head lice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is going to sound weird, but I am wondering the opinions on people on this. Have you ever encountered an issue with head lice during gymnastics? At international gymnastics camp they don't check us for lice. Is it possible to get it from sharing the mats and floor that many people have put their heads on? Do you think that if a gymnast has lice, it's necessary to tell the gym about it? Do you think that the gym should be responsible for checking gymnast's heads if there's a breakout? I am really wondering what people think of this. Thanks!

I think it is the gym's responsibility to maintain a clean and safe environment and to notify all parents in case of any kind of safety or health issue at the gym, but I don't believe checking each person is their job. Where are the parents?

I know in school, they would always notify our parents if someone had it. But in school, you have to have a written note saying why you are absent, so the school knows exactly why you weren't there. I guess that is not the case with gym.

I would say that if the gym knows about it, they should let the other parents know, and that the gymnast with the lice, her parents should notify the gym. But just because they should do it doesn't mean it always happens.

Lice won't spread from the mats but it does spread from close contact. So at school it spreads more among younger children as they tend to cuddle and get really close to each other as they play. The lice have to move head to head. So at gym girls are quite physical and cuddly so there is a chance of passing them on. If they keep their hair tied tight - braids are good and dont cuddle they will be fine.

While the chance of spread is small as a parent I would want to know if another gymnast on my DD team had head lice. I think it is just courtesy.

We got head lice a number of years ago from a family who had it 3 times in 2 months never told anyone (not at a gym). It cost us lots of money and a ton of work to get things cleaned up the correct way. Plus haircuts and multi times of head checks i now u nderstand fully the term picking nits. LOL

last year one gymnast not on my Dd's level got headf lice the mom told everyone and all girls had a preventive shampoo LOL because she told them no one else got it.

Sorry for the long message this post just brought back not so pleasant memories.

This is going to sound weird, but I am wondering the opinions on people on this. Have you ever encountered an issue with head lice during gymnastics? At international gymnastics camp they don't check us for lice. Is it possible to get it from sharing the mats and floor that many people have put their heads on? Do you think that if a gymnast has lice, it's necessary to tell the gym about it? Do you think that the gym should be responsible for checking gymnast's heads if there's a breakout? I am really wondering what people think of this. Thanks!

Head lice is one of those thing you must report to the gym/school etc if your child has it, at least in my state I know its required. Then there is a few days of treatment before they can go back with a DR's note. The gym must post a notice that there has been a report of Lice. My DD had lice about 2 years ago. caught it from the girl accross the street. With hair down to her waist it was a big job to shampoo with the special shampoo needed 3 bottles to treat once and hours with the lice comb. That was when I cut her hair to shoulder length to make it easier for me.

Lice are passed from person to person by direct contact with the hair of an infested person. They can also be passed through brushes, combs, and hats. There is also a possibility of spreading head lice via a pillow, headrest or similar items. So it's not impossible if some one with lice is on the floor and someone comes and lies there right after that they could get lice but usually lice don't want to leave the warm body they are inhabiting.

Head lice do not jump or fly and generally cannot survive longer than 24 hours off the host.

We treated everyone in the house just incase and took her pillow and stuffed animals etc into a plastic bag for 2 weeks to make sure there were no eggs left on her items. Everything that could be washed got washed. And we let every group of people we knew she had come in contact with know so they could treat just in case.

the girl accross the street had it for a good 2 weeks and was infested but the parents were ashamed to let any one know and my DD ended up get it from them when she did a sleep over. I couldn't believe they would allow my DD to sleep over knowing they had a lice outbreak. They should have let me know. Needless to say my DD isn't allowed to sleep over there any more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back