WAG Gymnast wrist

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When my dd's wrist start to ache we ice 3 times a day; morning noon and night and usually in a couple of days she's fine. I'm thinking that icing her wrists after practice everyday should be the norm to keep the inflammation down, that and wrist exercises with a pvc pipe filled with sand. Good thing dads a PT!!!

Icing and anti inflammatory meds, yes.

Wrist brace at night until healed

Check with your doctor before starting an anti-inflammatory on a long term basis. There's some (rather contested) evidence that NSAIDs can inhibit bone growth.

Reactions: sce
Check with your doctor before starting an anti-inflammatory on a long term basis. There's some (rather contested) evidence that NSAIDs can inhibit bone growth.
Sorry should of clarified. It was only during her actual injury, not long term and as per her doctor.

This may not make me a lot of friends, but I'd say if your child is having enough wrist pain to require a painkiller after every practice, s/he probably needs imaging and some time off rather than messing around with icing regimens and daily doses of anything. An anti-inflammatory regimen makes sense if you're doing it under a doc's guidance for something like Severs or Osgood Schlatter where there's no worry that a growth plate is fractured or inflamed. Significant wrist pain is another animal and should be monitored closely so that your kid doesn't end up in a cast for six weeks and out of the gym for three months or more.

We went and had an x ray the first time it started to hurt. As long as the pain doesn't get worse or change in anyway. Ice, ice, ice and strengthening exercises.

We have done the Xray and have a confirmed diagnosis. She's off her hands for 6 weeks - saltos on floor and off beam; leaps and turns allowed, plus lots and lots and lots of conditioning. Nothing on bars or vault.

Bc it doesn't hurt when she's not using them, not really doing much in the way of pain killers. But that's why I was wondering about the ice. She's not in any pain so I didn't know if ice would be important or useful.

We have done the Xray and have a confirmed diagnosis. She's off her hands for 6 weeks - saltos on floor and off beam; leaps and turns allowed, plus lots and lots and lots of conditioning. Nothing on bars or vault.

Bc it doesn't hurt when she's not using them, not really doing much in the way of pain killers. But that's why I was wondering about the ice. She's not in any pain so I didn't know if ice would be important or useful.
My voe is for ice.

In the recovery period, try contrast treatment (alternating ice and heat). This was my son's coach's recommendation for his wrists as he was coming back from inflamed growth plates. But do keep tabs on it! He's had significantly less trouble since adding a lot of wrist strengthening exercises, which he began only after full recovery. He's also been very good since he had to take time off about backing off and resting them when they start bothering him.

Ok, not looking for diagnosis, just clarification. My dd had a bad wrist sprain and bone bruise that kept her out about 5 weeks or so in the spring. Fast forward to summer training. Re injured same place, but only a mild sprain. No pain unless pushing back on hand. Doc cleared her after 2 weeks (yesterday). Went to practice last night, not full out, with taped wrist, but had to stop midway through with some pain. Iced it at practice and when she got home. Got a script for PT to get some strengthening exercises, starting next week. Anyway, my question is, no one mentioned "gymnast wrist". Is that different, more of a recurring overuse type thing? Coaches have suggested tape at all times on beam (both injuries were on BWO BHS) and some type of velcro compression strap going forward. Someone suggested a "wrist widget". Tiger paws also maybe for tumbling and vault. She had an injury filled season last year that did a number on her confidence, and now in summer training was kicking *** ! Just want her to be healthy. Guess I am just looking for similar stories and what type of support people have used in similar circumstances. I am hoping the PT will have some suggestions for that as well, he is familiar with gymnasts so hoping so! Thanks!

Ok, not looking for diagnosis, just clarification. My dd had a bad wrist sprain and bone bruise that kept her out about 5 weeks or so in the spring. Fast forward to summer training. Re injured same place, but only a mild sprain. No pain unless pushing back on hand. Doc cleared her after 2 weeks (yesterday). Went to practice last night, not full out, with taped wrist, but had to stop midway through with some pain. Iced it at practice and when she got home. Got a script for PT to get some strengthening exercises, starting next week. Anyway, my question is, no one mentioned "gymnast wrist". Is that different, more of a recurring overuse type thing? Coaches have suggested tape at all times on beam (both injuries were on BWO BHS) and some type of velcro compression strap going forward. Someone suggested a "wrist widget". Tiger paws also maybe for tumbling and vault. She had an injury filled season last year that did a number on her confidence, and now in summer training was kicking *** ! Just want her to be healthy. Guess I am just looking for similar stories and what type of support people have used in similar circumstances. I am hoping the PT will have some suggestions for that as well, he is familiar with gymnasts so hoping so! Thanks!

Gymnast wrist is a specific diagnosis - technical term is distal radial epiphysis. It refers to a widening between growth plate at the end of the radius and the bone itself. It is an overuse thing. If not healed it can lead to a premature closure of the growth plate and therefore an overgrowth of the ulna. A very long explanation for a lifetime of wrist problems. Which is why rest is imperative. Plus ice etc to deal with inflammation.

Whatever the diagnosis, good luck. Just don't be aggressive about going back. Better to rest longer and avoid recurrence.

Mish, when my son was going through this, his orthopedist diagnosed from XRays, but when pain recurred, he ordered an MRI just to rule out problems that XRays would not pick up. Not sure if you are working with an experienced orthopedist, but I'd say after dealing with DS and watching a few of his teammates go through issues, one quite significant, better safe than sorry.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back