MAG Head Case?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My ds has an issue that is now starting to really bother him. For level 5 and now all of level 6 he has had trouble with tumbling on his own gym floor, but not on every other gym floor he has competed on. He says that his is soft but not bouncy at all. In practice he can barely do front and backhand springs, and never a bhs back tuck.
At all of his meets he is able to do all of the skills fine and gets respectable scores. He is now really frustrated and worried that he will never be able to get any better he can't figure out how to get better on his own floor.
I just keep telling him to ask his coach, which isn't helping much. He has done some privates but they never work on floor, and I don't feel I should ask his coach to work floor, because I know it's up to him to know what ds needs in gymnastics.
Anyone else have this problem? Is it all in his head? No one on his team seems to have an issue with our gym floor but him.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

All in his head for sure. He will eventually overrcome it but it will take time. You should talk to his coach and let the coach know how your son feels as the kids don't always convay the whole message. This way you know the coach really knows how your son feels. Also if you are paying for a private you have the right to ask for them to work on anything don't just leave it up to the coach to choose. Privates are suppose to be for specific items and it can be something YOU choose for him to work on.

Did your Son have a bad fall or injury on the floor? Sometimes that makes the fear factor at a specific location too.

All in his head for sure. He will eventually overrcome it but it will take time. You should talk to his coach and let the coach know how your son feels as the kids don't always convay the whole message. This way you know the coach really knows how your son feels. Also if you are paying for a private you have the right to ask for them to work on anything don't just leave it up to the coach to choose. Privates are suppose to be for specific items and it can be something YOU choose for him to work on.

Did your Son have a bad fall or injury on the floor? Sometimes that makes the fear factor at a specific location too.

Thank you, that is what I suspected was the problem, but I never connected it to an injury. That makes a lot of sense! He broke his elbow the summer before his level 5 season, and hurt his foot the summer before level 6 season, which kept him from practicing floor, vault and landings for almost 3 months. We weren't even sure he would compete floor this season, but with physical therapy he has been able to.
I guess that was just too obvious for me to see:). Thank you!

I think things like that stay with them more than we think they do. D is still not doing good handstands on p's because a teammate fell in a meet.

As for privates, our coach always asks what Derek wants to work on. D usually has an idea, but then gives it over to coach and they figure out waht he needs. I wouldn't be worried about asking for something specific.

I'll have to ask D about the floor there! LOL!

Yes, Skschlag, please do ask him. It would be interesting to hear what he thinks about it. It is kind of weird, because he was the 1st on his level team at level 4 to do back handsprings in competition, and now he's the worst at them. I feel bad for him. Maybe we'll see about talking to the sports psychologist that some kids from our gym have used.

Now...this is coming from D and a teammate....who both admitted that they can't fully remember, but D said he seemed to think that it was a bit less springy than other floors. He said he didn't have any trouble on it, so he cant remember clearly.

Some floors are actually less springy. I went on holidays to another state and attended a an adult class their. Their floor felt rock hard and suddenly i could barely tumble. By the end of the class i had started getting used to it but the floor was drastically different to the one at my gym.

Now...this is coming from D and a teammate....who both admitted that they can't fully remember, but D said he seemed to think that it was a bit less springy than other floors. He said he didn't have any trouble on it, so he cant remember clearly.
Thanks for asking him! Maybe he's not totally crazy:p.

Hey--how did he do at the meet last weekend?

Really well, actually! He got 2nd on pommel with a 15.2, 7th all around which was pretty good for his age category, and a couple of other placements I can't remember. He was able to do all of his skills on that floor just fine, so it's looking promising for State! It was not our day on high bar, though. Chase did great, but a few of our best boys fell off on their giants, which has never happened this season. We still got 2nd as a team to you know who, but that's to be expected;).
How did D do?

Some floors are actually less springy. I went on holidays to another state and attended a an adult class their. Their floor felt rock hard and suddenly i could barely tumble. By the end of the class i had started getting used to it but the floor was drastically different to the one at my gym.

Yes, I agree they can be different, but you'd think being his own floor for the past 3 years, he'd be able to use it by now. At our last meet his coach told him that the floor there was twice as springy as ours. I'm thinking he said that to psych him up to expect to be able to do his skills. It worked. Power of suggestion, maybe. Or, maybe it really was that springy. Wish I could know for sure!

Nice!!!!
D did really well. he took 1st on floor, pommel, rings, vault, and pbars, 2nd on HB and 1st AA. Team took 2nd to you know who ;) LOL! Must be a theme! States will be tougher though. he's got a couple of kiddos from you know who out to beat him :)

Nice!!!!
D did really well. he took 1st on floor, pommel, rings, vault, and pbars, 2nd on HB and 1st AA. Team took 2nd to you know who ;) LOL! Must be a theme! States will be tougher though. he's got a couple of kiddos from you know who out to beat him :)

That is wonderful! Good luck to him this weekend:)

Pattymello, it turns out you were right! It was not in his head, it was in his hurdle and round-off! Ds came up to the desk at the gym last week while I was working and said "Mom, I learned a new way to hurdle and now I have so much more power!" He's been doing sooo much better on floor since then. I guess the other springier floors made up for his poor hurdling skills :rolleyes:.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back