Coaches Gymnast mum clueless lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
This was my thought. With the amount of times she used the word "gifted" I was expecting to see high 9's in L2. Her 8.9 score on bars tells me she isn't quite ready for L4/L5 as the OP is saying. I feel like we're being taken for a ride.
@TumbleTwist..... Not a ride......you wanted to be on let me tell you! That comp they had no practice on bars and she nearly slid off. It was a terrible coaching problem (i.e.., not enough coaches presumably to save our gym $$$$ and they sent young inexperienced coaches ) and at age 7 they were basically on their own at a meet because their coach left to go help older level gymnasts! We as parents were in shock and horrified but there was nothing we could do in the stands. We voiced our concern to gym after the fact. She won though basically being her own coach and helping her other level 2s! Even the coaches apologized to us after the meet. Parents stop attacking us and understand so much happens in comps and at gymnastics in general. This was our first comp season and we couldn't believe it. @TumbleTwist Please don't be that nasty gym parent we all avoid like the plague!

I totally get how you feel, because I felt that way a lot when my daughter first started in gymnastics. You see your kid, you see that they have talent, you see that they have skills beyond their current competitive level, and you wonder: why are they being held back? Why aren't they advancing faster? Why aren't these coaches picking up on the things I see?

What I have learned in the interim (my daughter is now training level 9) is that not only do your coaches see what you see, they know best what she is capable of AND (most importantly) they know how to get her to her full potential. Gymnastics is a slow build sport, in which things like form, shaping, mechanics, strength, flexibility, timing and air-sense all play vital roles. And building these skills to a high level takes time... these foundational skills are front-loaded into the early compulsory years so that when the athletes hit optionals and start doing bigger skills, they can do them safely, consistently, and successfully. It's also very typical to compete below your full skill-set, since it is safer and less taxing on the athlete as whole.

You'll hear "trust your coaches" a lot on this site, and in this context, it means: they know what they're doing; even if it looks like things aren't moving or things aren't happening, your daughter is learning the finer points of this sport so that when she hits higher levels and the training wheels come off, she can fly in ways that will blow you away.
Thank you, understood!

It’s hard to know what’s going on at a gym without being local to it, but I see some red flags at your gym based on recent results. You said they are focusing on taking girls level by level, but their scores all the way through states looks like those of gyms that rush girls through compulsories without getting solid skills on certain apparatuses and/or gyms where girls aren’t properly prepared and are falling far more than is typical. I don’t know which it is, but that combined with everything else you’re saying makes me nervous.

Take your time and look around for other options for your daughter. Competing two meets at level 2 is just step 1 (or maybe step 0) of a long compulsory journey, nevermind the rest. DP compulsory progressions exist for a reason when done right. Find a gym that focuses on strength and shapes. Take dance classes outside of gym if it isn’t included in training. Get all of those things down cold before worrying about what level uptraining you think should be happening.

PS You might want to ask to change your username and edit your post to take out the results so you can be a bit more anonymous.
Thank you. Makes sense.

A large walkout is a major 🚩. All signs point to this not being a gym where your daughter can reach her potential. If you need a private coach, then you need a new gym!

Also, getting coaching outside your gym is a major faux pas in the gymnastics world and is grounds to kick a kid off team. I’m skeptical about this “private” coach. Perhaps you’ve found someone on the banned list who is trying to get around The restrictions. Do not leave your child alone with this person, it sounds questionable.
Thank you. All valuable information.

@TumbleTwist..... Not a ride......you wanted to be on let me tell you! That comp they had no practice on bars and she nearly slid off. It was a terrible coaching problem (i.e.., not enough coaches presumably to save our gym $$$$ and they sent young inexperienced coaches ) and at age 7 they were basically on their own at a meet because their coach left to go help older level gymnasts! We as parents were in shock and horrified but there was nothing we could do in the stands. We voiced our concern to gym after the fact. She won though basically being her own coach and helping her other level 2s! Even the coaches apologized to us after the meet. Parents stop attacking us and understand so much happens in comps and at gymnastics in general. This was our first comp season and we couldn't believe it. @TumbleTwist Please don't be that nasty gym parent we all avoid like the plague!
If that was the case, I would have left that gym as soon as her level 2 season was over. I personally would be focusing less on finding a gym that trains elite, and more of finding a gym with a solid compulsory and optionals program. Gymnastics is a long journey. Focus on where she's at in her journey right now. If she truly has elite potential, she will find her way.

I completely agree Elite will find her just like gymnastics found her!!! I will give the gym another chance and hope and pray it doesnt happen again! Certainly an eye opener. The gym is convenient for me given its location. I have heard that gyms often send less coaches to save money and budget but for meets this seems to be a big problem especially for younger levels. The gym answered us by basically saying it is like this sometimes which didnt comfort us by any means.

If that was the case, I would have left that gym as soon as her level 2 season was over. I personally would be focusing less on finding a gym that trains elite, and more of finding a gym with a solid compulsory and optionals program. Gymnastics is a long journey. Focus on where she's at in her journey right now. If she truly has elite potential, she will find her way.

I completely agree Elite will find her just like gymnastics found her!!! I will give the gym another chance and hope and pray it doesnt happen again! Certainly an eye opener. The gym is convenient for me given its location. I have heard that gyms often send less coaches to save money and budget but for meets this seems to be a big problem especially for younger levels. The gym answered us by basically saying it is like this sometimes which didnt comfort us by any means.
I understand the convenience of location, but please don't stay for that reason. How are practices run? Are the compulsory levels being coached by experienced coaches with a lot of focus on good form? Practicing skills for the next levels should definitely be a part of training, but good form on level 3 skiils is more important. Are practices structured so that there isn't a lot of standing around? Have you asked them if they will have enough coaches to send to meets? You have a right to have clear answers to these questions. If they give you vague answers, I would be finding another gym, because chances are you're in for the same experience this year.

I would start looking at other gyms. Even just to drop in and observe how practices are run at different gyms. Start doing some research.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back