WAG Help with guilt?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I'm a level 7 and we had a meet last weekend. There is a little girl and she has problems with her backhand spring on floor and connecting it with her round off. I was cheering for her and I didn't know cheering messed her up and she ended up not doing her backhand spring and she cried. The next day at gym, I heard my coach taking to another coach and she said "yeah and then some idiot said 'come on Alex!' And then she didn't do her backhand spring." I know it's not my fault that she messed up, but I feel so guilty because she never did anything to me and I feel bad and upset. Any comments to make me feel better?

So I'm a level 7 and we had a meet last weekend. There is a little girl and she has problems with her backhand spring on floor and connecting it with her round off. I was cheering for her and I didn't know cheering messed her up and she ended up not doing her backhand spring and she cried. The next day at gym, I heard my coach taking to another coach and she said "yeah and then some idiot said 'come on Alex!' And then she didn't do her backhand spring." I know it's not my fault that she messed up, but I feel so guilty because she never did anything to me and I feel bad and upset. Any comments to make me feel better?

This is obviously not your fault and I see that you understand that this is not your fault. If knowing that it's not your fault hasn't helped, try apologizing. It might help you feel better. A person saying, "Come on Alex!" has done nothing wrong if they have not been told that they shouldn't say that. The coach who said that most likely knows this but people tend to pass blame without thinking.

Firstly, hugs. You didn't realise and you were trying to support your team-mate. It's a bit unfair for the coach to make that comment. Most people would expect to cheer on a team-mate at a competition.

It's her problem and her fault. She should concentrate on the skill instead of waiting for something to happen that may keep her from doing the skill. As for the coach who called you an idiot.... Maybe concentrating on coaching would solve two problems in one swipe.

My daughter used to hate having her name screamed before or during her competing. "I" knew that, but that doesn't mean everyone else did. We would always have some higher level girls at our hosted meet who cheered for EVERYONE. The first time they screamed her name, I will tell you, I cringed!!! She ended up doing okay anyway, BUT, I never once thought to call those girls idiots. I thought it was great that a level 7 was cheering for a level 2! I don't think you did anything wrong. But I can also imagine how you feel.

If it's still eating at you, I'd say to the coach that you heard say that "OhmiGosh! I am so sorry, that was me that cheered for her! I didn't know it would mess her up!". Hopefully, if this coach has any manners at all, she will put you at ease and say "Oh! it's okay, no, you didn't realize it." She may then follow it up with "Little Suzy gets too nervous to be cheered for", and that will be her way of telling you "please don't do it again" LOL.
If the comments here have helped you get past it, then let it go :)

Gyms and meets have tons of distractions and if you plan on being a gymnast you need to learn to deal. That said we cheer on the girls on our team but not once a routine starts, just before and after.

So you both perhaps learned something, now if only the coach would.

That's going to have to be something she has to deal with. If cheering bothers her, then gymnastics is going to be really hard. I know my DD's first meet ever, one of the parents complained that her daughter messed up vault because "somebody was yelling her name" and she was told, it's the nature of the sport. There are so many noises and so much cheering and just so much going on at meets, it's just something she's going to have to figure out. Now, the coach that said "and then some idiot yelled", must be crazy since all coaches should know meets and gyms,in general, are not quiet places. So, don't feel bad!!!

thats so not your fault. i actually cant belive that a coach would comment like that. if this girl cant handle cheering. than straightforward she cant handle gymnastics

As the parent of the youngest girl on the team, I say THANK YOU! My DDs older teammates are amazing too, and I know this child's parents would know your intentions were kind and good. Now you know what this particular kid needs for next time! But I'd rather you err on the side of doing something than nothing :)

I think it's really nice that you were trying to be helpful and supportive. I know my beginner gymmie really looks up to the higher-level girls, and it means a lot to her when they cheer her on. Don't feel bad about trying to be helpful.

I have a video from my dds first ever Comp, and my most favourite thing about it was all her teammates and coach cheering her on during a roll thing (sorry, no idea what it's called lol. Sort of like a foward roll but straddle legs off the floor). It was so lovely, made me tear up. I love the support they all have for one another, it's my most favourite thing about gymnastics.

You didn't do anything wrong.

Don't feel to bad! You didn't know and we're just trying to be nice to this young girl.

yep. it's vestibular. has nothing to do with you. oh...and dumb coach....and that's not your fault either. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back