Parents Hair again.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd does theater and they just taught a the hairstyles required, including how to curl hair. There is a way to get curls to stay better!

Stay better, yes. But that doesn't mean they'll stay. Back in college when I did a show choir, I had multiple people from the theatre and dance departments try to get my hair to hold a curl through a two-hour show. They eventually gave up after about a year and a half and bought me a clip-in curled hairpiece that we clipped around my ponytail. It had elastic laces that pulled tight, and that sucker didn't move throughout any of our crazy dance routines.

BTW, not saying you're wrong. I am happy the techniques worked for you. I just know that they didn't work for me. And now I wonder if a hairpiece could stay in through the entirety of a upper level optional floor routine :p:D:rolleyes:

Please tell! My dds gym requires a curled pony. Last year the curl came out very quickly on my ODD even though she has wavy hair. It has grown even longer (to her bum) so will need that curl this year to shorten it!

I will pm you later today. Happy to share, wish I had learned this when I was younger and trying to curl my very straight hair.

@sce can you also PM to me? we also work on trying to keep the curl in the pony. thanks in advance!

I will pm you later today. Happy to share, wish I had learned this when I was younger and trying to curl my very straight hair.

My kid is Asian there it not much that is keeping a curl in that hair.

Side note/update. She competed pony, not cut, we couldn't get an appointment in time. I personally couldn't take her hair whipping around. So its cut or bun next meet. And it kills me to say it but I would almost rather that dang bun.

Side note/update. She competed pony, not cut, we couldn't get an appointment in time. I personally couldn't take her hair whipping around. So its cut or bun next meet. And it kills me to say it but I would almost rather that dang bun.
Bahahaha!!!!! Welcome (back) to my world. Snort.

My dd does theater and they just taught a the hairstyles required, including how to curl hair. There is a way to get curls to stay better! I can explain if you want. Wish I had this information when I was younger.
I had a perm in 8th grade. Didn't get it wet… it was all out in less than 48 hours.
For high school graduation, went to the beautician and got my hair "professionally" curled and hair sprayed. It fell out between the beauty shop and the high school.
My hair won't hold a curl, lol. So now I keep it as short as I like. Nothing to curl, lol.

I had a perm in 8th grade. Didn't get it wet… it was all out in less than 48 hours.
For high school graduation, went to the beautician and got my hair "professionally" curled and hair sprayed. It fell out between the beauty shop and the high school.
My hair won't hold a curl, lol. So now I keep it as short as I like. Nothing to curl, lol.
Yes, there is always the drastic "chop." But seriously, when in doubt, bun it out. hee hee...

Asian hair can hold a curl BUT if you don't have to do it, don't. Both my girls had to have curly ponytails when in compulsories. Got2B gel and Aussie instant freeze hairspray were my friends. I had to apply gel to dry hair, roll it up the night before, and set it with hairspray the next morning right before the meet. My girls have very different hair (one is very thick and one is very thin but both are stick straight). It was a pain but the curls held for the meet (and usually the entire day) on their hair and their straight-haired teammates (several whom were also Asian).

Asian hair can hold a curl BUT if you don't have to do it, don't. Both my girls had to have curly ponytails when in compulsories. Got2B gel and Aussie instant freeze hairspray were my friends. I had to apply gel to dry hair, roll it up the night before, and set it with hairspray the next morning right before the meet. My girls have very different hair (one is very thick and one is very thin but both are stick straight). It was a pain but the curls held for the meet (and usually the entire day) on their hair and their straight-haired teammates (several whom were also Asian).
I swear I would of bought a hair piece if I had to do that. She wouldn't stand for all that for a second. :D

The length of my dd hair - her coach insists on a bun.
He said if she wants to cut it about 6 inches then she can pony it but no looping through. He doesn't like the look of a messy bun - cause it always starts nice and then ends up a mess.

Post a pic of her hair when you decide....

The very specific requirements (beyond neat and not in the way) makes me nuts. Not every hair type lends it self to a particular type of hair or kid. And it can even be culturally insensitive.

I understand it somewhat for a dance troupe for a specific number as the hair style becomes part of the costume. But not in gymnastics. They compete individually.

The very specific requirements (beyond neat and not in the way) makes me nuts. Not every hair type lends it self to a particular type of hair or kid. And it can even be culturally insensitive.

I understand it somewhat for a dance troupe for a specific number as the hair style becomes part of the costume. But not in gymnastics. They compete individually.

I agree with this. Dd's gym requires a high ponytail with tight curls. It requires the overnight rolling along with copious amounts of a specific hair gel and hair spray. It works for my dd's hair type (although it is a pain for sure!), but she has some teammates that really struggled with this because of their dd's hair type. I do like the look of all the teammates having the same or similar hairstyle, but I think there should be some flexibility (and I really don't care for the high curly ponytail!).

(and I really don't care for the high curly ponytail!).

Me either, but we are not a girly girly house. Not her or I. Not into big bow or a ton of ribbons either. I find it distracts from the person and their talents. But I get it that is me and mine.

Reactions: SMH
My dd does theater and they just taught a the hairstyles required, including how to curl hair. There is a way to get curls to stay better! I can explain if you want. Wish I had this information when I was younger.

Yes, explain! Is it using spray gel so they get hard?

Totally agree. The different types/lengths of hair on our team would make having a uniform style difficult. We have no rules beyond needing hair to be neat, with no wispy pieces sticking out. They do ask if the kid has super long hair that they fold over or bun their hair so it's not in their way. Then everyone is free to do whatever style is easiest/most functional for them.

@sce I'd love to know the trick, too. Curls never stay in DD's hair (though we have had recent luck with a wave iron).

Also, when DD used to do a pony when she had long, long hair, I french braided the front into the pony, then simply braided the pony. It worked.

Some girls on DD's team have experimented with 'messy buns' a la college girls, but I have no idea how in the world one would stay in my DD's hair.

These days DD wears a bun crafted with a Topsy Tail... I use lots of gel in the process, but it stays in without any pins, etc... even overnight. She loves it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back