gym hopping discussion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Long term, it is generally best for the gymnast to stick to one particular coaching style, one particular plan of progress, etc. It's great for them to occasionally go to a camp or a joint workout with another gym or work with a guest coach from time to time, but most good coaches have very specific progressions, and it's not beneficial in the long run for a gymnast to switch from place to place, because she never gets to follow through with the entire progressions as originally planned.

This reminds me of Marvin Sharp's story with Bridget Sloane. I remember reading something back when she won Worlds that basically said the same thing - he had a plan for her progression from day 1, and by sticking it out, she fulfilled that plan. Had she had a change in coaching staff as she started optionals, it would have thrown her off track. It was also somewhat in reference to why he didn't (doesn't still? I don't know) do TOPs at his gym.

My dd was at the same gym for 3 years. For more than a year we contemplated moving, but wanted to make sure we were very sure about what we were doing. We gave the first gym the benefit of the doubt more times than I can count, but in the end, we decided that for dd's safety we just had to switch. We will never go back to the old gym and hope to never switch gyms. Unfortunately if she decides to try for the high school team here we would have to switch at that point, but that is years away so I don't think about it. Who knows if she will even still be doing it then?

My dd had more trouble adjusting to her first gym here (we had moved from another state when she was 6, before she started competing) than she did the new gym. Just fit right in and loves everyone there. Best thing we could have ever done. some people are never going to be happy though and there is nothing you can do about it.
Jennifer

I think gym hopping, for the right reasons, can be a perfectly fine and healthy thing for both gymnasts and families. However, 8 gyms in 3 years is beyond excessive. 8 gyms over the course of a gymnastics career, unless some kind of extenuating circumstances are present (job transfers, family moved for other reasons, etc.), is excessive.
As a gymnast, I attended 3 gyms over the course of 7 years. There were not a ton of options in the area, and two of the programs were not healthy, productive programs at the time. My parents and I made the decision based on my own needs which were not being met, as well as my own well being which was being sacrificed (brutally mean teammates and a coach who encouraged the animosity, large group sizes, selfish coaches, dishonest gym owner), just generally bad situations which did contribute to the quality of my gymnastics (or lack thereof), but also had a negative impact on the larger picture. It upsets me that those first two gyms I attended are still up and running, and while I hope their ways have improved, I doubt that (especially at one of those gyms). When I left gym #2 (a very deceptive, mean spirited place), I heard from a teammate that the coaches discussed my decision to leave after the fact remarking that I would not make any progress at the new gym either as I was just too fat for anyone to spot or something along those lines. This is an extreme example of coaches "talking" about a gymnast deciding to leave, but it does happen. Funny thing was, the coaches at the new gym seemed to manage spotting this fatty pretty well ;)
Over the summer I had the opportunity to coach at a gym in my hometown which received several transfers from perhaps the most destructive gym I attended as an athlete. I had a great deal of respect for those athletes and their parents for getting out of what was probably a dead end situation. However, these were not girls who had been at numerous other gyms. Likewise, at my current gym the girls switching to the program are often making their first switch, so nothing I am overly concerned about.
There are just so many factors contributing to the decision to make a gym switch that it is hard to make any generalizations. But, for the most part, I think I would become concerned, as a coach, if the hopping was excessive, happening over short periods of time, and happening due to questionable motives.

see, when we have off nights and the grass ain't so green i up and walk out of the gym. the kids ask my wife "where is he going?" she tells them that i fired myself. the kids then usually respond with something like "but he owns the gym...he shouldn't be fired!" then my wife explains that i quit so that they didn't have to, cause when work outs go badly he knows he needs your help and he felt that tonight none of you were motivated to see everyone have a good & safe practice so he doesn't want to lose his temper and risk all of YOU quitting cause you get yelled at because you are still learning what it means to be a gymnast. he already knows so he fires himself.

the kids sit there confused...then they start asking if my wife if she will re-hire me. my wife explain that she didn't fire me. that i fired myself. then the older 9's and 10's come over. they ask what's going on (they already know and they know my shtick). so they engage the younger ones and explain that most kids quit gyms cause they get yelled at for not working hard which could cause someone other than yourself to get hurt if not yourself. so, (insert my name) is giving you the space to figure that out and figure out if you want to be a gymnast.

now, the younger kids get it cause it came from the older kids. now the're a bit sad. so one of the elder athletes will say "well, he's not just not coaching you...he's also not coaching us." he must REALLY respect us enough to stay silent and leave rather than yell at you for not behaving as an athlete should. so, we GUESS what he's trying to tell you is that it's easier for him to quit than it is for you guys to change your behavior." "make sense"? "he's telling you that your welcome to stay at his gym just not with him in it".

they always answer yes. and then i come walking back in. it's only a 5 minute shtick. the youngers start asking me who fired me. and all the other questions you can imagine that come out of this scenario with older athletes leading the way.

they usually all agree and state that "okay, we don't know who fired you but will work harder and stay quiet so that you can keep your job."

i hope you all can understand what i'm describing so that i don't have to say "well, you have to be there."

so, i try to accomplish teaching them that being a gymnast requires more than just showing up. that you are responsible for each others safety which outcome is determined by how they comport themselves during the work out. and that i respect their space by giving them that space (with the help of the older gymnasts who know my shtick) without throwing them out of the place they love.

sure gets them thinking. and the feeling that they get that they don't like when the coach gets fired (quits). then when one of them starts talking about quitting cause they hit a hard patch almost on beat one of them will remind that gymnast of what happened when their coach got fired. and returned.

i hope you all see the simple humor and the lesson in all of this. teaching kids to be accountable for themselves and for others safety is paramount to developing high level gymnasts. it's a long process.:)

my wife said i forgot the most important part: that when i'm not around, the athletes talk about what it feels like for everyone when someone quits. like the coach or an athlete. and how were all connected and everyone feels bad. so you better not quit just cause
the going gets a bit rough...and that that's what it's like at all the gyms when you don't have kids and coaches that are in to working all day every day. my wife believes that this is the reason that most kids quit gyms. and i'm not about to argue with her...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I tried to reply earlier, but for some reason it did not post so I am going to try again :)

An 8 year old kid, at 8 gyms in 3 years ??? SERIOUSLY ??????????? Not military moving all the time, no job transfer, just gym hopping ?? INSANE !!!!!!!!

DD is 10. She started in a preschool class @ her current gym, and slowly worked her way up to team. She is now L5. There are other gyms in our area that we could drive to but, we are happy where we are. We have had girls come from other gyms to ours. One because hers closed, one moved from out of state. The others, just needed a different type of program/ coaching or whatever. A few have since left the sport, but have not 'hopped' to another gym. The program @ DD's gym is very small w/ about 16 team girls L4-8. Most have never been to another gym.

We have had girls leave, it's not perfect for everyone. One to another gym, where she is happy & doing well. Two quit entirely because their parents would not pay for a 3rd or 4th year at a level and they could not move up due to missing an important skill. One just could not get her kip and the other her flyaway.

It would seem very detrimental to me to bounce a kid around like that. They spend a lot of time with the people at that gym. There is no time to bond with teammates or coaches, learn to trust, just be part of the group. DD's gym, maybe because it is so small, the girls are like family, if you are not there long, how do you bond with the other girls. And, with the amount of time spent at gym, how do you make any friends at all. I guess some @ school, but it's hard to have playdates w/ all the gym time.

Seems like the parent pushing the kid to be the next Nastia. Not many 8 year olds are goal oriented enough or mature enough to understand the committement it takes to be the next Nastia, so how would they know that is what they want ? Sounds like it is what the parent wants.

There is nothing wrong with repeating a level. The only valid reason I see for switching due to this is if the gym holds back to win meets. Otherwise I would say "you are paying the coaches to coach. They know USAG system, judging, scoring, form etc everything needed to help your child be the best gymnast they can be. Sometimes that means doing a level more than once" I try to stay out of that aspect with my DD. I do coach @ the gym and sometimes have to work with her group, so it can be tough. But I leave all decisions about her level between HC and her. I want NOTHING to do with it. I want to be her cheerleader. Because I am proud of her every minute she is doing what she loves. Even if her legs are bent and it's driving me crazy because another coach or myself has had to say "straighten your legs" 100 times that day. Face it some days are more bendy than others :rolleyes:

I do believe that if this gym hopping was going on ALL of the coaches in the area would know about it and be talking about it, how could they not ?

I guess as a coach if someone left because they felt another gym would be a better fit I would wish them well and tell them that the door is open if it does not work out as they plan. But if they came back and left again, I probably would still wish them well, but would not have them back a 3rd time.

I wish this poor girl luck. I think she will need it. Kids need stability. obviously she has none.

oh, and Dunno - you are awesome. I always learn from your posts.

I think it depends on why the gymnast leaves. The gym I work at has very few gymnasts ever leave... the ones who do have usually just stopped at our gym along the way. You can usually tell when they come in the door and have already been to two or three other gyms that they will only be a two year gig or so. The lifers usually grow up in your gym. We attribute this to the fact that the kids who come to our program from other gyms are often allowed to do whatever they want ( at home and in the gym) When they come into our very structured program where you don't talk back to adults and don't talk about beating your teammates at the next meet... well, they don't usually last long here! (I have heard the way some of my gymnasts talk to their parents in the lobby and I am appalled). These same parents are the ones who are unhappy because their child isn't getting x, y and z. In the few instances we have had when gymnasts do leave us, it is a good move all the way around.. the other kids are happier and you quickly find out that the parents in the lobby are happier too because the "crazy mom" is no longer there to have to sit next to at the restaurants or meets! Sometimes gym hopping is GOOD!

We only have 2 gym programs in our area, the YMCA program that my DD participates in and the private gym in town. I know of more that have switched from the private gym to the Y than vice versa. The reasons that I have heard from the parents switching to the Y from the private gym are generally cost, the intensity of the program, and issues like a level 4 gymnast being told that she would have to go back to pre-team if she was going to miss a meet (for a wedding!).

We do have one YMCA gymnast that moved to the private team this year. She was a level 3 last year at the Y and the private gym evaluated her and said that she would be able to compete level 5 if she switched to them. I admit I was curious, so I looked up her scores and her lowest score at her most recent meet (we're about half-way through the season) was in the 4 range and her highest scores were in the 6 range. I think, if I was her mom, I'd be wishing that she had competed level 4 this year.

That said, for various reasons, I have considered the switch. There were times when I was annoyed enough with the Y that I would have switched her if the choice was up to me, but she's devoted to her team and her coaches and won't consider it. And my husband is against the long hours she'd be at the private gym. If she stays with the Y, she won't be able to progress past a level 7 or possibly a level 8 (she's a level 5 now), but ultimately that will have to be her decision. Quite frankly, both teams have issues. I wish I could pick and choose the best parts of the two gyms, but she's happy and thriving so I won't complain (especially since the Y is significantly less expensive and only a few blocks from our house).

The private gym has gotten really huge (and the Y team can't really grown any larger than it is given our space, equiptment, and the fact that we have to share the gym with basketball, zumba, kids night out, etc.), so I think there's room in town for a new gym. Anyone out there want to move to Central PA and open a new gym? I could be convinced to become a gym hopper!

see, when we have off nights and the grass ain't so green i up and walk out of the gym. the kids ask my wife "where is he going?" she tells them that i fired myself. the kids then usually respond with something like "but he owns the gym...he shouldn't be fired!" then my wife explains that i quit so that they didn't have to, cause when work outs go badly he knows he needs your help and he felt that tonight none of you were motivated to see everyone have a good & safe practice so he doesn't want to lose his temper and risk all of YOU quitting cause you get yelled at because you are still learning what it means to be a gymnast. he already knows so he fires himself.

the kids sit there confused...then they start asking if my wife if she will re-hire me. my wife explain that she didn't fire me. that i fired myself. then the older 9's and 10's come over. they ask what's going on (they already know and they know my shtick). so they engage the younger ones and explain that most kids quit gyms cause they get yelled at for not working hard which could cause someone other than yourself to get hurt if not yourself. so, (insert my name) is giving you the space to figure that out and figure out if you want to be a gymnast.

now, the younger kids get it cause it came from the older kids. now the're a bit sad. so one of the elder athletes will say "well, he's not just not coaching you...he's also not coaching us." he must REALLY respect us enough to stay silent and leave rather than yell at you for not behaving as an athlete should. so, we GUESS what he's trying to tell you is that it's easier for him to quit than it is for you guys to change your behavior." "make sense"? "he's telling you that your welcome to stay at his gym just not with him in it".

they always answer yes. and then i come walking back in. it's only a 5 minute shtick. the youngers start asking me who fired me. and all the other questions you can imagine that come out of this scenario with older athletes leading the way.

they usually all agree and state that "okay, we don't know who fired you but will work harder and stay quiet so that you can keep your job."

i hope you all can understand what i'm describing so that i don't have to say "well, you have to be there."

so, i try to accomplish teaching them that being a gymnast requires more than just showing up. that you are responsible for each others safety which outcome is determined by how they comport themselves during the work out. and that i respect their space by giving them that space (with the help of the older gymnasts who know my shtick) without throwing them out of the place they love.

sure gets them thinking. and the feeling that they get that they don't like when the coach gets fired (quits). then when one of them starts talking about quitting cause they hit a hard patch almost on beat one of them will remind that gymnast of what happened when their coach got fired. and returned.

i hope you all see the simple humor and the lesson in all of this. teaching kids to be accountable for themselves and for others safety is paramount to developing high level gymnasts. it's a long process.:)

my wife said i forgot the most important part: that when i'm not around, the athletes talk about what it feels like for everyone when someone quits. like the coach or an athlete. and how were all connected and everyone feels bad. so you better not quit just cause
the going gets a bit rough...and that that's what it's like at all the gyms when you don't have kids and coaches that are in to working all day every day. my wife believes that this is the reason that most kids quit gyms. and i'm not about to argue with her...:)

Brilliantly said!!!! I so wish you coached at my dd's gym!!! Not only are you an awesome and amazing coach, you also go above and beyond in teaching kids values and lessons that they can take with them through their adult lives. I too, learn so much from your posts!!! Thank you!! :)

I've seen kids come and go to and from other gyms at our gym...my dd is just now coming up on her 2 year anniversary in this sport...all at original gym. I've heard the reasons why they come...why they are leaving...some are better than others. I've never heard of anyone repeatedly doing it, though, so I wouldn't know who those habitual gym hoppers are out here-of course, we are so new, we don't know much anyway, lol!!

However, HOLY COW!!! you mean someone VOLUNTARILY bought 8 comp leos and all the gear, and paid 8 registrations!!!??!! are they absolutely nuts!?
Not to mention, I know if you leave and there is money in your assessment account and you belong to a booster club, you do NOT get it back!!!
These people must not only be extremely pushy but have super deep pockets!!! Crikey!!

Parents. Have you gym hopped? No- but I thought about it. DD did not want to move. If so how many times and why? Had to find a new gym once when a gym program closed Have you ever been told that your child needs to repeat Yes and then left? No- one time she did repeat, the next time she worked her butt off and got to move If you have gym hopped, do you believe it was beneficial to your child and their advancement in the sport?

To all. DO gym hoppers get talked about in the back rooms, either in the viewing area or in the coaches room? yes Is this talked about at meets? yes Do clubs all know who the hoppers are in their region? yes DO you watch out for them? each year you look for them to be in a different leo at the meets. You greet their parents and hear the latest story of how the last gym wasn't meeting their needs and how happy everything is at the new gym. You peek at their scores to see if they truly have found the magic potion that turns gymnasts into superstars. You see your dd greet them with a big Hi! You're at XYZ gym now? How is it? and see them brush of your dd with a quick hi it's fine.

Lastly, and most importantly, what do you think the effect on the child will be? I don't know. I don't watch that closely. But I haven't seen any gym hoppers in my area go further than level 8 and haven't seen any go into Division I schools.

I absolutely love the reverse psychology going on here!!!!

Wow what an interesting thread!!! I have to say I just don't get it??? I can understand an occasional gym switch may be needed. Not all gyms are created equal & a good fit is of major importance for the gymnast to succeed. But 8 gyms in 3 years??? How can that child build any trusting relationships with coaches or friends??? This can not possibly be in the child's best interest has a gymnast or as a child!!! Lots of great info in the this thread & I hope gym hoppers who read CB take heed! Especially LOVE GT & Dunno's post!!!!

My DD only switched gyms once when we moved & that was when she was on pre-team. She has stuck with the same gym, through thick & thin for nearly 10yrs! Coaches & team mates have come & gone. She has grown up in this gym. It is a second home, a second family to her. She has learned so much by staying in one gym for her career. Learned about, life, relationships, trust, friendships, working things out with people & situations. I could go on & on. Not to say I didn't question this the decision to stay at times. There have been some rough times but we worked through them together. It always came down to my DD wanting to stay with this gym and because it is her sport, I supported her. Looking back I'm glad I listened to her & followed her wishes instead of forcing her to switch. But that's just us & our situation. I know all situations are different. But 8 gyms in 3 years....I just can't get passed that!!! It's crazy!!! Sounds to me like it's more about the parents egos than what is best for the gymnast in that case:(.

Last edited:
First of all I must say that I am stunned by that. Totally crazy!

We have been at the same Gym since she started. It's not perfect but I don't think there is any perfect Gym. I think it would take a lot for me to move her.

Our Gym also has a policy that once you leave ( to go to another Gym ) then you can not come back.

We know who the Gym hoppers are mainly because we live in a fairly small area so word gets around. We actually had one come through our Gym last year. She is now on her 3rd Gym.

I think certain circumstances warrant a change but those parents who constantly move their kids IMO are just doing to feed their own egos. It has to be really hard on the kid to be uprooted and thrown into a new situation over and over again.

Tracy

I have heard some of the parents talk about other gyms certain gymnasts have also trained in but I've never heard it discussed in a gossipy or hateful way. More like "so-and-so has trained at X and Y but now she's at Z."

We don't have a lot of turnover. With our new HC/owner, we have had lots of new gymnasts come in and stay but I haven't noticed anyone leaving. There was a pretty big gym close down in the next town over and the circumstances were a bit shady. We ended up with several of those girls but they have fit right in and seem to be planning on staying.

We haven't gym hopped. We've only been at one gym and stayed at that gym through an ownership change. What's worrisome to me is that Bella, at age 6, is already stating situation where she would want to start going to another gym. That makes me uncomfortable because I am a very loyal person and our HC has been wonderful to my child. Luckily Mom gets the final call on where Bella trains. LOL

WOW! 8 gyms in 3 years! My guess is that the parents are dilusional about their daughter's talent and they just keep on moving when they don't get the answers they want? Sadly, they probably ruined any chances she had at being sucessful because for starters she is missing the total "gymnastics" package. Sometimes it's not about the talent, it's about the heart. If your kid is in the gym for 16 or more hours a week for several years, she is going to have to love it. Part of the love is for her team, her friends that support her become like a family. There are fun times in the gym, like holiday parties, gym shows, even birthday parties with teamates. They become cheerleaders for each other! They truly pick each other up when they are down at practice or in meets. And, those coaches, are like parents too! They know and understand each and every girl and their needs, how to train them, correct them, and share in their wins and losses. The girls learn to trust their coaches. You have to have trust in them to get to the bigger skills. Sometimes that trust isn't there right away, it takes time. Sure, there are reasons to leave, financial, coaches leaving, looking for more competative or less competative gym to meet your daughters needs, but with each and every "hop" there will be some transition involved. After so many transitions, where is the fun, the stability, the trust, the friendships? Talent will only get you so far, the rest has to be just the love of the sport, support of those around you who care, your coaches and teamates. Plus, slow and steady wins the race! It's her sport so maybe the parents should stop yanking her around and ask HER what SHE wants to do. Sounds like it's not gymnastics!

As for my DD, yup she did a hop, but it was for financial reasons, and while we miss old coach and teamates, we love our current gym and it is the perfect fit for us. She loves the girls, coaches and after doing this for over 4 years (and repeating levels!) still loves to go to practice, feels like home to us.

OK just to play devils' advocate on the gossip aspect ... what if:
Gym 1 was just kindergym (she was only 5). Gym 2 offered real gymnastics. Gym 3 was just a summer camp type arrangement. She showed ability and interest, so they switched to Gym 4 which offered more training time and allowed her to compete. Unfortunately she was abused/bullied, so she switched to Gym 5. She did next summer at Gym 6. She switched to Gym 7 to follow a favourite coach along with her best friend. Then had the following summer at Gym 8. I suspect she's now due to be switched to Gym 9. After all, she has now stuck with the sport for 3 years, seems to have some ability, and it's just dawned on her parents that Gym 7 has no optionals/elites so may not be an optimal long term prospect - even though it will mean buying a 4th meet leo. Then she may well have to hop again when the cost all begins to wear thin.
OK it might be a bit of a stretch.
But still ... if all that gym hopping was really all about unfulfilled parental ambition with never a geographical move involved ... that's some magical city that has so many gym programs to choose between that have all seemed a good place for a super-ambitious parent to have enrolled their child.

8 gyms in 3 years is beyond ridiculous! I don't think I can come with a scenario that would account for THAT much hopping! Since you've stated that almost ALL of the changes were due to a parent feeling that their 'star' was being undervalued and not pushed up to the next competing level when they (the parent) thought that they should (we'll not go into the fact of whether this parent is a usag coach who is qualified to make those decision about progression), then I think that there is just no plausible excuse for ripping an 8yr old child in-and-out of that many gyms in that amount of time. As for the gym who allowed that parent back in the program (after leaving) - I would guess that they've learned their lesson since that parent ripped their kid back out after a short time. Our gym has a no return policy (with very few exceptions).

As to
Parents. Have you gym hopped? If so how many times and why? Have you ever been told that your child needs to repeat and then left? If you have gym hopped, do you believe it was beneficial to your child and their advancement in the sport?
dd started out in a local Rec Only gym and was quite happy but begged to compete, so she switched to a gym that competed (I don't consider that a gym hop). After competing there for 2 years (at the same level - so no we didn't switch b/c they wanted her to repeat a level) and seeing the many downfalls of the program (mostly management and the fact that the gym had NO optionals and finding out that there really was no prospects for doing optional there) we decided to move dd while she was still in the lower compulsory levels with the reasoning that it made no sense to stay at this gym and wait until it was time to compete optionals and then switch. Each gym has there own program and if you are intending to compete at gym B in 2 years, isn't it better to let gym B train her in their style and long term goals in mind? dd has been at her gym for 3 years and is extremely happy.

To all. DO gym hoppers get talked about in the back rooms, either in the viewing area or in the coaches room? Is this talked about at meets? Do clubs all know who the hoppers are in their region? DO you watch out for them?
YES! The parents do this to an extent (wow! so-and-so had to buy another set of leos and warm-ups this season), but I know many coaches/owners who discuss the major offenders. The gym world is a small community and the coaches talk. I know of at least one instance of a higher level gymnast known to switch often (although not nearly as many as that crazy 8 gyms in 3 yrs :eek:) and she was quite the topic of conversation. No owner or coach wants to take on a gymnast and put time and training into a girl who will more than likely up and leave before they really show your efforts. If they moves are due to Parent Pushiness (my child HAS to compete the next level, I will NOT allow her to repeat a level) then no owner wants that kind of drama introduced into the lobby either - (parents are a huge reason for whether a kid is accepted on team or not. Having a talented gymnast on your team does not outweigh the negative effect of having a crazy parent stirring up trouble in the lobby and causing ill feeling amongst the parents).

Lastly, and most importantly, what do you think the effect on the child will be?
I think that after SO many moves that the 8yr old in question will burn out/hate the sport or develop crippling fear issues that force a retirement from the sport. Sounds harsh, but how is that little girl supposed to develop ANY trust in ANY coach or team? She has not been at any of the gyms long enough to develop trust in anyone, and without trust fear sets in. I'm sure that she has a hard time developing REAL friendships with her teammates, why would she try? She knows that her Dad will just pull her from the program as soon as she begins to care for any of them. So When the fear sets in....can she turn to her teammates or coaches? NO- because she doesn't really know them at all. It's a rotten cycle. I feel extremely bad for the little girl that you described. She'll either end up quitting the sport or continuing on JUST to please her parent and then despise the sport and her parent for making her feel that way! I really don't see a rosy outcome for this situation - if it was 8 gym from the age of 5-8, how many more will it be if she's still competing in another 3yrs? Also - just a guess here, but with the amount of gym hopping going on...I'm betting that the 8yr old not in a school enviroment, but is being homeschooled also. After all that much gym hopping - those gyms can possibly ALL be within a normal commute time plus if the parent is that pushy about advancing I'm sure they are looking at programs taht offer day hours (so dd can train even more hours and be elite), so I'm betting that homeschooling is the only way that they can get her to the gyms in question. Which homeschooling is great, BUT in this case the dd has no school friends either. It sounds like a very sad and lonely life.

By the way Dunno is very astute! If club owners talk and spot the obsessive gym hopper, so do colleges. So the pushy parent is ruining any hopes of his dd getting into a college program (and I'm sure that that is 1 of his goals - you know right after his 'Nastia' goes to the Olympics).

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. that situation that you describe seems a tiny bit crazy!
Anyway, I have 2 DD's on team, one L4 and one L5, and one younger DD in rec. We have been at the same gym for 4 years. All 3 girls started in rec classes. We have "considered" another gym mainly due to intensity of training for younger DD who is in TOPs. However, both DD's who are on team REFUSE to look at other gyms. So, we stay.
As for parents who gym hop. We have had a large number of new optionals this year at our gym. I would say that the new GIRLS are getting along ok, but the PARENTS are having a hard time. Mostly because the new group of parents sometimes can seem a bit clique-ey to the rest of us parents who have been arpund longer. Some of the "new" girls have already left!
Of course every situation is different and it can change quickly!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back