Parents Handstand?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Seagull00

Proud Parent
Allison has been practicing her handstand relentlessly since her first lesson on Friday. (L1) she's now done it 5-6 times off of the wall and about a hundred up against the wall. She's pretty much spending all her time upside down. Should I be encouraging her in continuing to try it away from the door or having her continue using the door as a stabilizing point until she's had more lessons? Her next lesson is Friday evening.

Against the wall is fine....as long as she's engaging her core and squeezing her (straight) legs together to learn to hold herself up.

Noah is still working on his ., we bought a cheese mat for him off amazon .. It helped a lot ! But he practices constantly lol

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

It's that triangle mat they use at proactive. We just got one cause they use it a lot to practice handstands .. That way he's not doing it against the wall . He uses it to do rolls to , but that's about it .

Ok, so it could be helpful later but not necessary right now? I'm trying to budget money appropriately, she's only doing one class this session but next session ( in 9 weeks) she'll be taking two classes.

Yeah , and you don't really need one at all really . We bought it along with a cartwheel mat for him to practice. We are beginners , and he goes 2x a week now for an hour .

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1394995415.771603.jpg

Yeah and I realized after I got this that the mat is to small but I mean it still works lol

Lol a very crooked handstand

Get the framed piece off the wall, or you may end up with a quick trip to the dentist, e-room, or doc's office.

Allison has been practicing her handstand relentlessly since her first lesson on Friday. (L1) she's now done it 5-6 times off of the wall and about a hundred up against the wall. She's pretty much spending all her time upside down. Should I be encouraging her in continuing to try it away from the door or having her continue using the door as a stabilizing point until she's had more lessons? Her next lesson is Friday evening.

Anything upside down that's done in a safe area and with attention to maintaining correct posture is great, as long as she asks to do it. The correct posture while upside down is very similar to good posture while standing or walking. Done to gymnastics standards there's a slight change in the shape through their ribs/thoracic spine and lumbar spine. The best description is to imagine you're standing in a large tube that is big enough to allow half an inch of front and back movement. While standing try to keep your forehead, shoulders and collar bone pressed against the tube wall in front of you, your lower back and top of your buttocks against the tube wall behind you, and your thighs and ankles pressed against the front of the tube.

Now imagine trying to bend a bit deeper in an effort to break the tube, and when you break it your body bends no further into the "tube posture."

Put your child into that approximate posture. While holding the top of her head to keep it from moving and then try to press her middle out of the position with her trying to hold the shape. Press in all directions and remind her to feel the muscles she uses to hold the shape, and to feel those muscles working like that while she's moving into and holding the handstand.

Use the same concept to show her how to keep her shoulders stable with her arms over her head and her hands in the same vertical line as her forehead.

This works well with kids 5-6 years and older.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1394999622.007496.jpg
    ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1394999622.007496.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back