Parents Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,

Where are you living in Houston? There are some really good gyms but they are really far apart.

Exactly. It really depends on where in Houston you live. Houston is enormous! We lived in the Kemah/League City area, but the "best" gym is Houston is probably Stars in NW Houston heading towards Katy.

Edit...ok Stars may not be the "best", but if we moved back to Houston it's probably where my daughter would go if we lived within striking distance.

what? then it probably would be best and a good idea to NOT move back to Houston...(as i sigh in disbelief)

Ok, I had to google. I think he's referring to the head coach's treatment of the gymnasts, maybe? Specifically, when I googled his name + gymnastics, the first hit was a YouTube video of him from July 2011.

Ok, I had to google. I think he's referring to the head coach's treatment of the gymnasts, maybe? Specifically, when I googled his name + gymnastics, the first hit was a YouTube video of him from July 2011.

Wow, thanks SGMOM, I'll have to find the video. We left Houston in July of 2011, and so I've only followed the gyms where my daughters former teammates dispersed too. I didn't know...

Just found another unflattering story from 2007 because I got curious...

Last edited:
He is not respected in the gym world. There are many stories, but many you won't find by googling as they are on private web forums.

I have a question for the veterans of this sport. If this type of information isn't readily available on the net, but is available on the private forums, then how is a parent like myself supposed to know? My daughter is a pretty good gymnast and I never want her to have to suffer through someone like that. I come from the world of football/baseball and those coaches can tend to be nuts sometimes. I've read some of the books put out by former gymnasts and I'm appalled by some of what I've heard. Because of this, I keep my distance from my daughters gym and my wife handles the day to day gym stuff. I want to be able to monitor my daughters moods with an objective eye. How do you know about coaches??

Asking on forums like this. If people won't say it in posts, they will say it by PM. There are many, many awesome coaches, but for sure there are plenty who are best avoided for a variet of reasons.

What I know is from many years of involvement in the gym community, pretty much the way anyone learns.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back