# Hours/week do you spend in the gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I was wondering how may hours others spend in the gym. I'm training level 7 and I do 24 hour a week, six days and four hours each day. What abut you?

Last year I did 18hrs/wk as a level 8, but my body couldn't really handle it and I was always hurting. This year I'm doing about 10hrs/wk in advanced prep op and it's definately working a lot better for me. :)

DD does 5 days a week 18 - 20 hours a week L7 - all the Optionals have the same schedule.

I spent practically no time in the gym ;-). DD, OTOH, is there 20.5 hrs a week--she's a level 9. Our 9s and 10s go the same amount. Level 7s & 8s go one less day (16 hrs) a week.

I'm a level 7 and I do 19 hrs/week. Sometimes I go for an additional 2 or 3 hours, but that means four days of practice in a row and my schoolwork can't really take that.

First of all that seems like an excessive amount that you are going! All our optionals do the same, 12 hours per week. 4 nights, 3 hours per night.
They are not top placing gym but training schedule is enough to be enjoyable with juggling everything else life throws at us.

I would guess it also matters how much equipment your gym has and how many people are in each training group. Our compulsory girls have comparatively light hours (only 9 required and two extra are optional), but the gym has several beams and sets of bars, including a strap bar and pit bar. One coach per apparatus, and groups are around 8. The hours go up as the levels advance (level 7 adds about 3 hours a week, I think), but I don't think the gym ever has girls working out more than 25 hours a week. It seems to work, as the gym regularly sends girls to J.O. regionals and nationals, though they are not on the podium at nationals usually. I could be wrong about this, but I think that the training schedule helps to keep the attrition rate on the low side as the girls advance, both because they have time to do other things and because they aren't getting overtraining injuries.

For those who are spending 15+ hours in the gym as L5-7s, how much of that time is devoted to conditioning and strength? And how much to dance?

Dd is a level 6 and does 13 hours a week (plus there's 1.5 hours of open gym that are sometimes productive and sometimes just fun). Next year it will be 17... Plus it sounds like it will be 23 this summer.

DD is currently there 9.5 hrs a week as a level 4. Starting in the spring, she will be there 12 when she moves to lv.5. The hrs at her gym top out at 20 for level 7 and above. That seems to be the norm where we live.

DD level 4- 12 hours- add 1hour for level 5, and 1.5 hour to that for Level 6 at her gym- open gym is an extra 1.5 hours a week- it is optional, but DD likes it so, if you add that in 13.5 hours. Our gym has a lot of training hours but is very flexible/forgiving with missing practices for family commitments, vacations, dances, sleepovers, and generally being a kid- no guilt trips at all, I like that :)

I am level 6 and train 10hrs but I am supposed to train 13 but my coach lets me miss a day because I am in year 12 (equivalent to senior year)

All levels at my gym go 12 hours (+ optional 3)- 3 days 4 times per week + optional 3 hours another day. That is from about level 4-around 8 (most around 6). I go for 15 hours per week being around level 8. Last year I didn't go the extra hours but not working on more difficult skills I felt like a needed at least a little extra time in the gym. Each class has 30-45 minutes conditioning. 30 minute warm up. And once a week we have 45 minutes of beam dance and 45 minutes of floor dance.

Precompetitive team (age 6) is 9 hours a week for DD. She does a couple more hours when you count in ballet and skating. Feels like a whole lot of hours...

I am level two (Canada, so like level 6) and I train 12 hours a week. 2 three hour practices, one 5 hour practice and a 1 hour private (the private is purely because I love gymnastics, not so I'll have some sort of one up over everyone else. Besides my privates are basically just uptraining and I share the lesson with my sister .) It works super well for our gym as we had many girls on the podium at Provincials!

First of all that seems like an excessive amount that you are going! All our optionals do the same, 12 hours per week. 4 nights, 3 hours per night.
They are not top placing gym but training schedule is enough to be enjoyable with juggling everything else life throws at us.
our gym is the same...DD is L5 and goes 11 hours...all optionals at her gym go 12 hours, with I think the option to go a 5th day/15 hours, but most don't do it.

Our gyms philosophy is about the same...owners are pretty chill while we don't take top of the podium we do place and do only 13.5 hours a week for Optionals.

It is not always about quanity versus quality and balance for the rest of your life.

I always say there are prgrams out there for everyone and you should enjoy the one you are at or move to one you like......One prgram does not fit all needs we are not all made the same

Our LV4's and 5's have 6-8 hours a week. 3 days, 2 hours each. Then open gym 2 hours on Saturdays. But, we are at the YMCA so the hours are a little less. Plus my DD's do 2 more hours of tumbling. Our LV 6 and up are there an extra 1.5 hours a week plus open gym if they attend. My DD's would love to be in a private club where they could practice everyday, but I can't afford it! So, they YMCA it is, but that is ok. I coach there also and they love the time we get to spend in the gym together.

I'm competing Prep Op Silver this year, and I go 9 hours and 15 minutes a week, 3 days a week. If I need to make up a practice, I go an extra day for 3 hours.

I'm 13, almost 14. The other prop op Silver in my gym is 8, so she only trains 4 hours a week.

Level 6, Prep Op Gold, and Prep op Platinum in my gym go the same amount of hours that I go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back