Parents Hours in the gym...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I know there are a jillion posts about how many hours at what level, etc. This is a slightly different question. My daughter is on a Y team that competes USAG (not on a Y league) and my biggest complaint has always been that she is practicing about half the number of hours as the girls she competes against at meets. There is a new private team starting in town that I am considering and now I am trying to get my brain around what most of you have probably accepted as "normal" by now... the fact that, if my DD were to switch (no decisions have been made, and the new gym isn't even open yet) she would be going to the gym straight from school (one of the appealing things about the new gym is that it's only about a mile from her school) and then, four days a week, would be getting home pretty close to bed time (coach is saying 3 hours/day 3 days a week and 4 hours/day 1 day a week, which is probably pretty average, maybe even on the low end of average, for level 6, I'm thinking). So she'd leave for school around 7am and then not get home until 7:30-8:30pm 4 days out of 5. She LOVES gym and WANTS more hours (though she's not so sure about wanting to switch teams) but, after wishing for it for so long, the potential reality of it seems a bit daunting.

One positive is that the HC/owner of the new gym seems pretty flexible. She is saying that she knows that some kids want to do gym only and some want to be involved in other activities, so her requirement is that they come to enough practices to be able to do the skills at their level safely (other than the week before a meet, when everyone must come to all practices) so we could conceivably start off with 3 days and work into it. But I guess I'm interested in hearing from those of you for whom this kind of schedule is already normal. Do you try to do a late family dinner when your gymnast gets home? Do you miss her? (Is that a strange question?) What about those of you who went from a less-intensive gym to a more-intensive gym. How did your gymnast, and the family as a whole, adjust to that kind of transition?

Thanks, in advance, for sharing your experiences and advice.

My daughter would love more hours in the gym. We are a Y team but I think we may do more hours than you? She does 9 hours , 3 days 3 days a week. We compete mostly Y with a few USAG meets, although I understand we will be doing more USAG. I realize USAG gyms around here generally train more hours at level 5 and 6. Her friends train 12 hours. Now, I will say at this point there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in scores - in fact I'd say overall our girls score better. I think part of the difference is the other gym does a bit more uptraining, so perhaps there is more success in the upper levels? I don't know, not there yet. I do believe at some point it stands to reason that more hours in the gym will produce better skills. I think it's different for every gymnast though. I also believe more hours in the gym at a young age can create burnout. I've dealt with that with my older son with baseball. Sometimes more isn't always better, but again, every child is different.

I can see the appeal if it is what your daughter wants. For us here now my daughter loves her team and I don't think I could pay her to leave. She plays soccer and wants to swim (though not sure how she will do that) also so I am grateful that there are no more hours and dread when she has to increase them, because at some point I do think she will have to choose.

And I know this isn't really what you were asking lol. I don't have the gym experience to answer your other questions, although I do have 3 kids in sports all with crazy schedules. Generally during the heavy season, I try to plan and cook ahead of time, so we are not always eating on the run and junk food. Usually my boys if they are home after school, they will eat before their practice and usually come home again and eat! My gymnast goes right from school to gym and I pack her a snack and she eats usually leftovers by herself while I'm in the kitchen with her chatting. If we are all home we try to eat together, but saving dinner for later doesn't work well for us, mainly because I don't want to deal with all the late cleanup, everyone getting late showers, and school time is just busier. I know many families who do eat dinner around 7:30-8:00 and it works fine for them.

I know there are a jillion posts about how many hours at what level, etc. This is a slightly different question. My daughter is on a Y team that competes USAG (not on a Y league) and my biggest complaint has always been that she is practicing about half the number of hours as the girls she competes against at meets. There is a new private team starting in town that I am considering and now I am trying to get my brain around what most of you have probably accepted as "normal" by now... the fact that, if my DD were to switch (no decisions have been made, and the new gym isn't even open yet) she would be going to the gym straight from school (one of the appealing things about the new gym is that it's only about a mile from her school) and then, four days a week, would be getting home pretty close to bed time (coach is saying 3 hours/day 3 days a week and 4 hours/day 1 day a week, which is probably pretty average, maybe even on the low end of average, for level 6, I'm thinking). So she'd leave for school around 7am and then not get home until 7:30-8:30pm 4 days out of 5. She LOVES gym and WANTS more hours (though she's not so sure about wanting to switch teams) but, after wishing for it for so long, the potential reality of it seems a bit daunting.

One positive is that the HC/owner of the new gym seems pretty flexible. She is saying that she knows that some kids want to do gym only and some want to be involved in other activities, so her requirement is that they come to enough practices to be able to do the skills at their level safely (other than the week before a meet, when everyone must come to all practices) so we could conceivably start off with 3 days and work into it. But I guess I'm interested in hearing from those of you for whom this kind of schedule is already normal. Do you try to do a late family dinner when your gymnast gets home? Do you miss her? (Is that a strange question?) What about those of you who went from a less-intensive gym to a more-intensive gym. How did your gymnast, and the family as a whole, adjust to that kind of transition?

Moving from level 5 to level 6 my DD has increased her hours from 6 to 7.5 and this is where it maxes out... even the level 7/8 girls only practice 7.5 hours a week.

Previously, I know that the level 6's at our gym practiced 16 hours a week. Even though DD's gym is trying a new approach (2nd yr. 5/prep op team), those girls are still there 16 hours. This new gym's hours for level 6 is the equivalent of the level 5's at DD's gym. Good luck to whatever you decide! Sounds like this new HC would be reasonable in adjusting schedules as needed.

Interesting. Our level 7s and 8s usually do 4 days, though some 7s do 3 still. 9s I believe do more, not quite sure though.
Moving from level 5 to level 6 my DD has increased her hours from 6 to 7.5 and this is where it maxes out... even the level 7/8 girls only practice 7.5 hours a week.

There are definitely Y teams around that train longer hours, it is very evident when you go to Nationals.
Interesting. Our level 7s and 8s usually do 4 days, though some 7s do 3 still. 9s I believe do more, not quite sure though.

My niece is at a Y gym doing USAG. They train 3 hours 3 times a week which is below a lot of L 5s in the area. There's an optional practice time for them as well (separate from open gym, the coaches are there and almost every girl comes, but some girls do religious ed things or an intro softball class. As they go up in the levels they discourage all that but they think it's important not push new girls, even team girls, into too much too soon.

I went through a gym similar to the Y myself, it was run through the town's rec district, and had similar practice hours to that. When my mom drove me I didn't get any higher than 20 hours at L 10 and when I finally was able to drive myself, I maxed out at around L 10. I really think the fewer hours kept me engaged in gymnastics longer, I never felt burnt out or exhausted. I would actually beg and plead to do more hours! Our gym was the closest gym for almost 100 miles in any direction and so that combined with finances was really was dictated my schedule at the end of the day. But my one cousin is just a year older than me and we grew up together and started gymnastics around the same time. She lived in the suburb of capital of our state where there are loads of gyms. She was training 3-almost 10 hours a week more than me throughout gymnastics and when she was in optionals she was over it and switches to cheerleading.

Though like I said when I started driving I upped my own hours. I'd leave for school at 6:30 am, get out 2:50 ish, drop my sister off at dance at her studio the town over, then I'd make it to practice mostly warmed up and ready to go (depending on the weather on the interstate lol)

So yeah if she's making her own decisions about practice time and its feasible for your family it might be something worth checking out. But more hours don't always equal more success, particularly at the compulsory levels. I've noticed at my niece's Y and my city funded gym the time spent seems to be focused a lot on quality.

Good luck! Keep us updated :)

My dd went from a gym that trained 4-6 hours a week for Level 4 to a new gym that trained 10 hours (3 days) for level 5 and then 19.5 for level 7 (level 6 score out only). And she made that transition in less than 2 years. And it was quite a transition. We also drive 30 -40 minutes to the gym so it makes meals and homework even more challenging. We usually pack a snack and dinner and eat in the car and spend some of the car ride doing homework. It is definitely a family adjustment, but we are figuring it out. Family dinners are a thing of the past except on weekends! Good luck with the decision!

My DD is in the gym 20 hours a week. This is her 3rd year with this schedule so I guess at this point we are used to it.
Last school year she got home around 3:30, sat down and started HW, while I fixed her a meal. We left at 4:15 for gym and she got home about 9:45 pm. Whatever we had for dinner I just made her a plate and she then ate it when she got home. It's not ideal but it worked.

This year she is starting middle school and I am sure with that will come a lot more HW. I am not sure how she is going to handle it all. I believe that she will handle it fine but am still concerned.

I know that it is a shock when you go from limited hours to a lot if hours. It seems overwhelming but you really do adjust.

Yes, I do miss her, some days more then others but I know she is where she wants to be, doing what she loves.

My DD's gym does 2 days a week, 4 hours each (8 hours per week) for level 4s and 5s. Some 5s and the 6s do 3 days a week, 4 hours (so 12 hours), and then optional girls (usually 7-8) go 4 days for 4 hours (16 hours) and the level 9, 10s, and elites (we don't have any elites right now, but we did a year or two ago) go 5 days a week for 4 hours, plus any other optionals (7s and 8s) that want the extra time. So that's 20 hours a week for the max. To me, that's less or equal to a part time job, so it's not too big of a deal. Currently my DD is only 9, but once she's a teenager and she's spending that many hours at the gym (if she continues), I'd rather her be there, working on her gymnastics, than getting into trouble. :)

My girls are pretty much at the gym 4 days per week from 3:30ish to 7 or 8 each night. Between then two of them, someone is there every single night.
The girls come home from school, immediately change into leotards, eat a quick snack, and get as much homework done as possible before we leave for the gym. Older DD does homework in the car too. We have it arranged with the teachers that they get their homework at the beginning of the week. That way, on the one day off for each of them from gym, they can get it all done.
My husband, tiny DD and I eat dinner and then whoever comes home from gym late just eats late...and then straight to bed. It is crazy but for the most part they handle it really well. Older DD better than younger DD.

My gymmie has always had a schedule of going right from school to gym then home. Never had the luxury of coming home to get a snack or do some homework. Since she's done it that way for so long, I guess we're used to it. If she's overloaded with homework or has a test she has to study for and needs extra time, we get her out early. Normally she's home about 7:45pm. We do not hold dinner--just save something for her or she gets something for herself when she gets home.

JMO, I would not jump to join a new gym that isn't open. I would give them this year to get coaches hired and the program up and running. The one comment the owner made about allowing kids to come when they need to so they can get skills sounds nice to parents, but could lead to a real mess---who would tell you that your dd "has" all of her skills. Doesn't lend itself to growing as a team either.

My girls are pretty much at the gym 4 days per week from 3:30ish to 7 or 8 each night. Between then two of them, someone is there every single night.
The girls come home from school, immediately change into leotards, eat a quick snack, and get as much homework done as possible before we leave for the gym. Older DD does homework in the car too. We have it arranged with the teachers that they get their homework at the beginning of the week. That way, on the one day off for each of them from gym, they can get it all done.
My husband, tiny DD and I eat dinner and then whoever comes home from gym late just eats late...and then straight to bed. It is crazy but for the most part they handle it really well. Older DD better than younger DD.

You sound like one of the moms at DD's gym. She has 3 gymnasts-one boy (level 6) and 2 girls (level 4 and level 8). During the school year, they are there 6 days a week, since the optional daughter practices Tu-Sat, the other 2 during the week. I know she and her husband arrange pick-ups where the child who is not doing gym gets to go home. Watching them make me glad that I only have one gymmie. :)

JMO, I would not jump to join a new gym that isn't open. I would give them this year to get coaches hired and the program up and running. The one comment the owner made about allowing kids to come when they need to so they can get skills sounds nice to parents, but could lead to a real mess---who would tell you that your dd "has" all of her skills. Doesn't lend itself to growing as a team either.

Yes... I think her flexibility is meant to be the antithesis of the other private gym in town which is very much "If you miss a meet to go to your cousin's wedding, you're off the team!" We may end up waiting a year. I just don't know. Frustrated by SO many things where we are now...

My DD switched gyms just over a year ago and in went into what I would say is a more structured and serious program. She went from 12hrs a week to 16hrs a week adn now will be doing 20hrs.

Overall everything worked well and it has been a very positive experience for both of us. She was concerned about fitting in and leaving behind her friends as she is on the shy side, but it did not take long and she was just as comfortable with her new group. Now this season (just started Monday for us) she has been placed with a new group again with the head coaches. It is not like she does not know of the girls in this group; they are just older and it is change which always leads to a bit of nervousness.

I have told my daughter that like anything else it just takes time to adjust. I try to encourage her to see the positive of getting used to making and having more new friends. Just like school and as you go through life these things happen all the time. She accepted that and her first day was great.

For fitting in meal times, as she is an only child it really does not mess up the entire family. We pick her up at 3pm (she misses one class four days a week) to be at gym for 3:30pm and then she finishes at 8:30pm. What I find works for us is that I make sure she has a very large breakfast - breakfast milk and two eggs minimum - and then at school they are served hot lunches so she has a good base to start the day.

On the way to gym she eats her snack in the car, usually a wrap, and then she does get a break for another snack at gym. By the time she comes home she sometimes will have a snack, but for the most part she is okay. I think the pattern works for her as she is more of a grazer rather than sitting and eating a large meal at one time anyways.

I think no matter what you decide your daughter will adjust and be happy; then just when you are in a routine things will change again. That is what I have seen in our short time in this sport and we find it easier to roll with it as long as my daughter is still having fun and keeping up with her school.

But I guess I'm interested in hearing from those of you for whom this kind of schedule is already normal. Do you try to do a late family dinner when your gymnast gets home? Do you miss her? (Is that a strange question?) What about those of you who went from a less-intensive gym to a more-intensive gym. How did your gymnast, and the family as a whole, adjust to that kind of transition?

What is "normal" anyway??? LOL! My girls transitioned from a less to a more intensive program. I too worried about how they would do coming from a gym that trained minimal hours. There was definitely an adjustment period for one of my dds, the others were fine from day 1. I can tell you that they are all thriving in their new environment, skill-wise and emotionally, so all is good :) We squeeze in meals with whomever is home, and pack lunch/dinner to be eaten on the way home for whomever is getting picked up. Definitely not ideal, but we make it work and everyone seems happy.

We homeschool so the pressures of homework is not with us but the other aspects are. For meals - it depends on if she is hungry and whether she ate a late lunch. She will either have a snack or a small portion of dinner (usually a high carb like pasta) on the car ride to the gym. She usually gets some of her daily reading done then too. On the way back for gym she will again either have a snack/dessert or dinner depending on how she ate earlier. We have been doing it this way for 3 years and found it works well for us. Last year she was only in the gym 3hr x 3days for 9hr. this year it's 4hr x 4days. I have no idea how she would survive in traditional school with all the homework and she'd be going into middle school too. But regardless, they are super long days. She gets up early in the morning to get all her work done in time before gym and this year she won't be home until almost 9pm (gym is 30 minutes away). It will be tough for her. but I also don't have a problem shortening her hours if I'm seeing she's getting tired.

Among many questions I would consider asking, these are probably top of mind: what is DD's goal (near and long term) - is she old enough to know what she wants (sorry, don't know by your post how old she is); what does she need "more" of and why?

If your DD's goal is to continue into optionals, then your decision about which gym can properly prepare her needs more consideration. If it is merely to compete the next level (6?) more competitively than the Y, then switching gyms to one that isn't even open yet, isn't necessarily a good reason to move.

Family time is affected with each increase in hrs (any sport). School is #1 in our family and all my children are honor students in the regular public school system so sports do not affect that. Mealtimes in our family, during the week, don't happen except for the rare occasion. With every child doing a sport competitively vs. recreationally, we are on a tight schedule. We've learned to maximize time in the car, waiting periods, etc. Balance is ideal, but let's be honest - nothing you want to excel in is going to come without some sacrifice. That said, everyone in the family needs to understand what that means for them.

What does more training time gain her? She "wants" "more" time, but what would that allow her - faster progression in developing skills, moving levels faster? Has her progress so far been hampered by the limited training hours, or is the training not "good" enough to get her where she wants to be? Is she getting skills quicker than the current gym can train her?

DD moved gyms several years ago from a mediocre competitive gym to one which is an elite gym. She did not increase her hrs, in fact she was training a little less. It wasn't the AMOUNT OF TIME she trained, it was the level of expertise in coaching AND the manner in which the practices were organized that made the difference in her being a mediocre gymnast to one that holds her own in the top standings. In less than a year's time (we made the move and she competed a few months later) she made such progress in skills, execution, technique and form that she was a completely different gymnast, proven by her State Championship. Her passion was also re-ignited with the change. It wasn't about the scores, it was about being a better gymnast. She felt she accomplished more in the same or LESS amount of training time and for her that was a great feeling.

So IMHO it's not one question with one answer. It's a complex consideration and MORE does NOT always equate to BETTER.

Not ready to start talking too much about DD's current gym in a public forum yet since we don't know what our plans are for this next year, but if we do make the decision to switch, it will not be made lightly (DD has been in her current gym since she was 5 years old... half her young life!) and will have not only her gymnastics progression in mind but also her well-being, both emotionally and physically. There are many different issues at play, but many of them just boil down to two words... fed up. :p

If/when the decision is made to switch, I promise to share more.

I have two gymnasts, at two different gyms, someone is in the gym every weeknight.

DS is 11, three days a week he leaves home at 8.00am and arrives back home with DH at 8.30pm. DD leaves home at 8.00am and arrives home at 7.30pm two nights a week. They both go from school to gym, there is a 1 hr break between the two, but distance/travel time means we don't have the luxury of coming home before gym.

It has been a huge adjustment for all of us as a family and it has taken a lot of effort to make it work for us.

I find that I have to be incredibly organised. I now have a repetoire of make ahead, serve in stages meals (my slow cooker works overtime). Family dinners during the week just do not happen for us any more. On the nights that I have one child home with me I will eat with them, and then DH and the other child eat when they come home.

Both kids will eat a substantial snack between school and gym (neither of them get a snack break during training). DD eats dinner in the car on the way home. DS and DH eat when they arrive home.

Homework we mostly manage to juggle ok. Teachers have agreed to give homework on Mon, they have a week to complete it. They both know that they will have to work on it over the weekend. The gym schedule has taught them to be super organised regarding homework and study.

Yes I do miss them. Some weeks more than others. I also miss the time together as a family, just hanging out at night. To be honest sometimes I feel as though all I do is rush them... rush them out the door of a morning, rush to gym and then when they get home it is late and I am rushing them off to bed.
It was also a big change to get used to the fact that the evening routine of dinner/shower/bed for kids/get organised for the next day now takes till 9.00 - 9.30 pm. Feeding everyone in shifts can feel like you are constantly in the kitchen and/or cleaning up.

DS moved gyms when his previous gym ceased their MAG program. The new gym is certainly a much more intense program. The hours and expectations are much greater. He went from being on a very small team with a range of levels and ages training together to a much larger team, separated by age and level. It was a huge learning curve for DS and looking back it took him a couple of months to adjust.

Having said all of the above, it is now normal for us. We have adjusted, the kids are no longer dead tired from the late arrival home and they are still loving gymnastics.

Good luck with your decision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back