WAG Home work

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wsg13

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
I go to a school were marks are very important. My parents also believe this and are threatening to take me out of gym. I am in year 11 and struggling a lot. How do you all get time for home work?

I'm in 12th grade in the US and value my grades very highly. I sacrifice sleep in order to do my homework. I also work on homework between my classes and in other classes whenever I can. The biggest thing I do though is sacrifice sleep. I wish this was more helpful, sorry.

I go to a school were marks are very important. My parents also believe this and are threatening to take me out of gym. I am in year 11 and struggling a lot. How do you all get time for home work?
I'm guessing year 11 is similar to 11th grade in the US??
Are you struggling this year with your grades and is this the first year you have struggled?
If you've always had good grades and this year is different, I can understand why your parents are concerned. However I can understand that taking you out of gym might make you more worried!
My daughter is in HS and I know she does HW at lunch. The 'easy' stuff then. She does HW when she gets home from school and then finishes up after practice. It's not easy but for now it works.
How many hours a week are you at the gym? Sometimes my daughter takes a night off if she needs to catch up. Also, she goes late on occasion. This helps.
If you haven't yet, try making a schedule of what HW can be done when. Do the 'hard' stuff first and save easy for when you get home...or lunchtime.
Good luck!

I personally have always struggled with school. Its not that I don't understand things, they just take me a longer time than they do for most other people. Also, I have ADHD so it makes it harder for me to sit down and actually get my homework DONE. I am in college now, but in high school gymnastics was like my rock. Even if school sucked, I would go to gymnastics and wouldn't have to think about anything but gymnastics for three whole hours. One time in high school I failed a class and my parents made me take a couple weeks off of gymnastics. This was the worst possible thing for them to do because I had all this extra energy that I couldn't get rid of and it made it even harder to focus. I eventually found out though, that I was most productive right after school and in the mornings before school. I tried to get most of my homework done after school and then do most of the rest at night. What I didn't get done at night, I would get up early to finish. I tried not to do this though because I didn't always know how long the rest of my homework would take.

Also, I know this is really hard to do, but try to make yourself do homework as soon as it is assigned even if it isn't not due the next day. Sometimes its nice to have a little break, but its even nicer when you know you have one less thing to do. The other thing is that its okay to have a snack break or something, but don't let yourself get distracted by other things. I know that if I let myself say 'oh I'm just going to watch TV while I have a snack and then when I am done eating, I will do my homework' the homework part happens way later than it should.

I don't know if it will, but I hope this helps!

If schools in Australia go back at a similar time to New Zealand then you would've only been back a week or two.

I know when I was in high school the teachers really liked to pile the homework on during the first half of that first term. Going from a big summer break to school can be a bit of an adjustment period too.

If you're struggling to get everything done and the options stated above aren't enough maybe leave gym an hour early a few nights a week to give yourself that extra time for homework. Your coaches should understand that while gymnastics is important school is even more so. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back