Parents Have other parents heard of this

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Midwestmommy

Proud Parent
A friend of my daughter's (who goes to a different gym) is in a new special training group this year. She said they have been told they are out of the group if they miss three or more practices in a season. This includes sick days, so they go when they are sick.

So if these kids have influenza or strep they go anyway if they can stand and breath, I guess.

And spread their germs all over the equipment and share with all of the rec girls and other team girls. I understand a strict attendance policy. But to have kids and parents feel they have to send their kid when they are sick, especially if some ibuprofen can get the fever down below 100...?

I find this offocial "policy" really socially irresponsible and frankly, stupid. Do they give the other kids a discount for having to "play" in their germs? We are having the worst year for strep in the history of our school district, and it's been going around our gym all winter. No wonder we can't get rid of it, when people in positions of authority with kids don't understand the reality of contagious bacteria and viruses. If your kid has strep and just got on antibiotics 10 hours ago, do society a favor and keep them the heck home.

That seems really crazy, not to mention dangerous. Our kids stay home when they're sick, both of the germ factor and also because being on a balance beam, or on bars, or tumbling upside down when you have a fever or an ear infection or feel nauseous is likely to get a kid hurt.

I'm sure that will work out really well for the gym when half the team comes down with strep. Seems like the gym is trying to crack down on kids missing for other reasons and just saying they're sick, but there are more effective ways of doing that. Not to mention, if kids are lying about illness to get out of practice, the gym has bigger issues.

This seems like an irresponsible policy. I know that some kids will miss for teh sniffles, etc, and that might be overkill. But fevers, or diagnosed spreadable illnesses should stay home. Fevers spread. kids get sick. And the gym is just an incubator for illness!

I like attendance policies and all, but one that strict is bound to backfire!

That is crazy. I could see requiring a doctors note if you miss so many days in a row or have missed a lot of days (7+? not for vacations) already.

On the flip side, our team handbook says attendance of such and such percent is required, but it is never enforced because they find a way for those girls to make it up even if make ups are not normally allowed. Within my daughters level, one group comes 4 days and one group comes 5 (they have an upgrade day). Two of the girls who do not come the extra day (there are maybe 4) are allowed to make up on that extra day if they miss one of their other practices. Those two slots are full every week. That is 8 absences every month for four girls. Seems a little excessive to me and the girls who come five days do not get to make up at all. Thankfully my daughter had been very healthy this season and has not missed a single practice.

Not to mention dangerous for the sick kid to come and try potentially dangerous skills if they are weak or feverish. Just asking for an accident or injury. Stupid.

A friend of my daughter's (who goes to a different gym) is in a new special training group this year. She said they have been told they are out of the group if they miss three or more practices in a season. This includes sick days, so they go when they are sick.

So if these kids have influenza or strep they go anyway if they can stand and breath, I guess.

And spread their germs all over the equipment and share with all of the rec girls and other team girls. I understand a strict attendance policy. But to have kids and parents feel they have to send their kid when they are sick, especially if some ibuprofen can get the fever down below 100...?

I find this offocial "policy" really socially irresponsible and frankly, stupid. Do they give the other kids a discount for having to "play" in their germs? We are having the worst year for strep in the history of our school district, and it's been going around our gym all winter. No wonder we can't get rid of it, when people in positions of authority with kids don't understand the reality of contagious bacteria and viruses. If your kid has strep and just got on antibiotics 10 hours ago, do society a favor and keep them the heck home.

no...that would be STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back