WAG Hosting a Q&A; What will parents ask me?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
As a parent what I want is a clearly defined path for my child. Not necessarily timed, ie level x by next year, but I wanted a dummies guide to gym including the pathway and an indication of where my daughter is on that path, plus the requirements for moving onto the next step.

This is my daughters first year at coaching xcel and I had some wonderful advice from Raenndrops. THANK YOU! Her first meet is tomorrow and she has six girls 4 bronze and two silver. The girls look good and I will be up tonight night doing flip flops. She does have one girl who was not evaluated but they someone let her sign up. She has no gymnastic experience. They had a meeting with the HC and because she was already set up to compete before my daughter got there they will monitor her progress and are keeping her parents updated on what's going on so it won't be a shocker when they see she is not as polished as the other girls. Either way they are all excited.

Arron, usa gymnastics requires a membership fee from each athlete (and each coach must have a professional membership through USAG) every year in order to compete at sanctioned events. Certain states also have a separate athlete fee. I am not sure if every state does, but I know that mine does.

In addition, each coach that will be on the floor of a sanctioned event must have a current background check through usa gymnastics, a safety certification, and have completed the U100 course through USAG. I am not sure if you have a current instructor membership and thus, any of the above certifications, but wanted to give you a heads up.

XCEL really does vary a lot region to region, and even state to state. My region/state has a very competitive XCEL program, with many gyms using it in lieu of the complsory program, especially at the lower levels. Some states do not have this culture and use the program primarily for kids that don't want to commit to the JO program for one reason or another.

Also, different states run their seasons differently. Some states have compulsories primarily in he he fall and xcel/optionals in the spring, with their state meets in the corresponding seasons. Some states run two entirely different seasons with a fall state meet and a spring state meet... Some only run a spring season. It really depends on where you live.

If you want to PM me, I can see what I can dig up for you about your state's program.

This is my daughters first year at coaching xcel and I had some wonderful advice from Raenndrops. THANK YOU! Her first meet is tomorrow and she has six girls 4 bronze and two silver. The girls look good and I will be up tonight night doing flip flops. She does have one girl who was not evaluated but they someone let her sign up. She has no gymnastic experience. They had a meeting with the HC and because she was already set up to compete before my daughter got there they will monitor her progress and are keeping her parents updated on what's going on so it won't be a shocker when they see she is not as polished as the other girls. Either way they are all excited.
You are welcome... I hope you will let us know how they do. I am excited for them :)

Also, different states run their seasons differently. Some states have compulsories primarily in he he fall and xcel/optionals in the spring, with their state meets in the corresponding seasons. Some states run two entirely different seasons with a fall state meet and a spring state meet... Some only run a spring season. It really depends on where you live.

Ditto @AmandaLynn . I can tell you that Tennessee does (primarily) Compulsary in the fall with the State Meet in December and Xcel/Optionals in the spring with State Meet in March.

If you're not sure what meets you would like to attend, I would suggest looking at the meets that the JO program in your gym attends. Around here, most meets host both JO and Xcel. That would give you a good jumping off point for being able to tell parents approximately how many meets you want to attend and where. VERY important to a parent. Especially since that will determine team fees.

* If your gym hosts a meet, will Xcel be a part of it? Will the parents have required volunteering for the meet?
* What is your attendance policy? (Must attend 90% of practices to attend a meet, etc.)
* Have the level skill requirements available BEFORE the meeting. Parents will want to know where little Suzy stacks up.
* Will there be a summer camp?
* Make a point of getting contact information for all parents. Phone AND e-mail will be your lifesaver.

Good luck. Xcel is a TON of fun for the kids!

So I just wanted to let everyone know that I held the Q&A today and it went really well. Literally ALL of the eleven parents signed up afterwards, and they seemed to be at ease and happy. I was a bit nervous in the start, but I speak decently well and I was prepared, so it went great. I would like to thank all of you who contributed to this post! All your suggestions were really valued and I used a very large amount of these suggestions. You guys are great!!!:D

So did anyone ask you anything you weren't expecting?

This thread is so timely because I'm at the same exact spot you are. I want to start an Xcel team soon and compete next year. We are a rec only gym right now and I am having a hard time trying to figure it all out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back