WAG Here we go again, another gym change - coaches opinion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jennemmy

Proud Parent
So we have been in tears at our house over the last weekend. My husband is being considered for 2 promotions. That part is great. The sad part is that we would have to move yet again. My daughter has been at 3 gyms, each has been long distance move. In some ways the gymnastics is the sure thing. She can walk into a building full of strange girls and ideally stand in line with the other girls in her level and life will fall back in place. She loves her gym now. She honestly has loved all her gyms and coaches. So it will be hard to say goodbye but I think things will turn out ok. Now that she is getting older I start to worry about how this will look on her "resume". She isn't truly gym-hopping, she is just packing up and following her family to her dad's new job. But 3 gyms in the last 5 years. And the chance for 1 or 2 more if she sticks with it thru high school might raise a red flag to recruiters. And another thought I have had is gyms are filling up. Some of the gyms in the towns have waiting lists. Will the coaches want to take on a 7th grade, level 9 if s/he can't be sure of their foundational training? We have thought about my husband moving on his own but neither location is close so we would see very little of him. And even less when you take gymnastics into account. I'd love to hear what coaches think about a new girl moving into town or if any parents have had to do something similar during their child's gym career?

As a 7th grade level 9 she is doing great! Please don't keep your family apart for gymnastics. You're right to encourage her to keep up with gym with each move. It gives her a place to shine in each new city. Gymnasts share a culture and a language, as she moves up to the bigger competitions she may have a chance to see former coaches and teammates again. Good luck on your move and congratulations on your husband's promotions.

As for tryouts, most coaches will understand when you explain that the moves are for you and not her. They will evaluate her skills and will be able to see her foundation.

7th grade level 9, perfect! are you coming to southern Cali by any chance! ;)

Yeah some families have to move around (military, etc), gyms are understanding of that and sad to see you go. And will welcome you back if you are ever in town again, even for visits/holidays, go back and say hi, they will let her work out.

I doubt you'll find it hard to get her placed in a gym if she's competed comfortably as a level 9, or done well enough at level 8 to make the move to L9 a reasonable choice. That's not saying she can walk into a top tier JO program and expect a spot, nor programs that want to concentrate on kids they can count on being there for the long term. It may seem a selfish policy for a club to have in place, but it's not always a policy designed to keep short term gymnasts off the team. I think it's likely that many clubs want to groom their L9 kids to represent their program at L10, and there are only so many spots to give to kids who are already there. It would also seem unfair to withhold a spot form a home grown kid in favor of a migratory gymnast.

Don't worry about the moves...any recruiter will notice that she's not moved gyms that are close to each other and that the change was obviously due to a family move. Don't sweat that part at all. And I think many gyms would be quite pleased to have a 7th grade L9 walk through their doors. Congrats to your hubby and good luck with whatever turns out.

I'm with IWC, would be happy to work with her, and even though it's through no fault of her own, but I've got to stay loyal to the girls that have been loyal to me. It wouldn't be fair to girls that were even only 7's or 8's to not put them in the top group because someone from out of town came in. So if a club has a spot, I know they would love to have her. If they throw one of their own under the bus for her, well that says something too. Good luck to you and the whole family. :)

How many gyms really have waiting lists at level 9 and 10? I just don't think it's that common. Sure, there are a few , especially those who have gained fame by having Olympians or such and very small JO development programs (I.e. Chows) but overall I think you'll have no problem finding a gym that will train a level 9. And if they think of helping a kid who has moved through no fault of their own as disloyal, I would find that odd. I think there are very few situations that would result in cuts having to be made, or maybe all the gyms in my state are just weird.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. IWC and GymSanity nailed one of my concerns too. The coach / athlete relationship certainly diminishes when you haven't been at a gym for the long haul. Her original coach still cheers for each new skill. We never move thinking we are just here for a few years. I thought for sure this would be our last and my kids would graduate HS here. I think the decision to say yes to the promotion is based on the understanding that we really, really don't want to be transferred again. Really! :) I'm sure I will be on here looking for advice about which gyms to visit once the location gets locked down.

I tend to agree with Gymdog and was thinking the same thing...how many gyms really have waiting lists for the upper levels? I think if a gym is "holding a spot for one of their own level 7 or 8s" coming up the pike as IWC suggests then move on, because you'll never be comfortable there always being "the new girl"(if they even take you) ....and i would find it hard to beloieve that a gym could not accomodate one more gymnast due to a relocation.

We have been in a few gyms and there have always been miltary kids and kids whose dads (mostly) got better job opportunities and moved TO our area and FROM our area so it happens and recruiters know this so don't be worried about that part of it.

I"m on the side of really don't worry. A good, talented gymnast who is eager to work, relatively young and at a high level? Most gyms I know would accommodate her and welcome her. Yes, there may be the odd place that is "full", but realistically I've found that "full" doesn't always mean "full" either. It does seem to be many gym's starting point to ensure they can back out if the gymnast isn't a good fit.

Good luck with your potential move and your gymnast. I wouldn't want my family split apart for gym, nor I am sure would my daughter. And I've no idea what siblings would think of dad moving so their sister could stay at a gym. Just all around not a great option, IMHO.

I would be interested to know by definition what "full' would be. Our gym is very heavy L9-10, which speaks volumes to our gyms success, however, I know of several L8 and L9 gymnasts who are interested in coming over to our gym at the end of this season. Is it possible for a gym to take on too many gymnasts? I can't imagine a gym owner turning anyone away. How do you know when a gym has maxed out their resources for the upper levels?

I would be interested to know by definition what "full' would be. Our gym is very heavy L9-10, which speaks volumes to our gyms success, however, I know of several L8 and L9 gymnasts who are interested in coming over to our gym at the end of this season. Is it possible for a gym to take on too many gymnasts? I can't imagine a gym owner turning anyone away. How do you know when a gym has maxed out their resources for the upper levels?
You have to have enough coaches with the experience and knowledge to sustain the upper level Optional gymnasts. You also have to have enough equipment so there is not a ton of "down time" during practices. And there has to be enough time in the schedule to get all levels their necessary practice time while not exceeding safe coach-gymnast ratios or having so many gymnasts in the gym at once that there is no room to move.

One other question that may now effect my dd. Seems like Easterns is the better side of the US for a level 9. With the larger number of age groups you have 16 1st place finishers vs 8 at Westerns. Am I missing something or does this seem like a disadvantage to the Western girls? (And if I am missing something obvious please don't flame me :oops:)

I feel your pain. My DDs have been in 10 homes in their lives, and they are 10 & 12! That's the life of a military family. Every big moves means new school. New friends, and new homes for activites. We are actually moving this summer, yet again, and now have gym in the mix too. When we moved from NY to CA 1.5 years ago we had trouble finding a dance school for the girls. None here could quite match the vibe that made them breathe dance- and we tried dozens. So it does happen where a fit it hard to make. The good thing about gymnastics is that there are standards for levels that travel well, and some standards for training also. I would never split the family up for a sport, but I do understand why you would consider it. Best of luck, and I am sure it will work out- seems as though any gym would love to have your DD.

One other question that may now effect my dd. Seems like Easterns is the better side of the US for a level 9. With the larger number of age groups you have 16 1st place finishers vs 8 at Westerns. Am I missing something or does this seem like a disadvantage to the Western girls? (And if I am missing something obvious please don't flame me :oops:)
I'm not sure what you mean here--there's still the same total number of girls making it to Easterns vs Westerns. Westerns just has bigger age groups. But if you're talking about bragging rights for placing, girls in Easterns are competing against fewer girls in their age group.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back