WAG Half on half off vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
For a half on half off vault, what way do you twist? If I do a right round off (for the half on part) would I twist left or right after the block (for the half off)?

If you think about where your stomach faces first on the half on, when you do the half off, it should face the opposite way

If you look in this video I found, her back faces the camera first, and then on the half off, her stomach faces the camera.

1721649733443.png

1721649790675.png

(Video and picture credits: MoosicIsMyLife98)

Thanks! This is what I thought and was originally training, but my coach disagrees and said that if you have a right half on you should be twisting right (so stomach will face the same way both times)

I just watched a video of my gymnast doing hers. She did it the same way as the video.

I don't know the US codes, but at least according to the code of points (international/elite), both ways are fine. However, I've had coaches who think you have to turn the half out in the other direction than the half in.

From what I've learned with he 1/4 on 3/4 off lefties need to twist to the right. It you want to twist to the left you have to the get to a full 1/2 on or it starts at a lower value

From what I've learned with he 1/4 on 3/4 off lefties need to twist to the right. It you want to twist to the left you have to the get to a full 1/2 on or it starts at a lower value
I suspect that's because the 1/4 on 3/4 off is meant as a Tsukahara timer. (It's not in the international/elite code of points so I don't know about it, our country uses FIG code at all levels.) I expect they count it as a tsukahara group vault?
The 1/2 on 1/2 off is listed in the handspring group, and since it's specifically listed as 1/2 on 1/2 off, it'll have to be an entire half turn on. The exact text in the code of points is:
Handspring fwd with ½ turn (180°) on – ½ turn (180°) off (in either direction)

But yeah, interesting think you've brought up.

(Credits: Saving Tenths on YT)

time stamps: 0:24-0:54

I found this video today, it explains that a tsuk switches directions in twists, while a kaz continues in the same twisting direction (this video is meant for flipping and twisting, but it should stay the same for just twisting)

I think, from what I have seen, that the 1/4 on-3/4 off just has to turn the same way for both parts.
Unlike the 1/2-1/2 which can be done tusk or kaz style, the 1/4-3/4 needs to be done kaz style or you will be facing the wrong way.

My coaches would call the vault I was training a 1/2 on 1/2 off but it was really more like a 1/4 on 3/4 off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back