach associated with our gym. The girl gym hopped all the time. The parents would move her all of the US to get her to the olympics. She has been to all the "name brand" gyms. Everytime, something happens and off they go to find another gym. Is that not normal? We weren't sure since we have never seen a child reach that level. Reading this thread, I see where lots of people say it is better to stay with the same coach. Any ideas?

I stayed at the same gym for my whole career, but that was largely due to transportation issues and cost.

But there are 3 gyms in my area, and I have seen many girls go through all 3 of them. Gym #1 is expensive and intense. They like to have their gymnasts home-schooled at the gym and you have to have all the skills for the level 2 above you before you can move up, but they have one going elite and a bunch of high level optionals.

Many switch from there to my gym, gym #2, to get away from the intensity and cost. They usually stay for a few years at least. They rediscover their love for gym. I've also noticed that unlike the other gyms in my area, every single girl on the team is friends with each other, from level 4 to the level 7. They might not be close, but there is never any bickering or fighting. Sometimes after a few years and climbing a few levels the girls decide they want to take gymnastics more seriously and they switch to gym #3. Only 1 time in my 8 years at this gym has anyone ever gone back to gym #1.

Gym #3 is in a neighboring city and usually a bit farther away for the girls who are switching. From what I have heard they like it there and do very well. My closest gym friend moved there at the beginning of the school year, and I just heard that my favorite level 4, to whom I taught both a forward roll and a BHS, is moving to that gym in the next couple months. It breaks my heart to see her go, but I know she will to awesome there. I wish I could take all my gymnasts with me to college and let them live in my closet so I could still coach them...

Parents. Have you gym hopped? If so how many times and why? Yes but only once was it because we did not like the coaching. At the first gym she had an abusive coach. This coach would scream at and humiliate the kids. She was there for 3 years. We had several discussions with the coach but they were unproductive because he was also the gym owner. My dd asked to leave because she was so sad after each practice. HC screamed at us on the way out and called us quitters. The second gym closed after a year, the third gym had the optional coach leave after 3 months, the 4th gym went out of business after 2 years. The 5th gym is the one we are at now and my daughter never wants to leave. The environment is positive and nurturing. They have produced many elites and college scholarships.

Have you ever been told that your child needs to repeat and then left? At the first gym, but in addition to being abusive, they repeat all their level 4s and 5s for 3 years regardless of skill level; the level 6s only spend one year at that level. So, each gymnast spends 7 years as a compulsory. Think that is a lot especially if the kid has all the skills to move up.

If you have gym hopped, do you believe it was beneficial to your child and their advancement in the sport? It was really out of necessity. But my child thrived with every change. And learned a lot from each set of coaches.

To all. DO gym hoppers get talked about in the back rooms, either in the viewing area or in the coaches room? Is this talked about at meets? Do clubs all know who the hoppers are in their region? DO you watch out for them? Yes, the coaches and owners know who they are and feel sorry for the kids. Usually the parents calm down once they reach optional levels.

Lastly, and most importantly, what do you think the effect on the child will be? I don't think constant hopping can be a good thing especially if the parents are pushing the kid and don't have a realistic attitude about their kids potential.

As an FYI, out of 27 kids that started with my dd at level 4, there are only 2 still left in the sport 4 years later and they are both training level 8.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back