Hello everyone

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Another new member here who has finally stopped lurking and decided to register and start posting. I spend way too much time researching everything (particularly if it involves my kids) and came across this website about 6 months ago. I look forward to learning from the varied experience that all of you provide and am happy to contribute from my limited exposure to the sport.

I'm a Dad of an 8 year old DD training to compete level 6 this Fall. She is also training for TOPs, but won't test until next year due to a late start. I'm very proud of my daughter's accomplishments in gymnastics, but also very nervous about the dangers inherent in the progressively more difficult skills she'll soon have to master as she advances to the optional levels (assuming of course, that she gets through level 6). I guess that like every other parent, I'll just grin and bear it and enjoy the ride. She loves the sport and I, in turn, love it because she does. Thanks everyone for "listening".

Hello and welcome!!! You will find this site to be very useful and quite entertaining as well!! I have learned a great deal from the CB as my dd was a late starter to gymnastics at the ripe old age of 9. She is now 11 and has been doing gymnastics for 2 years. She is currently a Level A/B (equivelant to USAG Level 5/6). She does the Mason Dixon League, which is local to Maryland/Virginia area.

Thank you both for the welcome.

MdGymMom01 - We just moved from Maryland to Nebraska this time last year. I'm really familiar with the MD league as several girls from DD's old team competed both MD and USAG. I know the girls really enjoyed MD because it gave them a break from USAG compulsories and gave them a chance to do optional type routines. We moved before DD had the opportunity to try it for herself though.

As far as your daughter being a late starter at the age of 9, I'm no expert, but still seems pretty young to me. Plus, she was probably just old enough to know for sure what she was getting herself into. :)

Thank you both for the welcome.

MdGymMom01 - We just moved from Maryland to Nebraska this time last year. I'm really familiar with the MD league as several girls from DD's old team competed both MD and USAG. I know the girls really enjoyed MD because it gave them a break from USAG compulsories and gave them a chance to do optional type routines. We moved before DD had the opportunity to try it for herself though.

As far as your daughter being a late starter at the age of 9, I'm no expert, but still seems pretty young to me. Plus, she was probably just old enough to know for sure what she was getting herself into. :)

Dani loves the MDL!! She did all star cheerleading from ages 6-9 and just wanted to try something new which led us to gymnastics. I think with her starting a bit later and having the cheer experience, it helped her with the whole competition and showmanship aspect of gymnastics. The MDL is definitely growing in numbers--it had close to 400 gymnasts this past year!

So, how are you guys liking Nebraska? Is it a lot different than Md?

Dani loves the MDL!! She did all star cheerleading from ages 6-9 and just wanted to try something new which led us to gymnastics. I think with her starting a bit later and having the cheer experience, it helped her with the whole competition and showmanship aspect of gymnastics. The MDL is definitely growing in numbers--it had close to 400 gymnasts this past year!

So, how are you guys liking Nebraska? Is it a lot different than Md?
That's great that Dani found a good option in Mason Dixon. I'm sure that her cheer experience really does help with the showmanship. That's something that my DD could use a little more of, just a confidence issue with her. I think it will get better as she matures. From what I saw of the MDL meets, I can see why its numbers are growing. The girls just seemed to have a lot of fun with it.

We really like Nebraska, it's our second time here and we'll probably end up staying here and calling it home (at least until all of the kids are out of school). It's much different from Md. We enjoyed everything that Md had to offer, but for this stage in our lives, I think that Ne is a good fit (great public school system, low cost of living, more family-oriented communities, etc.). As far as gymnastics goes though, I think that Maryland wins hands down just by sheer number of options available for quality instruction. Our DD had an awesome Coach and teammates at her Md gym and we still miss them.

NE Dad -

Welcome Aboard!

As you probably already know, buckle your seat belt and hang on for the wild ride thru the world of gymnastics.

My DD is a true Lvl 7 this year (although training lvl 8 skills), having done a combo 6/7 year last year. The optional level is certainly a different experience than the compulsory world. I too like to (over)analyze things and am still scratching my head over some of the very strange rules at the optional level.

You have found a very good resource here in the Bucket and definitely don't be afraid to ask a question.

Good Luck to your dd and your family.

Welcome to CB and to Nebraska! I live in Omaha, so I'm not sure if you even live close to around here. Sounds like your dd is doing great at gymnastics, and you must be proud! Congrats!

Another welcome from another dad. L6 is where the difficult skills (some calls it the real fun) begin. If your daughter is doing TOPS, her L6 skills are likely to be very closed to L7 before long and I would suspect she will be moving to optionals WAY before she hits 10yo. Gymnastics (especially at that level) is a sport for the very young.

Welcome to CB and to Nebraska! I live in Omaha, so I'm not sure if you even live close to around here. Sounds like your dd is doing great at gymnastics, and you must be proud! Congrats!
Thanks for the welcome. We live in Omaha also (I was wondering if there were any other fellow Nebraskans on CB). Yes, we are very proud of dd. She has had her share of issues adjusting to the move to Nebraska, but I think we've finally found a really good home for her gymnatics-wise.

Another welcome from another dad. L6 is where the difficult skills (some calls it the real fun) begin. If your daughter is doing TOPS, her L6 skills are likely to be very closed to L7 before long and I would suspect she will be moving to optionals WAY before she hits 10yo. Gymnastics (especially at that level) is a sport for the very young.
Thanks NotAMom. DD would just assume skip L6 and go straight to L7 if she had a choice (and the skills) so that "I can have my own routines!" I think that another year of skill development in the compulsory levels will do her a lot of good though.

Each program has its own objectives. Some will score them right through L6 to get to L7. Others will take their time to make sure they build a good foundation before they are moved to optionals. Sounds like your daughter is training TOPS so it's likely she'll take the former path.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back