WAG Gymnasts versus "normal" children

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I think it depends on the kid, too. We have all kinds of behavior in all of our different circles. I think if kids have something meaningful to engage in and put effort into, (like gymnastics) they will be better organized, more confident, more mature, and more interested in participating the world.

I love the stories about the gymnasts bringing down the king-sized mattress, and lining up by height-order! If there is one thing I notice about most gymnasts, it is a can-do attitude about getting the job done! (especially if there is a physical challenge!)

(-:

I honestly don't think normal kids are more disrespectful, disobedient etc. In my opinion, the difference lies in the amount of food the gymnasts kids eat. It is like feeding a football team. The eating is constant and non stop.

Not my gymnast. She eats like a bird... but very frequently.

My DD had a sleepover with gym and non gym friends mixed. I had them all sleep downstairs in the living room on mattresses. The gym girls got the king size mattress down narrow stairs and through a couple tight doorways in a heartbeat. The non gym girls struggled massively with a twin mattress and eventually gym girls had to come to their rescue! :)
Gym girls get lots of mat moving practice.

My dd eats like a teenage boy and is still so incredibly fit!

Our team girls just had a sleepover. The girls were very high energy but very respectful at the same time.

The main difference I've found is that when I have more than one friend around from dd's school they squabble. Nothing normally I need to intervene with, but there is sulking and taking sides and arguments over what to do. When I have her gym friends round they never squabble - never. They decide things together, they get on well, they work as a team. The whole thing just seems more harmonious.
Oh and they are far less picky and eat a lot!

Of course! Mostly during her offseason. But she is lucky that she has most weekends off (except Sat morning practices). I want to keep her life as normal as possible. She could decide tomorrow that she is done with this gymnastics thing.

There are only 4 girls on DD's L4 team and even though girls come from many cities to our gym, all 4 of the girls on L4 live within a mile of each other. They do EVERYTHING together. If DD were to quit, she would have to look for new friends.

My youngest dd (7) is the opposite, she is good as gold at school and gym and a pain in the backside at home and is high energy, she has flashes of good behaviour at home but that is all.

My oldest dd (10) is well behaved at school and gym and quite well behaved at home, she likes to be quiet and read and write at home, she can get a bit of an attitude from time to time but that might be her age.

My two girls are complete opposites.

When I had my dd 7th birthday party we had all her gym friends(minus the the 15,16 and 17 year old girls) although she really wanted them to come(she's the baby of the gym) and we had a few friends from school one who is her bestie joined together at the hip and the rest who she's friends with but they don't spend lots of time with each other. The gym girls were great at waiting their turns organising themselves and generally getting along and being nice with the school friends trying to get them involved the school friends did not want to join in with the other kids whined about them and were running around like maniacs lol

Needless to say this year we are just having gym friends! Oldest dd is total opposite of gymmie she likes to be at home I have to make her get off the sofa and do any sport or anything that isn't tv/computer related gymmie never stops moving and wanting to be busy doing an activity lives being outside even informed me and the 2 days we get away from gym she can horse ride on one and swim the other as well as have her bestie from school over I make sure this happens once a week so she doesn't feel like she doesn't have a life outside gym we also do tennis on a sat before gym as well as visiting family every week no time for family time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

NEW COMBO for Suni Lee? 🥇

Back