WAG Handstand help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

^^^ Yes, because that's how you are supposed to do it in the first place.

I've tried that .. But you know that's something they never taught., it was always kick up into the handstand . My son always says. " you know this is harder than it looks mom" lol

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

Reactions: sce
Make sure the shoulders are in the ears from the beginning and during the HS. This engages particular shoulder musculature to support in the HS.

Stop at 30s, do multiple repetitions.

I especially like the one where he lays down on his stomach. This another that I would train for time. Point toes, arms reach, squeeze cheeks, tuck in ribs and hold. There should be space from the belly button to the floor.

When they stop squeezing their cheeks, poke'm and remind them. Not hard or anything but they need to be mindful of ALWAYS squeezing. Except when they don't have to squeeze (tucking or piking comes to mind).

Umm...that video is a handstand tutorial? Why is a poorly executed handstand being demonstrated in the thumbnail? I very much hope that is not supposed to be an example of a correct one!

you have to do this all the the time to get it! Handstand is the most important skill in gymnastics, you do it on every piece! If you don't do it correctly then it will effect a lot of gymnastics later down the line!:)

THIS video is more like it. I pretty much agree with just about everything contained. A few minor things I may personally do differently, but the main points in this are right on!

Helpful drill to try:
While you're in your handstand have someone try to pull your toes up to the ceiling. This will remind you to push tall whenever you're in a handstand position. Handstands are easier when you are pushed tall and are squeezing every little muscle in your body!

Hopefully this helped!

~Lauren

What is her posture like when she is standing upright? If she can't keep the arch under control standing on her feet, don't expect it to happen upside down. I train the handstand position when they are standing on their feet (with arms over their head, eyes looking at their wrists, without tipping their head back). The belly button is pulled in to the spine with the ribs and hips flat. I also have them hang from the high bar in the same position. When they can do this upright, they can then work on doing it upside down. If they can't do this upright, they need some targeted work on the problem areas (ie: loosen up tight hip flexors, etc.).

As someone just starting out this thread is great! Thank you so much for the tips! What I love is that not only one person has the same issue and we all come together to help that person and by doing so we help others who are just starting out ! Awesome :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back