WAG Gym Recommendations in Houston, TX

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CanAmGymMum

Coach
Proud Parent
I have a compulsory level athlete who may be moving to Houston, TX. She's not sure yet about specific location. Can anyone offer some gym recommendations that have a strong JO program?

It really would depend on what part of town they choose. Houston is a HUGE city, land-wise. You can drive an hour at highway speed and never leave town.

That's what I told her. They won't be moving until after the school year finishes. The dad is already down there for work and they will be visiting him over spring break to explore the area and narrow it down some. She was hoping that I could provide her with some general recommendations that she could look into when she is there over spring break.

I agree, Houston is HUGE with horrible traffic. Find out where her dad is working. North, Cypress area, Woodlands? South east, NASA , Clear Lake? South West, Pearland? West, Katy? East, Beaumont? Inner loop, West U, right in the middle of it all. All are separate cities but within commuting area to Houston. The distance between these areas can be two hours plus each way. Next, I would start a "conversation" (send a private message) to Dunno. He knows EVERYONE in the gymworld.

Yes.....knowing what part of town he is working in would give us a better idea of where they might want to live. Downtown is a big spot, of course, but then there is the "Energy Corridor" out west, and there is a lot of commerce in The Woodlands as well. I could recommend our gym, but it wouldn't do any good if they plan on living in Katy, which is an hour from us. However, a lot of people live in this area and work downtown or in The Woodlands. I will say that I think there are pretty good gyms in most areas of Houston.

Don't let us scare you. In spite of the traffic Houston is a terrific city. The people are friendly and families can find any variation of sports, arts and cultural activities. Just in case, we also have some of the best medical facilities in the world. I hope they enjoy their move. If they need or want any additional information abut the city PM me.

What about Bannon's Gymnastix? The home to 2013 World Champion, Simone Biles. Otherwise I would suggest Cypress, Mazeika Elite or All American (less central), they're all good gyms that I have heard of.

Out of curiosity, what is bad about Stars Training Center?

Over there, I would probably look at Cypress Academy of Gymnastics first. We don't compete against them, so I can't speak to that, but I know they have a good reputation.

We will be visiting over the holidays, in the Clear Lake area. Can anyone recommend a gym that my level 5 daughter could workout with for a couple practices?

We will be visiting over the holidays, in the Clear Lake area. Can anyone recommend a gym that my level 5 daughter could workout with for a couple practices?

3 gyms come to mind immediately in Clear Lake. First my daughters old gym Acrosports, but they've undergone a bit of a change since leaving. I think they may still have an compulsary program. They are in Webster. The other two are in Pearland. Reflex and Pearland Elite. There is a smaller gym in Clear Lake, but I can't remember the name.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I agree with you bookworm. Just seeing if there were options just in case she wants to... Plus, it's Texas, land of gymnastics!

3 gyms come to mind immediately in Clear Lake. First my daughters old gym Acrosports, but they've undergone a bit of a change since leaving. I think they may still have an compulsary program. They are in Webster. The other two are in Pearland. Reflex and Pearland Elite. There is a smaller gym in Clear Lake, but I can't remember the name.
I went to Acrosports as a kid and coached there when I was in high school! This was before they moved locations and changed up their program though.

Since this thread has some recent activity, I thought I'd give an update. My athlete has now permanently moved to Texas and is training at Cypress Academy. She is thrilled with her new gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back